The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old March 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default Jim Starlin on Strange Adventures and Hawkman

I was chatting with Jim about Hawkman, Prince Gavyn, and STRANGE ADVENTURES, asking him a few questions, and he said I could pass what he said

1) What were your plans with Hawkman? It seemed like somehow Carter was going to be revealed as Katar. How come this was never followed up and he was removed from the Aberrant Six?

2) Why the change from Prince Gavyn to Fusion? Did you have plans to use him after STRANGE ADVENTURES along with Synaar and the rest of the Aberrant Six? It seemed like the ending of STRANGE ADVENTURES wasn't the one you originally had planned...
DC Comics is a chaotic place to work these days. Yes, I had plans for an additional miniseries where all the above elements you asked about were to be resolved. Hawkman was yanked from the series because another writer suddenly had plans for him. They got scuttled when someone else decided to kill off Hawkman instead. The Strange Adventures story was chopped when the planned follow up mini was canceled. I was in the middle of SA's last issue and tried to end it as well as I could. It was a mess. I've retired now from mainstream comics and will never allow myself to be put in such an unworkable situation ever again. Sorry for the bad story.
ddf
Jim Starlin
He also told me he's presently working on a new novel.

Good story, bad story, Jim Starlin is a class act in my book!

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old March 9th, 2010   JRM is offline   #2
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I was chatting with Jim about Hawkman, Prince Gavyn, and STRANGE ADVENTURES, asking him a few questions, and he said I could pass what he said

1) What were your plans with Hawkman? It seemed like somehow Carter was going to be revealed as Katar. How come this was never followed up and he was removed from the Aberrant Six?

2) Why the change from Prince Gavyn to Fusion? Did you have plans to use him after STRANGE ADVENTURES along with Synaar and the rest of the Aberrant Six? It seemed like the ending of STRANGE ADVENTURES wasn't the one you originally had planned...
He also told me he's presently working on a new novel.

Good story, bad story, Jim Starlin is a class act in my book!
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Humm ... not sure what to think. Not my favorite work by Starlin, by a long shot - but this at least partially explains some of the problems. However, I do believe that this is generally a larger problem at DC. Hopefully, the up coming Editorial changes will improve, not make this situation worse.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old March 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #3
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I'm really tempted to ask him if he was going to bring Katar back and what would happen to Carter. Also some more about Prince Gavyn/Fusion, but I don't want to be a pest.

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old March 9th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Cap who?

That is very sad to hear as I'm a huge fan of Jim's work at both Marvel and DC. His statement sure does make thing click though in regards to Strange Adventures, which I thought was living up to its name with the direction it was taking. Wasn't bad...just didn't flow very well. Now I know why.

Old March 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #5
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I was actually thinking about you, John, when I asked him.

Old March 9th, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #6
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I really thought Starlin's first mini had promise, but it went downhill from there. The whole religious war thing got tired after a while.

I've been reading R.E.B.E.L.S. and I wouldn't mind Tony Bedard taking over the cosmic DCU. In fact, I wonder if he already is, with him doing that and GLC. I want a Captain Comet book by him.

Where is everybody?
Old March 9th, 2010   Neo God is offline   #7
Neo God
Geoffan

I really thought Starlin's first mini had promise, but it went downhill from there. The whole religious war thing got tired after a while.
I've been reading R.E.B.E.L.S. and I wouldn't mind Tony Bedard taking over the cosmic DCU. In fact, I wonder if he already is, with him doing that and GLC. I want a Captain Comet book by him.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post

I remember reading one of DiDio's quesoins and answers, and when someone asked what to read for DC's cosmic side, he said REBELs would be the main book fleshing out DC's cosmic aspects.

Makes sense to me. I read the trade for REBELS - Coming of Starro, and I liked it. I'll probably add it to my pull list with #15 where a new arc starts.

Bedard is also writing Green Lantern Corps, so i hope he explores more cosmic stuff there.

Pull List: Action Comics, The Flash, Green Arrow, Superboy, Superman/Batman
Old March 9th, 2010   Tim Pilot 84 is offline   #8
Tim Pilot 84
Geoffan

Jim's had a rough go of it these last few years. From beginning the Thanos ongoing over at Marvel and then leaving due to differences. Keith Giffen ended up taking the series over and put out the outstanding Drax mini and began the Annihilation saga and then onto DnA and the rest is history.

And now his parting ways with DC. I feel for him.

I didn't really find his latest DC work to be his best but the bright side is we've got a novel coming from him. I got Among Madmen when it first debuted. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for his new novel. Thanks for this.

White Lantern wannabe.
Old March 9th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #9
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

A real shame that this has convinced Jim to retire from comics.

Strange Adventures started off well but soon dropped in quality, this gives some idea as to why.

As for Hawkman, I was never convinced his plans would have been good for the character based off the special he did which, I would assume since it say print anyway rather than get pulled, wasn't affected by other writers' plans for the character at that time.

If he'd avoided the Synnar stuff, I'd have happily read another Comet mini like his Mystery in Space mini or a solo Adam Strange book by Jim.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old March 9th, 2010   Neil Blumengarten is offline   #10
Neil Blumengarten
Beware My Power!

Location: Department of Heuristics And Research on Material Applications

Tough situation. On one hand, I feel for him and I do believe he was done wrong by the comic companies.

On the other hand, I'm really loving R.E.B.E.L.S., especially with the addition of Captain Comet and Adam Strange, which I don't think would have happened with Starlin continuing to use them.

And Nova got me interested in some Marvel comics again, and again, it seems that if Jim continued his work, it might not have ended up with Annihilation coming out and revitalizing Marvel's cosmic characters.

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. -Conan
Old March 9th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #11
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Tough situation. On one hand, I feel for him and I do believe he was done wrong by the comic companies.

On the other hand, I'm really loving R.E.B.E.L.S., especially with the addition of Captain Comet and Adam Strange, which I don't think would have happened with Starlin continuing to use them.

And Nova got me interested in some Marvel comics again, and again, it seems that if Jim continued his work, it might not have ended up with Annihilation coming out and revitalizing Marvel's cosmic characters.
ddf
Neil Blumengarten View Post
I do agree with you here. Plans to stop future Starlin minis by DC has proven to be Bedard and R.E.B.E.L.S. gain since Comet and Adam Strange are now in that book.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old March 9th, 2010   Astro is offline   #12
Astro
Geoffan

One time editorial interference was 100% right.

Thank god.

Old March 9th, 2010   BrianT is offline   #13
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

The issue there is that DC continued to allow additional Starlin written minis when the sales didn't warrant them. They should have been using STRANGE ADVENTURES to wrap up the storyline from the start, not have it lead into another mini.

And Starlin said he only retired from mainstream comics, not all comics. I think he has more DREADSTAR in the works. I could be off on that. A prequel, I believe. Now we just need Dynamite to finish collecting the original series...

Old March 9th, 2010   mmk123 is online now   #14
mmk123
Geoffan

I did not like the decision to change Hawkman from Carter to Katar but was that Jim's initial idea or was that an idea that DC wanted him to do? I am glad that the plans were nixed but I do not see why Hawkman could not have been used in the Strange Adventures mini series. Hawkman was used in Justice League Cry for Justice and that came out the same time as Blackest Night.

I think it is a shame that Jim is not doing any work for DC in the future. I always enjoyed his stories and especially his art.

Old March 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #15
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I did not like the decision to change Hawkman from Carter to Katar but was that Jim's initial idea or was that an idea that DC wanted him to do? I am glad that the plans were nixed but I do not see why Hawkman could not have been used in the Strange Adventures mini series. Hawkman was used in Justice League Cry for Justice and that came out the same time as Blackest Night.
ddf
mmk123 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was editorial mandate - and still is, because it seems like Katar is coming back, just DC changed their mind on who is bringing him back and how.

Old March 10th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #16
jafabian
Cap who?

I was actually thinking about you, John, when I asked him.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post

Hah! I would have loved to have seen Strange Adventures be a monthly. DC has been focusing more on its space stories again after focsuing so much on the magic side for years. IMO, Jim Starlin should be on a book like that.

Seems to me there was very poor communication behind the scenes and I'm wondering how much Blackest Night's production came into play in those decisions that affected Jim. I'd love to see him write a Superman book, just because I enjoyed his work on DC Comics Presents. His stories with Mongul were the best.