The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 14th, 2010   RetroWarbird is offline   #17
RetroWarbird
Geoffan

Not bad, not bad. This issue is reminiscent of the issue a few ago with Tempest and Dick. You know ... before Tempest went and died.

Anyway, I was totally expecting an all-talk issue, which was kind of working for me, but as luck would have it, Krul pulled out some classic team book villainy at the end. Cool cool.

It also only occurred to me during this issue, that Roy losing his arm ... is ironic as hell. Because if he'd kept doing heroine back when he was a kid ... he could've lost his arm. So he did quit and got his sh** together. And now, he loses his arm anyway.

Nekron. Comic Con. Necronomicon.
GIVE ADVENTURE COMICS BACK TO AQUAMAN
Old January 14th, 2010   therealssjlink is offline   #18
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

I had an issue with Starfire being 1 and a half feet smaller than she is supposed to be. What is she now, 5'4?

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old January 14th, 2010   Bill Walko is offline   #19
Bill Walko
Comrade

I don't have too much to say about this issue. JT Krul has been given the unenviable task of creating a story out of "nothing". The TITANS series has been vamping for months, in preparation for whatever comes next (Deathstroke's team). So, it's a downtime issue, mostly.

Within those limitations, however, Krul has once again proven his worth as a Titans writer. He "gets" these characters. The dialogue. The voices. Their histories. And that goes a long way toward making this issue really work. There's a few weird bits (like Wally leaving to "learn more" from Barry... huh?), but that's more a fault of editorial mucky-mucking. And it just draws attention to the fact that this series was launched with absolutely no sense of what it should be.

The art, however, is a muddled mess. It starts off OK, and then deteriorates as the issue goes on. And the cover.... I thought the final cover would be improved from the solicits. It looks like fan art.

And, I'm still bummed about the whole "Armless Arsenal" storyline. I really don't even want to read it, honestly.

Overall, this issue reminded me of the 90s TITANS series. And I mean that in a good way.

Check out my new webcomic!
The Hero Business by Bill Walko
Because with great power comes great marketability.
Old January 14th, 2010   DCUBoyMW is offline   #20
DCUBoyMW

Why has no one else commented on the most important revelation of this issue! I could be mistaken but I think it's pretty clear that Donna implies that Lian Harper was killed during cry for justice and Roy will find that out when he wakes from the coma. Read what she is saying to Roy while looking at Lians picture; she is not talking about the loss of an arm guys.

Old January 14th, 2010   Werehunter is offline   #21
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

I don't know what to make of this issue. Great writing but not so great art work. And the medium leads itself to need good art for the words to really work. All in all, I think I would have to say that Krul once again wrote the best Titans we've seen in a long time. However I would like to see something of his that isn't part of a larger storyline but rather was something that was all his.

Why has no one else commented on the most important revelation of this issue! I could be mistaken but I think it's pretty clear that Donna implies that Lian Harper was killed during cry for justice and Roy will find that out when he wakes from the coma. Read what she is saying to Roy while looking at Lians picture; she is not talking about the loss of an arm guys.
ddf
DCUBoyMW View Post
I was wondering at the lack of Lian in this issue and the words do work better in that line of thought. I haven't been following Cry for Justice. Does her dying make any sense in the context of that series?

Old January 14th, 2010   DCUBoyMW is offline   #22
DCUBoyMW

Actually yes, Prometheus has been killing people left and right in the series and wants to hurt the heroes on an emotional level. The mini isn't over yet, but this Titans issue takes place after it.

Old January 14th, 2010   Werehunter is offline   #23
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

I will hate DC if they do that. And it's rather stupid of Prometheus to kill the daughter of one of the best poisoners in the world, one who had the balls to nuke a country at one point.

Old January 15th, 2010   royfan is offline   #24
royfan
Geoffan

ddf
DCUBoyMW View Post
It implies somethings happened to her. I don't know that she will be killed. I think that it's likely she and Mia have been sent to that other dimension that was mentioned in CFJ (but those in Roy's dimension will assume she's dead). She'll be back eventually, probably grown a bit so she's sidekick age.

Old January 15th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #25
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

ddf
DCUBoyMW View Post
Yeah, I'm not keen on what was being implied with Lian as, if she's gone, I would hold greater issue with that than with Roy losing his arm.

The rest of the issue was merely ok. I felt it started off strong (Wally!) and the ending was quite good but I feel I've read enough talk of why the Titans should stick together (the Teen Titans too) that even Krul's best efforts didn't make this more than an average read.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 15th, 2010   The Krystal Method is offline   #26
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

No one told me Donna was going to bring the Wonder Twins back @_@

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old January 15th, 2010   BrianT is offline   #27
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Another excellent Titans-related issue from JT Krul. Loved seeing all the villains in his issue and I think it did a great job of setting up the three main characters as they get ready to join the JLA. I hope that scene with Donna and the photo implies nothing about Lian!

Although I still wish Cyborg would create a new team of Titans as well.

Staff Writer - Bam Smack Pow
Twitter: PAComicExaminer
Bookmark my page
Old January 16th, 2010   ronaldj is offline   #28
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

loved the book...loved the art...love the Titans..."but what I would really love is a postcard from the Hall of Justice....."

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old January 16th, 2010   curiouswanderer is offline   #29
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I was wondering at the lack of Lian in this issue and the words do work better in that line of thought. I haven't been following Cry for Justice. Does her dying make any sense in the context of that series?
ddf
Werehunter View Post
Hmmm...puts this cover in a whole new context:

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE RISE OF ARSENAL #2
On sale APRIL 28 • 2 of 4 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by J.T. KRUL
Art by GERALDO BORGES & MARLO ALQUIZA
Cover by GREG HORN
Spinning out of CRY FOR JUSTICE, “The Rise and Fall” continues here as Roy Harper discovers that getting a prosthetic arm doesn’t make him whole again, he’s also forced to deal with Green Arrow’s shocking revelation from JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE RISE AND FALL SPECIAL #1. And sparks fly when Roy’s old flame Cheshire shows up...to kill him!

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old January 19th, 2010   therealssjlink is offline   #30
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

So Newsarama just put up the april solictations....

Titans is completely missing.

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old January 19th, 2010   royfan is offline   #31
royfan
Geoffan

So Newsarama just put up the april solictations....

Titans is completely missing.
ddf
therealssjlink View Post
I was expecting that. Kind of the lull before the storm. lol