The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old July 26th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #17
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

This is interesting. Letterer Jim Campbell looks at the total worth of a comic and how that effects digital publishing.

Why Digital Publishing Won't Save Comics (Yet)

That's probably why prices are high, as well. Just shows that there's still a long way to go from here.

Where is everybody?
Old July 26th, 2011   Devlyn16 is offline   #18
Devlyn16
CODA

Interesting article but it fails to cover Advertising. How mucgh is a 1 page ad in a DC/marvel comic?

Also, while Apple is FIRM on their 30%, I suspect the VOLUME of comics DC has for sale has to get them a better than 50/50 split with any other app. I have to think they have a 70/30 split.

Remember the traditional Publisher/Distributor/retailer model supply had limited back order. The digital distribution is UNLIMITED back order.

Is it wrong to Quote the Devil if what he is saying is true?
Old July 28th, 2011   Matches is offline   #19
Matches
stepping aside

Hmm... Marvel didn't get Amazing Spider-Man out in digital form yesterday. Not the first time they've had a "same day" book that didn't actually come out along with the print version.

But hey... they put out the Cloak & Dagger miniseries from 1983 this week. That's a relief.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old August 3rd, 2011   Matches is offline   #20
Matches
stepping aside

DC put most of the Roy Thomas/ Gene Colan Wonder Woman up today on comixology, 99 cents apiece. One of my favorite WW runs.

Also - the comics+ app has the first two parts of LOEG: Century for $4.99 apiece.

Old August 3rd, 2011   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #21
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

I think this is a great opportunity for DC or Marvel to take sidelined characters and allow up and coming talent to put out short runs at cheaper prices.

Basically take the structure supplemental content that they had in the books before and offer it exclusively online for a buck an issue. This will also allow DC to test out new talent.

Just a thought.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old August 3rd, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #22
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Also - the comics+ app has the first two parts of LOEG: Century for $4.99 apiece.
ddf
Matches View Post
Didn't know this. I'm on it!

Where is everybody?
Old August 3rd, 2011   hoyatables is offline   #23
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

Matches, this is a great thread idea.

I notice random crashes every now and then in Comixology. No real pattern to it, and it is infrequent enough to not be annoying - yet. What is more frustrating for me is the long times it sometimes takes to load new content in the store. I'm never quite sure whether I'm looking at "new" information.

I also probably need to manage my "push" notifications better. I do know that you can also get emails with updates. I've gotten emails from DC about every 99-cent sale -- though usually I have already seen something up on CBR or here first. So that helps to get the word out.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid
Old August 3rd, 2011   Matches is offline   #24
Matches
stepping aside

I notice random crashes every now and then in Comixology. No real pattern to it, and it is infrequent enough to not be annoying - yet. What is more frustrating for me is the long times it sometimes takes to load new content in the store. I'm never quite sure whether I'm looking at "new" information.

I also probably need to manage my "push" notifications better. I do know that you can also get emails with updates. I've gotten emails from DC about every 99-cent sale -- though usually I have already seen something up on CBR or here first. So that helps to get the word out.
ddf
hoyatables View Post
I've not had any more crashes since I reinstalled the app. I wonder if the problem might have been the # of comics I had stored, as it was up over 300. I haven't quite mastered push notifications either, in part because I use my iPad at work and don't want to be showing an exhibit to a judge when a message pops up telling me a new issue of Chew is available.

Old August 11th, 2011   hoyatables is offline   #25
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

All -- DC is going a Digital Comics sale on Flash comics. Includes a sale on the original Crisis.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/

Old August 11th, 2011   Matches is offline   #26
Matches
stepping aside

DC's digital sales are really excellent. Loving that they put up some JL Detroit this week, too.

Old August 11th, 2011   LastSun is offline   #27
LastSun
Master Geoffan

DC's digital sales are really excellent. Loving that they put up some JL Detroit this week, too.
ddf
Matches View Post
I think Marvel puts things on sale every Monday in the ComiXology app. Will be curious to see if that will carry over to the website next week or not

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old August 11th, 2011   hoyatables is offline   #28
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

ddf
Matches View Post
Yes. They also put up some Action Comics from the 80s on sale and I believe I saw some 1980s GL. They've done that the past few weeks -- just a handful of books that are related to the retroactive titles also released that week. Too bad they aren't doing a better job of promoting that -- especially because the books are on sale for a buck each.

Old August 11th, 2011   Matches is offline   #29
Matches
stepping aside

I think Marvel puts things on sale every Monday in the ComiXology app. Will be curious to see if that will carry over to the website next week or not
ddf
LastSun View Post
Yeah, but their sales suck. They put up the same stuff over and over and usually it's only about a dozen issues at a time. This week's Spider-Man sale was about the biggest one they've had, and that was 22 issues.

Old August 11th, 2011   Devlyn16 is offline   #30
Devlyn16
CODA

All -- DC is going a Digital Comics sale on Flash comics. Includes a sale on the original Crisis.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/
ddf
hoyatables View Post
Glad I checked this thread out today. I see some purchases in my future

Old August 12th, 2011   LastSun is offline   #31
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Marvel is having a half off sale on all the original Annihilation mini.

It includes all the minis that lead up to it and the main series

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old August 17th, 2011   Devlyn16 is offline   #32
Devlyn16
CODA

the 99 cent Flash sale of this past weekend has left me wondering

Do we send a message if we refain from buying digital comics at their "regular price" but then we buy them at a 99 cent sale price?

This weekend I bought all of Flash Rebirth, and the recent series issue #1-12. I almost bought all of COIE, but I have to mind my budget.

Is there anyone at DC Looking at the stats and saying "Hmm here is a customer that isn't buying digital comics at the "regular price" but jumps in and buys a bunch at the 99 cent price point.

While my digital comcis had no ads in them, I'd happily take 8 pages of ads if it brought the price down to 99 cents.