The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 30th, 2013   Jude Deluca is offline   #1
Jude Deluca
Neo Geoffan

Default The Green Arrow/Shado/Black Canary situation

Hi everyone.

I apologize if this is a sore subject for anyone, but it's been on my mind for a long time and I want to get my facts straight, so please correct me (or, at least TRY to correct me).

Green Arrow was raped by Shado while he was delirious and sick, and she became pregnant with a son named Robert.

Black Canary has acted as if Green Arrow actually cheated on her with Shado.

Writers retconned into Green Arrow's backstory a history of promiscuity.

At least one author, Tony Bedard, wrote Black Canary asserting to Oracle that Green Arrow was indeed raped by Shado and it was not consensual. Was this before or after the GA/BC marriage debacle?

In Blackest Night, J.T. Krul retconned the rape into being consensual, with Oliver actually calling Shado "my nightingale." Or did J.T. Krul keep the rape and added in the consensual sex afterwards? Immediately after the rape instead of years later?

This is REGARDLESS of Flashpoint retconning away anything. I need to get my facts straight.

Are these the events which transpired after Green Arrow was raped by Shado, during which time the rape actually WAS rape before J.T. Krul retconned it.

"I'm gonna be a prince! You hear me?!" - Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Old June 30th, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #2
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

This sort of thing is way I really don't mind the vast amount of retcon on Ollie. More than most DC heroes, Ollie's life was a mess.

Simon DelMonte
Old June 30th, 2013   Jude Deluca is offline   #3
Jude Deluca
Neo Geoffan

This sort of thing is way I really don't mind the vast amount of retcon on Ollie. More than most DC heroes, Ollie's life was a mess.
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
My problem is that, if Canary DID shame Oliver for the rape, and then it was retconned into being consensual sex, that seems to justify her rape shaming.

Old July 4th, 2013   Devlyn16 is offline   #4
Devlyn16
CODA

Another question to throw into the mix is

From a western veiwpoint what Shado did is considered rape, but from her cultural view piont is it also considered rape?

I don't know the answer to this but I've encountered enough cultural divide to know the Norms for one culture may be far from the norms in another .

Is it wrong to Quote the Devil if what he is saying is true?
Old July 5th, 2013   Jude Deluca is offline   #5
Jude Deluca
Neo Geoffan

I have no idea, unfortunately.