The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 24th, 2012   sylpemberton is offline   #1
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

Default nu52: Your Personal Fails and Wins.

Going into the New 52 I was excited about some books that really didn't pan out. I was also a little blah about some that really got me interested in this new universe. So I ask you? What were your personal surprises - the books you liked that you never expected to like? The books you hated that you expected to love?

For me the books I wanted to love but ended up hating were the following:

Firestorm - I wanted a simplified version of the Firestorm concept. Take it back to a fresh faced kid who just merged with Prof. Stein and keep it easy to follow. Have some fun adventures. Build a supporting cast around family and friends. This one has been anything but what I wanted. The back story is muddled and too complicated. There's 10 zillion "Firestorms" running around. And the whole "Fury" thing is making me laugh. This one missed the "Keep it Simple" mark altogether for me. Nothing about these characters is making me like them. The sad thing is I really want to enjoy a Firestorm book. I was a huge fan of the Ronnie Raymond book, but nothing since has quite captured me in the same way...

Justice League International - I want to love this book. In the 80s I had a love affair with the JLI. I can be found all throughout the letter pages. I was part of the Booster Brigade. But I do have to remind myself why i dropped reading it way back then...it was when Dan Jurgens took over LOL. This one just seems to be going through the motions and telling a generic team book type story. I expect more in my comics these days and sadly have dropped this one.

Mister Terrific - My JSA fix in the new universe right? Well that became painful after the first issue. It was like the writer never read anything that Mister Terrific ever appeared in. This character was downright unlikable to me. I got turned off early on. I read several issues and just got more and more angry with what I was reading. This series was so far off the mark from what I wanted and the character left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope he's not tied into Earth 2 in any way.

Savage Hawkman - Did anything happen in the first five issues? I really feel like I slept through a movie here. This series just bored me. And looking back I don't remember any character development, or any of the plot. The art wasn't doing anything for me either. Sad. I like the Hawkman concept. I want to know who this character is. But I feel like I know nothing which made it easy to walk away.

Blue Beetle - Perhaps the title i'm saddest about walking away from. I love Blue Beetle. I loved Ted from the Charlton days onward. I was VP of the Beetle Branch of the Booster Brigade. I loved Jamie in his first series. I loved Paco. I loved Brenda. This series hasn't worked for me. I hate the changes to Paco. I hate that he's all ganged out. I hate that the humour seems gone. This one makes me incredibly sad.

Legion Lost - One that's on the bubble. I'm ready to walk away. I've collected Legion for years. These characters are the ones I want to read about. But I hate the concept here. And it hasn't been pulled off well. I can see it having some fun, but so far it's just not working, and the book seems scattered. Too focused on the concept and not enough character building for me I'm afraid. Not looking forward to the tie ins with other books either to be honest. I may walk away with the upcoming crossovers.

Books I was happily surprised with?

Supergirl - Something is really working for me here. I've enjoyed the stories. I walk away feeling I have a grasp on the character. The stories have been kept short and concise, but with some overall continuing arcs. The art has been great. Really have been enjoying this one.

Captain Atom - This one is just plain out there weirdness. It has been a fun book from the start. Enjoying putting it all together and the art? It so fits the story. I really think this is taking the "new Universe" committee and making it work. Everything I wanted from Firestorm, I'm getting in Captain Atom.

Wonder Woman - I've been an off and on reader of Wonder Woman for years, and frankly it's been off lately. This series has me wanting more though, and I'm enjoying the art, the take on the gods and all the other things going for it. Really enjoyable so far. I can't wait to see where it goes. And although an ongoing story since issue 1, i feel we are getting character development as we go which works. I went into this a little skeptical but this has been working so far.

I Vampire - This is a gem. Really intriguing story so far. I'm loving it. The art is beautiful. The story has me pulled right in. It's now the first book I reach for when it comes out. Good job DC for doing something different and doing it well. It's going to be interesting to see how a mass population of vampires affects other books over the years...

Old February 24th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #2
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

So far I have only read the first issue of Wonder Woman and the first 2 of Aqua Man.

I have been very happy with both and will continue with them.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old February 24th, 2012   leonmallett is offline   #3
leonmallett
comics fan

I went in with low expectations really, the whole thing did not grab me.

That said some stuff failed for my tastes (Mr. Terrific - just not done 'right' in any way; Captain Atom gave up after 2 issues as it seemed pretty impenetrable and going nowhere slowly).

On the flip-side, Hawk and Dove has been lots of fun for me. Legion Lost has had some good moments, but like Blue Beetle has taken too long to get to where I am happy with as a reader, but both are picking up. Legion of Superheroes pretty much carries on from before, so safe territory for an existing reader.

But H&D aside, the two comics I have been enjoying kost are neither of them new 52: Shade and THUNDER Agents. Add in an enjoyable so far Ray mini series and there are some other decent DCU books outside of the 52 ongoings.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old February 24th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #4
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Going into the New 52 I was excited about some books that really didn't pan out. I was also a little blah about some that really got me interested in this new universe. So I ask you? What were your personal surprises - the books you liked that you never expected to like? The books you hated that you expected to love?

For me the books I wanted to love but ended up hating were the following:

Firestorm - I wanted a simplified version of the Firestorm concept. Take it back to a fresh faced kid who just merged with Prof. Stein and keep it easy to follow. Have some fun adventures. Build a supporting cast around family and friends. This one has been anything but what I wanted. The back story is muddled and too complicated. There's 10 zillion "Firestorms" running around. And the whole "Fury" thing is making me laugh. This one missed the "Keep it Simple" mark altogether for me. Nothing about these characters is making me like them. The sad thing is I really want to enjoy a Firestorm book. I was a huge fan of the Ronnie Raymond book, but nothing since has quite captured me in the same way...

Justice League International - I want to love this book. In the 80s I had a love affair with the JLI. I can be found all throughout the letter pages. I was part of the Booster Brigade. But I do have to remind myself why i dropped reading it way back then...it was when Dan Jurgens took over LOL. This one just seems to be going through the motions and telling a generic team book type story. I expect more in my comics these days and sadly have dropped this one.

Mister Terrific - My JSA fix in the new universe right? Well that became painful after the first issue. It was like the writer never read anything that Mister Terrific ever appeared in. This character was downright unlikable to me. I got turned off early on. I read several issues and just got more and more angry with what I was reading. This series was so far off the mark from what I wanted and the character left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope he's not tied into Earth 2 in any way.

Savage Hawkman - Did anything happen in the first five issues? I really feel like I slept through a movie here. This series just bored me. And looking back I don't remember any character development, or any of the plot. The art wasn't doing anything for me either. Sad. I like the Hawkman concept. I want to know who this character is. But I feel like I know nothing which made it easy to walk away.

Blue Beetle - Perhaps the title i'm saddest about walking away from. I love Blue Beetle. I loved Ted from the Charlton days onward. I was VP of the Beetle Branch of the Booster Brigade. I loved Jamie in his first series. I loved Paco. I loved Brenda. This series hasn't worked for me. I hate the changes to Paco. I hate that he's all ganged out. I hate that the humour seems gone. This one makes me incredibly sad.
ddf
sylpemberton View Post
100% agree/endorse/mirror everything you said above. I felt the EXACT same way about all of the above.

I have to add that DEMON KNIGHTS looked like a winner to me as a fan of fantasy/sword & sorcery. TOTAL FAILURE. It's mind boggling to think that a comic with Etrigan, Vandal Savage, Madame Xanadu and the Shining Knight (well, kind of, the Morrison version is okay, I guess) set in the past did not thrill me. But it didn't.

As for what was better than expected?

Birds of Prey. That's about it for me. And even it couldn't keep me engaged enough past issue 5 to keep buying it.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 24th, 2012   Matches is offline   #5
Matches
stepping aside

Biggest surprise hits for me: Batwing, Red Hood, Flash, and Aquaman.

Biggest disappointments: Batgirl, Firestorm, Catwoman.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 24th, 2012   Simon DelMonte is offline   #6
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Biggest disappointment:
- Stormwatch. I thought I would love, and found the first issue painful in all ways. Given that Demon Knights is a similar book but that I like it, Cornell's failure here is that much more baffling.
- Firestorm. So many good ideas fell by the wayside to make way for this disjointed series. I suppose that it was inevitable, though, once it became clear that the writers were not on the same page and that Gail Simone was being wasted
- Superman. Still following this, but any hopes that Perez would match his work from the 80s ended fast. There are lots of good things here, but Supes is not one of them just yet.

Surprises:
- Batman and Robin. I'm been lukewarm about Tomasi, and bought the first issue on a whim. And it's been my favorite Batman book, and continues to develop Damian far beyond what I thought was possible.
- Resurrection Man. I came into this with high hopes, but really didn't expect this book to be as bizarre or unpredictable as it has been. Nothing like DnA previous work, that's for sure.

Simon DelMonte
Old February 24th, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #7
Outside_85
persona non grata

Biggest Surprises:
Wonder Woman; was apprehensive about it considering the past years, but its turned out to be a blast.
Catwoman; added it for the sake of it but it really is a good book
JLD: Probably the best team book there is.
Demon Knights: It mixes swords, sorcery, humor and seriousness seamlessly.
Captain Atom: Krul does the only thing you can do with characters with unwanted god-like powers; tell a story about the man inside.

Biggest Disappointments:
Teen Titans; the changes in the characters have made me realize this book is not intended for old timers like me.
Justice League; Considering the hype it was blown up to be, it really is the Titanic of the New52...and currently on the bottom of the sea.

Old February 24th, 2012   HushedRuin is offline   #8
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

FAIL: 'StormWatch' - much like the Green Lantern movie, this just had way too much going for any of it to mean anything. I wanted to like it and it did get better as we went on, but it's not enough to keep me interested. May return later down the line...

SUCCESS: 'Aquaman' has been firing on all cylinders in my opinion. My only complaint would be Arthur seems the least interesting character of the whole thing, but hopefully Geoff gives him a little more character development on-panel. Right now, he's sort of an aloof badass.

FAIL: 'Teen Titans' was a book so hated on that I wanted to like it, and I DID enjoy the first two issues, but it's been on a quality-decline for me. I'm out after last month's issue 5.

SUCCESS: 'The Flash' is my favorite book month in and month out. Everything about that book rocks.

FAIL, to a certain degree: 'Wonder Woman' has stalled out for me. It's moving kinda slow and none of the characters are particularly doing anything for me. WW is similar to Aquaman in that she's not the most interesting character in a book named after her. I feel like this'll be more of a "good story featuring Wonder Woman" and less of a "good Wonder Woman story".

SUCCESS: 'Animal Man' is another hit, right out of the gate. I have totally been digging this series.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old February 24th, 2012   Lady Obie is offline   #9
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

Here's mine

Wins:

Green Lantern - The Hal and Sinestro team is an absolute riot that I'm enjoying the heck out of!

Green Lantern: New Guardians - Yep, I'm a verifiable Rainbow Corps fan and am getting all the multi-colored bang I'd expect out of this. I'm not the world's biggest Kyle fan but he is getting some good usage here (couldn't help but smile when all the rings surrounded him in the 1st issue blurting his name out for any person within earshot to hear - there goes the secret ID).

Justice League - This works for me as a big dumb fun book. I didn't have really high expectations of this one and so am enjoying it as the fun fluff it is. I consider having Cyborg being added to this team as a big bonus.

Batgirl - I'm a big fan of Babs, I enjoyed a lot of her time as Oracle but I'm so ecstatic she can literally get back into the swing of things. It'll be interesting for me as we learn more about her cure and what happens during the surely-inevitable confrontation with Mr. J.

Aquaman - a couple offline pals strongly recommended this comic and I'm so glad I took them up on that! This book is fun and has a lot of good action and heart. It's definitely one of my big faves of the new 52.

Wonder Woman - I'm really enjoying this one as well. Seeing Diana pound down a big English breakfast is cute (she definitely needs the protein power). I kind of have mixed feelings about her being a naturally conceived and born child of Polly and Zeus (I liked the origin of her being made of clay and brought to life and empowered by a group of greek gods).

Fails:

Fury of Firestorm - Most likely my 1st drop of my new 52 comics. I'm a long-time fan of Ronnie and Martin, and Jason is growing on me, but this comic is a dragging dredge of misery. It needs an injection of some heart, hope and fun ASAP.

Hawk & Dove - Being a big fan of Dawn's I hate to say this but I'm glad this comic is ending. It would have been hard for me to drop this series if it didn't get the ax but I most likely would've found a way to. This is another series mired in a little too much misery and too little fun.

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old February 24th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #10
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I also must say that art generally does not matter much to me, but Aqua Man is a homerun thus far.

And the coloring is outstanding!

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old February 24th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #11
Astro@work
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Best surprizes:
Wonder Woman
Action Comics
Batman and Robin
JLDark (never expected to like or stick with this one)
Aquaman

Biggest disappointments:
JLI
Hawkman (biggest miss of all)
Birds of Prey (just not capturing any of the charm of why I liked the team before)
Firestorm
Stormwatch
Superman (I did like ish#1, but everything after has felt like "forgettable villain of the week").

Expected to like, and I did:
Batwoman
JLA
Legion

Finally picking up steam, and glad I stuck it out:
Legion Lost

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old March 1st, 2012   thr33dub is offline   #12
thr33dub

Firestorm and Mr. Teriffic were two series I wanted to love but they're both unreadable to me.

Not usually a fan of the Big 2, but I'm surprised to be enjoying Batman and Robin and Perez' Superman. Especially Perez' Superman. It was nice to need more than 5 minutes for a first read-through of a comic. I probably don't pay attention to the nuances of art like some readers so the pictures might be worth a thousand words to them, but I'm a fan of "compressed" storytelling. Sorry that Perez is leaving that title.

Old March 1st, 2012   Sentinel119 is offline   #13
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

The big win for me is JLI. I like that it is almost a direct continuation to Generation Lost. I also love that we finally see Booster living up to the leader role that has been implied for a few years now.

As for fails Hawkman and Flash. I am on the verge of dropping the Flash. It suffers from the same problem that we had before with Barry. There isn't much of a character and they haven't done too much to change that.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old March 1st, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #14
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Especially Perez' Superman. It was nice to need more than 5 minutes for a first read-through of a comic. I probably don't pay attention to the nuances of art like some readers so the pictures might be worth a thousand words to them, but I'm a fan of "compressed" storytelling. Sorry that Perez is leaving that title.
ddf
thr33dub View Post
Amen! I miss the days of hen you could buy anything by Roy Thomas and it would take at least 20 to 30 minutes to read.

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old March 1st, 2012   Alan is offline   #15
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

The big win for me is JLI. I like that it is almost a direct continuation to Generation Lost. I also love that we finally see Booster living up to the leader role that has been implied for a few years now.

As for fails Hawkman and Flash. I am on the verge of dropping the Flash. It suffers from the same problem that we had before with Barry. There isn't much of a character and they haven't done too much to change that.
ddf
Sentinel119 View Post

In contrast, for me JLI has been one of the biggest disappointments and Flash one of the biggest successes.

JLI is the very definition of average. It is OK. Competent. Dull. Without a single spark of originality or invention. In every way it looks like a book from the early 90's.

Savage Hawkman is way worse. It would have to go a long way up to get to average. Daniel really doesn't seem to have a grasp if who Hawkman is and so isn't able to impart that. Johns did it effortlessly in his run on Hawkman which should have been a bible for him to look at. At least the art was interesting, even if Tan's new style wasn't entirely successful and sometimes added to the confusion.

Mr T was just awful, top to bottom. The only book of the 52 to feature totally inept artwork and a hopeless take on a hard to sell character. I'm so happy it's gone.

Firestorm was also dreadful to start with and I dropped it with #3. I have read elsewhere that it has improved but its had it's chance.

Green Arrow. Bloody awful. I will certainly give Nocenti a chance to turn it around though, but if she doesn't....

Wins:

I Vampire. I can't speak highly enough of this book and you should all BUY IT!!!! Keep the quality books going folks.

The Bat books. All of them have their own qualities but as a set they are of an incredibly high standard. Looking forward to Finch's book now he's getting a heavy duty scripter which could put it on a par with Snyder's take. And that includes the 'family' books - Batwoman is a solid 9/10 or 10/10 book, Catwoman, Batgirl and Nightwing are all excellent reads. Not read Batwing but it does look pretty good.

Morrison's Superman. More fun than its been since Byrne, and less radical than his take actually (we lost a lot with that reboot though it seemed worth it at the time and, yeah, it had to be done).

Flash. As good as good can be.

The obvious other ones, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, GL, and some of the not so obvious, Frankenstein is a riot, OMAC deserved a longer run, Supergirl is great. And All Star Western is really well done too.

Justice League Dark has been interesting, and while the flagship book may be a little on the slow side it IS delivering. When we look back on the opening run it will still look pretty awesome. It isn't easy bearing the weight of all the biggest changes at DC on its shoulders.

For me it's been a big success. I am buying a lot more, enjoying a lot more and enjoying being challenged a lot more. It's too easy to produce the same old stuff for years on end, writing stories to fill holes in continuity etc. There comes a point in a format such as comics which are produced every month for years on end where no-one can think of anything to do that hasn't been done a dozen times before, or where previous writers have painted the book in such a hole tat it would be better to tear it up and start from scratch, but with continuity as it was that was almost impossible.

I was there for the first big reboot after Wolfman's great Crisis book, which was so epic that you could take the loss of Barry Allen and Supergirl because it meant something. I've always thought they never needed to bring Barry back because his death was so heroic and meaningful, unlike most of the stunt deaths since. DC got it horribly wrong thereafter though replacing almost all of their biggest characters. The change was needed then, and this one is needed now, even if it has come on the back of three other significant reboots over the last six years or so. I would hope that given the chance they now have to write new stories without the weight of continuity that we are set for a more stable but exciting period.

Old March 1st, 2012   Alan is offline   #16
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Firestorm and Mr. Teriffic were two series I wanted to love but they're both unreadable to me.

Not usually a fan of the Big 2, but I'm surprised to be enjoying Batman and Robin and Perez' Superman. Especially Perez' Superman. It was nice to need more than 5 minutes for a first read-through of a comic. I probably don't pay attention to the nuances of art like some readers so the pictures might be worth a thousand words to them, but I'm a fan of "compressed" storytelling. Sorry that Perez is leaving that title.
ddf
thr33dub View Post
I also really enjoyed Perez's take and the depth of it. Not looking forward at all to the next team, whose work on the other new titles has been far from inspiring. At least Perez is off to a good home. I fear for the Superman title though, which is after all one of DC's flagship books.