The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 29th, 2010   Evan Meadow is offline   #17
Evan Meadow
Geoffan

I'd gladly get a full color version of SUICIDE SQUAD collections. Would probably even shell out for Omnibuses. Would not buy the Showcase Presents collections.
ddf
Brian Thomer View Post
Like someone said earlier, Bob Wayne said at the Diamond Retailers meeting recently that Suicide Squad was getting color reprints.

So I immediately thought they pulled the Showcase because of it. Hopefully that'll send Ostrander some more well deserved royalties.

Old April 29th, 2010   Ken Liner is offline   #18
Ken Liner
White Pawn 743 - ONLINE

I kinda like the Ultimate editions Marvel does. 12 issues a pop for between $25 and $30. They aren't hardcover, but they are full color and on quality paper.
ddf
michealdark View Post
These are also the 4th iteration of the series after HC, regular TPBs, & Omnibi. So, for Marvel, there probably isn't much of a production cost to produce these new volumes. They are nice, though. I have the Alias books. I've been recently buying Bendis' DD trades, and wish I knew of the recently solicited Ultimate versions, as I would have just bought those as they came out.

For DC, this will be the first release of SS, so there will be lots of up front costs to correct the art, lettering, etc. I'm not going to cite royalties, as I have no idea how that impacts the price structure or type of production (regular trade, Showcase, Omnibus, etc.).

That said, I pre-ordered the Showcase volume, as I thought that was the only way to get it. I would definitely prefer a regular trade or a Marvel-type Ultimate collection. I will buy a Starman-type Omnibus if it's solicited, though.

As mentioned above, ordering thru Amazon, or a company like DCBS will save close to 1/3 - 1/2 of cover price. The Omnibi are spaced out at 1-2 a year, similar to trades, so the price impact isn't horrible. I will agree that everyones situation is different. Personally, I was recently weighting the pros/cons of the 2 different Superman vs. Muhammad Ali editions. I decided to suck it up and get the bigger edition (price difference of $10 vs. $24 thru DCBS).

Old April 29th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #19
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Well for me, I prefer to get the cheapest editions because I buy so much stuff over the course of the year (though sometimes spending more money costs less in the long run when you're talking about longer runs. When series run for more than 5 volumes, then buying the bigger editions can save you some cash). I never buy more than what I have on me at the time, but I drop probably close to a thousand dollars a year on trades, and probably that much, in the end, on floppies. There's times I will bite the bullet though. The Fourth World omnibuses, despite some problems with the paper being matte/rough instead of high gloss (that's also a benefit though because it keeps the 70's feel of them alive), were worth the $200 total, and by spreading them out it didn't hurt as much. The Captain America omnibus was also well worth it, and I used a Borders coupon, which helped tremendously. Also, finding quality used editions on Amazon is a fantastic cost cutting measure (always check the quality rating of the product and the seller rating as well before buying).

Really though, all I care about in this case is getting my good spy/black ops fix and getting the first appearances by Oracle. Seeing these former villains do their thing for the greater good is also going to be fun.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old May 2nd, 2010   Leaf93 is offline   #20
Leaf93
Geoffan

i used to have all of the single issues of this amazing series, but i got rid of them when i purged all of my single issues (for space reasons). Now that it's been a few years since I've read them all, I'm anxious to get some reprints of the series. Would much prefer the Showcase volumes (which I love), but I'll get the color volumes if that's what they go with, but the extra cost hurts for sure.

Read Noble Causes and Dynamo 5 or face the wrath of... um... that guy who has lots of wrath.
Old May 7th, 2010   Evan Meadow is offline   #21
Evan Meadow
Geoffan

DCBS just credited me for the Suicide Squad Showcase so DC has sent out the cancellation notice.

Which to me all but confirms the color collection.

Old May 7th, 2010   Ken Liner is offline   #22
Ken Liner
White Pawn 743 - ONLINE

DCBS just credited me for the Suicide Squad Showcase so DC has sent out the cancellation notice.

Which to me all but confirms the color collection.
ddf
Evan Meadow View Post
After reading your post, I just checked my account and saw that SS was credited. Given it's con season, maybe DC will make an announcement at SDCC, or one of the others so it won't get lost in all the other "noise".

Old May 7th, 2010   Hellstone is offline   #23
Hellstone
Geoffan

I wanted the thick Black and White editions of Creeper and Suicide Squad (and, yes, Captain Carrot). Maybe I will buy the Creeper Ditko collection (though I sure had wanted the post-Ditko stuff there too, inferior as it is). But there is no way I'm buying any more Omnibus editions. I collect the Starman ones, but that's all I can afford.

Plus... I like Black and White!

/ola

No longer gone fishin'.
Old May 10th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #24
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Confirmation on a color collection! From my Facebook

Dan DiDio May 9 at 9:32pm
Going with color trade on Suicide Squad starting real soon, much better to see that work in color, and look for Rose in both teh Titans books.

best,

DD
ddf
Dan DiDio

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old May 13th, 2010   Hellstone is offline   #25
Hellstone
Geoffan

Confirmation on a color collection! From my Facebook
ddf
michealdark View Post
Nice for diehard SS fans. But not for me. The Showcase Presents collection would have been a bargain, but color collections will be thinner and more expensive.

I don't want to pee on anyone's birthday cake, though. Congratulations to all who've been waiting for this.

/ola

No longer gone fishin'.
Old May 13th, 2010   sylpemberton is offline   #26
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

Nice for diehard SS fans. But not for me. The Showcase Presents collection would have been a bargain, but color collections will be thinner and more expensive.

I don't want to pee on anyone's birthday cake, though. Congratulations to all who've been waiting for this.

/ola
ddf
Hellstone View Post
Ditto here. A Showcase I would have tried out. Colour collections tend to be a bit pricy for the contents, so I'm less likely to try one on a whim. And I'm still a bit bitter the JLI stuff has stopped being collected, so I'm not likely to rush out and try another late 80s series unless the whole thing is going to be collected...

I'll likely pass...

Old May 13th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #27
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I'll third that idea.

I want the whole run and so color trades will be so expensive that I'll have to wait on some of them when they do come out.

As opposed to just being able to directly order the cheaper Showcase Presents....sigh...

But I"m sure it's a great thing for those who don't like the B&W Showcase reprints and prefer color reprints.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.