The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old August 2nd, 2011   John Casey is offline   #1
John Casey
Geoffan

Default USA Today leaks Identity of the NEW Ultimate Spider-Man

Click here only if ya'll can not resisist temptation.....

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-...ed-110802.html

Old August 2nd, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #2
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Weren't people saying before that Marvel doesn't look for media attention when it pushes for diversity? That it's business as usual? That was funny. (Although, the whole practice isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind you.)

Still, this is cool. Very cool. I hope Donald Glover is somewhere smiling.

The art looks amazing, also. I might just jump back on for this.
Last edited by Jake1823; August 2nd, 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: adding spoiler boxes...

Where is everybody?
Old August 2nd, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #3
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Not my first guess, but an interesting choice. I will check it out.

I am the one who knocks.
Old August 2nd, 2011   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Like a light bulb!

I've been pleasantly surprised at the attention the Ultimate line has been getting in the media.

Old August 2nd, 2011   Simon DelMonte is offline   #5
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Haven't we seen this before? A lot?

I will look at this, but going with "guy you never heard of" and "Diversity!" are not really selling points to me. Bendis will have to work hard to get me to care about an unknown taking the place of a beloved character.

Simon DelMonte
Old August 2nd, 2011   J-Liv is offline   #6
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

Little disappointed to find out this whole thing has been about pushing Bendis' personal social agenda rather than telling a good story. I'll probably still pick it up, as the Death Of and Fallout have both been really good. But the motivations behind this aren't what storytelling should be based on. Really thought Bendis was above that.

Old August 2nd, 2011   therealssjlink is offline   #7
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

The Ultimate Universe has a new Spider-Man, and it's a character that readers have never seen before: Miles Morales, a half-black, half-Hispanic teen.
ddf
Marvel's idea of killing two birds with one stone? >_>

I do like his costume but seeing as how Bleedingcool called this a WHILE back and only BECAUSE of the "ethnic diversity"...I'm not all that interested.

I do like reading about "minority" characters (if you have to state it, it's not usually a good thing to me), however, I don't like reading about them when it's "Look! Batman...but he's BLACK! Look! Batwoman....but she's GAY!" I'm not really sure I get the mentality that a reader is more likely to read a minority character if they are replacing white character over a new one. I think that the reader just likes reading a book like Spider-man or Batman and happens to read any tie-ins regardless of the characters minority so they aren't buying the book because of a character's ethnicity or sexual identity.

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old August 2nd, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #8
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Maybe now some people can put to rest the race card for a bit...at least on Marvel's front. I have no problem with putting the Spiderman costume on an African American. Let's see where it goes and how long it lasts. Could be a fun ride.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old August 2nd, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #9
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Little disappointed to find out this whole thing has been about pushing Bendis' personal social agenda rather than telling a good story. I'll probably still pick it up, as the Death Of and Fallout have both been really good. But the motivations behind this aren't what storytelling should be based on. Really thought Bendis was above that.
ddf
J-Liv View Post
But really USM has been fantastic from the start...How is Bendis not telling a good story? I would think the good story would come naturally.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old August 2nd, 2011   JRM is offline   #10
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Maybe now some people can put to rest the race card for a bit...at least on Marvel's front. I have no problem with putting the Spiderman costume on an African American. Let's see where it goes and how long it lasts. Could be a fun ride.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
Chris, read above - some are already grumping about that here - so I'd expect it to be much worse elsewhere - and note the tweets of that LCS owner - a pity.

Well in a way this move may be a game-changer. This it the first time that a A-list franchise has moved in this direction.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 2nd, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #11
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Chris, read above - some are already grumping about that here - so I'd expect it to be much worse elsewhere - and note the tweets of that LCS owner - a pity.

Well in a way this move may be a game-changer. This it the first time that a A-list franchise has moved in this direction.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
I know...It was more sarcasm...People complain that there's not enough diversity in comics...Well here's diversity and we still get complaints.

UMS has IMO been the best Ultimate book since day 1. IMO Bendis will run with this and make it successful.

And that owner should be ashamed of himself.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old August 2nd, 2011   jafabian is offline   #12
jafabian
Like a light bulb!

Little disappointed to find out this whole thing has been about pushing Bendis' personal social agenda rather than telling a good story.
ddf
J-Liv View Post

Oh, just stop it. Really. What evidence do you have that this has something about Bendis' personal social agenda? Do you actually know the man personally? Have a link supporting that statement? If he made the character caucasian and blonde people would be all over him about that as well. Let's not forget that all stories have a due process for approval. It's not like Marvel goes out, picks up the paper and goes "Whoa! He's gonna do what?!?"

No more of this. It's just silly.

Old August 2nd, 2011   JRM is offline   #13
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I know...It was more sarcasm...People complain that there's not enough diversity in comics...Well here's diversity and we still get complaints.

UMS has IMO been the best Ultimate book since day 1. IMO Bendis will run with this and make it successful.

And that owner should be ashamed of himself.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
I think that this will be cheered in many corners, but some will overtly buck anything moving in this direction. And in some cases it is less to do with the removal of the old character, I sadly expect.

I see Marvel getting the best of both worlds - in the Main Continuity they have Peter Parker and in the Ultimate Continuity they will have Miles Morales. (what's with the alliterate naming anyway? )

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 2nd, 2011   Lady Obie is offline   #14
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

I had a feeling the new Spidey was going to be colorful

But ultimately that's not what matters...

What matters is if he's written well

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old August 2nd, 2011   Lady Obie is offline   #15
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

(what's with the alliterate naming anyway? )

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Ever since the debut of Lois Lane some comic writers just like to have fun with that kind of thing

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old August 2nd, 2011   Scott Mateo is offline   #16
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I'm guessing he's half Boricua? I sincerely hope this is one hispanic character that isn't going to be written as a stereotype. We could really do without another Vibe or Jaime (and yes, Jaime was written that way when Keith and John started the series).

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis