The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old June 18th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #17
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

James is just as good as Dwayne, so I think the book is safe.
ddf
daxam View Post
I do like McDuffie, have enjoyed much of his run and am sorry to see him leave but Kevin says it best:

No.... Robinson is far superior to McDuffie. His work on Starman proves that.
ddf
KevinTBrown View Post
As much as I love Justice League Unlimited and McDuffie's Milestone books in the 90s, he hasn't written anything that has just wowed me like Robinson's Starman (or The Golden Age).

That isn't intended as a dig at McDuffie as many writers I love haven't written anything as good as Starman. I love Geoff Johns work alot, Green Lantern especially, but even Geoff hasn't written anything equal to Starman (portions of JSA came close though mostly when Goyer was co-writing the book).

Robinson on the book is good move in my opinion. I just hope the editorial constraints are loosened for Robinson or that Robinson handles them better.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old June 18th, 2009   KevinTBrown is offline   #18
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

I do like McDuffie, have enjoyed much of his run and am sorry to see him leave but Kevin says it best:

As much as I love Justice League Unlimited and McDuffie's Milestone books in the 90s, he hasn't written anything that has just wowed me like Robinson's Starman (or The Golden Age).

That isn't intended as a dig at McDuffie as many writers I love haven't written anything as good as Starman. I love Geoff Johns work alot, Green Lantern especially, but even Geoff hasn't written anything equal to Starman (portions of JSA came close though mostly when Goyer was co-writing the book).

Robinson on the book is good move in my opinion. I just hope the editorial constraints are loosened for Robinson or that Robinson handles them better.
ddf
oddballuk View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.

Amd I should have been a little more clear in my previous post: McDuffie, good; Robinson, great.

Your mileage may vary.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear
Old June 18th, 2009   General grievous is offline   #19
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

In fairness.

what has robinson wrote since starman that is great?

I enjoy his superman and supermon run but it's run of the mill so far. and the preview to the new JLA mini reads a bit awkward.

I love his starman but i want him to break away from it with a new classic run or comic.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old June 18th, 2009   ConnorFan is offline   #20
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I'll wait to see the line up before I'll really consider buying. I don't think I have read much of Robinson's work so I'm not as excited as others on this thread. To me the direction and line up are going to be a much bigger factor with this, I kinda lost interest in McDuffie's line up so I dropped it. I'm glad others are excited though.

Old June 18th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #21
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

In fairness.

what has robinson wrote since starman that is great?

I enjoy his superman and supermon run but it's run of the mill so far. and the preview to the new JLA mini reads a bit awkward.

I love his starman but i want him to break away from it with a new classic run or comic.
ddf
General grievous View Post
Robinson pretty much retired from comics after Starmanconcluded in 2001 to work on screenplays but did co-write the first few issues of the last Hawkman monthly with Geoff Johns.

Robinson only started to come back to comics proper with the "Face the Face" arc in Batman/Detective Comics post-IC and then Superman last year.

His Superman run started of a little slow and uneven but has gotten really good and i'm excited for his Justice League mini.

But Starman alone is enough to justify his talent over many other writers.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old June 18th, 2009   turtlefood is offline   #22
turtlefood

Robinson's current work on Superman seems to be okay but not great. Combine that with DC's horrible handling of the Justice League franchise and i can't say i'm excited for the new run.

Old June 18th, 2009   LastSun is offline   #23
LastSun
Master Geoffan

I had a feeling that this was where Bagley was going to end up, but was surprised about Robinson.

DC seems to running a conspiracy to keep me from going to trade waiting on their books, I had just dropped JLA off my order for this month, now I hang on to see if it improves or not.

Have to wonder about Robinson's work load though. He is working on Supes, World of New Krypton, the Captain Atom backup and now the monthly chores on JLA.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old June 18th, 2009   General grievous is offline   #24
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

But Starman alone is enough to justify his talent over many other writers.

ddf
oddballuk View Post
Looking forward to his new stuff too.

I would put johns and morrison in another league than James but we will save that debate for another day

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old June 18th, 2009   MattDiCarlo is offline   #25
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

No time to talk, but awesome.

Dwayne fought a good fight but the cards were against him.

Robinson on the other hand can actually do even STRONGER work with c-level characters.

Old June 18th, 2009   chrisbenes is offline   #26
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

And Dwayne's stories in JLU show a deep understanding of the characters and the ability to tell big stories with lots of character driven moments.
ddf
Ken Liner View Post
I'd have to agree with you here. Now I never read Starman but JLU was very well done IMO. If he was able to actually develop the title I think McDuffie would have done well.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 18th, 2009   kwaku is offline   #27
kwaku
Neo Geoffan

What I find most interesting is Robinson says....

"It’s further exciting/gratifying for me that I can dove-tail the events of Cry For Justice into the main book where post-Blackest Night will emerge a new team and a new exciting direction as they get caught up in the next wave of events building throughout the DCU.”
ddf
He's probably just saying the "right" things but I can understand why he could see things differently and why his JLA run may not have many of the same problems that plagued McDuffie's run.

Robinson is one of the master-minds behind the Superman franchise which is a big chunk of the DCU. There are a lot of Superman-universe heroes, villains, organizations and concepts that are available to him.

If nothing else, JLA might not be late again for a long time.

Old June 18th, 2009   Jake1823 is offline   #28
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

This isn't the only book that editorial interferes in. Robinson's been working with this current regime long enough to know how it works.

I don't think Bagley is exceptional, honestly, but I think he's the smart choice here. Get one of your highest selling books out there every month (heck, he could do it twice a month if he wanted to). That's one of the biggest problems this title has had since its relaunch. And Bags is still a "name", so he'll draw his share of readers, too.

This seems like a smart choice on DC's part, honestly.

Where is everybody?
Old June 18th, 2009   Lundonj is offline   #29
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

It was a bummer to see Dwayne shoved off the book, but this is a pretty solid crew to take over.

-Don

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. -- George Carlin
Old June 18th, 2009   Jake1823 is offline   #30
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I just saw that cover, lol. Looks like Bags is continuing the tradition of covers showing the JLA after getting their butts kicked.

Where is everybody?
Old June 18th, 2009   therealssjlink is offline   #31
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

Well, I guess I'll continue with this after all.

I was expecting a no-name writer (not joking).

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old June 18th, 2009   CmdrJBond is offline   #32
CmdrJBond
Problem Eliminator

Have to wonder about Robinson's work load though. He is working on Supes, World of New Krypton, the Captain Atom backup and now the monthly chores on JLA.
ddf
LastSun View Post
This.

I'm not sure that I'm getting this exactly right, but I seem to recall that James didn't want to work on a monthly for a while after he did the OYL arc on Batman and Detective, saying that the pace was more than he wanted for a while. NOW, it seems like he's becoming one of the main go-to guys for DC, and I'd hate to see the stories suffer if he's spread too thin.

But I have faith. The man is a HELL of a storyteller, and I've enjoyed the majority of his work, so we'll see how it goes.

If you can't convince them, confuse them