The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old August 23rd, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default Justice League Canada???

I thought this was a joke at first...

DC Comics to launch Justice League Canada in 2014 by Jeff Lemire

In addition, Lemire says that he will be bringing back Adam Strange, a Silver Age DC character, a swashbuckling archaeologist who is transported to the far-off planet of Rann. In this new incarnation, he will also be Canadian.
ddf
I have a feeling Green Arrow will be migrating up to the Maple country as well.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old August 23rd, 2013   JRM is offline   #2
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Default Okay I didn't see this one ... "JLC???"

On the front page of the Toronto Star ... Justice League Canada written by Lemire...

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...a_in_2014.html

Make of it what you will.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 23rd, 2013   JRM is offline   #3
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I thought this was a joke at first...

DC Comics to launch Justice League Canada in 2014 by Jeff Lemire

I have a feeling Green Arrow will be migrating up to the Maple country as well.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Damn you beat me by 4 minutes - and i thought I had a real scoop <smirk> Mods, I guess you should blend the two threads, .... eh (just to be Canadian, eh)

Jim

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 23rd, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #4
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

You beat me by 4 minutes by letting you know I already started a thread so we're even old buddy

Old August 23rd, 2013   JRM is offline   #5
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I posted this in the Justice League forum, Jim

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/show....php?p=1870417
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Yeah I know, this is seeming like a comedy sketch, eh.

Actually it maybe better called Justice League Moosonee. Oh and the Nu Adam Strange is ..... wait for it .... a Canuck. Now it is time to await for the howls to start. But we should have guessed it - his uniform is a red and white motif.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 23rd, 2013   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

I wonder who else will be members.

No issue with Strange being Canadian here, his being from Earth, being an archeologist, going to Rann probably all higher priorities than being from the US.

Old August 23rd, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #7
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Didn't they try and retcon Booster as being Canadian in the DCnU?

Old August 23rd, 2013   JRM is offline   #8
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

A bit more on topic from The Outhouse ...

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.p...ff-lemire.html

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 23rd, 2013   chasm is offline   #9
chasm
Master Geoffan

Along with the announcement that Ben Affleck will portray Batman in the Man of Steel sequel, this is par for the course for DC & Warner Brothers.

Heh. I imagine the guys over at Marvel are giggling and popping open the champagne.

Old August 23rd, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #10
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Really?

Really?

OK, I love Lemire's DC work to bits. His contributions to The Trinity War are hard to miss, and he's made Green Arrow and Animal Man must-reads. But this sounds more than a bit bizarre. I have to wonder how this came about.

I guess this also means Johns is off JLA (JLC) already. But having Lemire and DeMatteis on the secondary JL books is not a bad thing.

Simon DelMonte
Old August 23rd, 2013   chasm is offline   #11
chasm
Master Geoffan

No disrespect to Canada, but this seems like an attempt to recreate the "Bwah-hah-hah!" League in all its glory. I feel like the surprise return of Ted Kord is imminent. Guess that means that poor Jaimie will be shot through the head or eaten by some alien predator before too long.

The most telling line of the interview:

Lemire twice promised the Star that this wasn't a joke, although he admits that he didn't think Dan Didio was serious when he came up with the idea.
ddf
That explains everything!

One thing's for sure, you just know Marvel is about to blow off the dust and crank up another volume of Alpha Flight any minute.
Last edited by chasm; August 23rd, 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Old August 23rd, 2013   SmilingKnight is offline   #12
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

I'm okay with everything except the chance that it will just be a joke book. When Marvel tried to a humor Alpha Flight, it only made it 4 issues.

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old August 23rd, 2013   Lady Obie is offline   #13
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

Along with the announcement that Ben Affleck will portray Batman in the Man of Steel sequel, this is par for the course for DC & Warner Brothers.

Heh. I imagine the guys over at Marvel are giggling and popping open the champagne.
ddf
chasm View Post
I'm seeing a number of posters in various forums and mbs wondering if it's April Fools Day because of these 2 announcements.

But no, it's really August 23rd...

yep August 23rd!

And if we find out in about 2 hours that Dan Didio has deposed the world leadership and taken over the world we should not be surprised!

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old August 23rd, 2013   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

I'm seeing a number of posters in various forums and mbs wondering if it's April Fools Day because of these 2 announcements.

But no, it's really August 23rd...

yep August 23rd!

And if we find out in about 2 hours that Dan Didio has deposed the world leadership and taken over the world we should not be surprised!
ddf
Lady Obie View Post
Aug 23 = 8/23 = 8 + 2 + 3 = 13 = 1 + 3 = 4
April 1 = 3/1 = 3 + 1 = 4

Numerology tells us there is a connection!

:P

Old August 23rd, 2013   JRM is offline   #15
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

No disrespect to Canada, but this seems like an attempt to recreate the "Bwah-hah-hah!" League in all its glory. I feel like the surprise return of Ted Kord is imminent. Guess that means that poor Jaimie will be shot through the head or eaten by some alien predator before too long.

The most telling line of the interview:

That explains everything!

One thing's for sure, you just know Marvel is about to blow off the dust and crank up another volume of Alpha Flight any minute.
ddf
chasm View Post
Lemire is not known for doing bwah-hah-hah in anyform, so I don't think that it will have that feel at all. Didn't Marvel do a "Canadian" Avengers type thing during the Cival War era.

Honestly, it is really about time that DC has a Canadian Character of note. Yes I know Wes Dodd in E2 is Canadian, as was Flying Fox back in the day with All Star Squadron and I think that there was a Global Guardian of somesort ... Perhaps the most fleshed out "Canadian" character was Plastque as used by Cary Bates in Capt. Atom. Like to know why it took DC over 30 years to do anything, while Marvel had Alpha Flight (and remember it's first run lasted 130 or so issues ... And for the first 15 or so years Logan background was seen to be primarily Canadian.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 23rd, 2013   mmk123 is offline   #16
mmk123
Geoffan

So I wonder if Justice League of America is being cancelled in favor of Justice League Canada or will we see some of the members of the JLA defect to the JLC?