The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old July 14th, 2005   lousiff is offline   #1
lousiff
Neo Geoffan

Default Is this the Future for Ralph?

As much as I am enjoying Geoff's run on JLA, I'm a little disconcerned about Ralph's portrayal. I realize he is probably still mourning Sue, but is DC's future for Ralph to remain powerless forever? It seems to me the Ralph of old would jump back into to fight the good fight, and I hope we get some DC "screentime" devoted to this, at least some sort of scene between Ralph and Dr. Light.

Not to say I'm not enjoying him in these JLA issues. Coming to the defense of the mindwipe to Bruce. The banter between Wally and Ralph. Him standing powerless with the rest of the league against the SSSOSV. Linda's & Wally's concern shown in the monitors. This is all great and ties into the character's portrayal of old, I hope to see more, and hopefully with his powers restored.

By the by, didn't Ralph not have to drink Gingold anymore to keep his powers or has that beeen retconned? Anyone know?

Who put the Bomp . . .?
Old July 14th, 2005   daxam is offline   #2
daxam
Yes, this is my real pic.

Obviously the gingold thing is back.

And yes , it was great seing him without his powers standing as one with the League.
And it is this standing that makes me think they will return Ralph to a propper heroic status.

Old July 14th, 2005   greensparrow is offline   #3
greensparrow

I vote for Ralph's triumphant return as a hero... ANd play up his detective side more. He can replace Batman in the league, since it seems unlikely Bats will stay a member after this.

Old July 14th, 2005   Rassilon is offline   #4
Rassilon
Last Pre-Crisis Time Lord

As much as I am enjoying Geoff's run on JLA, I'm a little disconcerned about Ralph's portrayal. I realize he is probably still mourning Sue, but is DC's future for Ralph to remain powerless forever? It seems to me the Ralph of old would jump back into to fight the good fight, and I hope we get some DC "screentime" devoted to this, at least some sort of scene between Ralph and Dr. Light.

Not to say I'm not enjoying him in these JLA issues. Coming to the defense of the mindwipe to Bruce. The banter between Wally and Ralph. Him standing powerless with the rest of the league against the SSSOSV. Linda's & Wally's concern shown in the monitors. This is all great and ties into the character's portrayal of old, I hope to see more, and hopefully with his powers restored.

By the by, didn't Ralph not have to drink Gingold anymore to keep his powers or has that beeen retconned? Anyone know?
ddf
lousiff
The problem is that he is not the Ralph of old, he is going to have to re-discover himself without Sue and he may decide to focus more on the Detective and less on the ductile aspect. Part of the reason he became a super-hero was that it was fun which isnít the case anymore. I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I like reading when characters develop and grow and I am pleased to see a change from the usual back pedaling. I realize I am not all that eloquent today but I only got an hourís sleep last night, whaddaya want, shakespeare ?

Closing in on post 400

"Do you mind not farting while I'm trying to save the world"-The Doctor. My blog http://www.tagworld.com/rassilon
Old July 14th, 2005   Shade007 is offline   #5
Shade007
Geoffan

Ralph needs to come back.

Old July 15th, 2005   elspiderloco is offline   #6
elspiderloco
Geoffan

Location: palace of fortitude cause the palace of solitude sucks

i vote ralph for leader of the jla.
more focused more respected.

if i smell like smoke its cause ive been through fire......
Old July 17th, 2005   Harry is offline   #7
Harry
Undercover Other

I'm sure both Ralph and Ray will be back in the swing of things before the last page of Inf Crisis #7.

"I'll just listen to Harry a little longer. Harry's great." --Drunken Tony Stark, Invincible Iron Man #171 (1983)
Old July 23rd, 2005   J.D.Lombardi is offline   #8
J.D.Lombardi
Devil's Advocate

EVERYONE needs to "come back".

Founder, Senior Features Editor at www.pop-topia.com
Old July 31st, 2005   holo2 is offline   #9
holo2
Advanced Geoffan

We need Ralph..as long as he is not crazy.

Old July 31st, 2005   Full of Utonium is offline   #10
Full of Utonium
Geoffan

So Dr. Light comes out of IC as a big bad villian and Elongated Man comes out as powerless widowed shlump, and we're supposed to be upset they lobatimized Light (not to mention he never did jail time for what was done to Sue)?

Meanwhile Jean Loring who actually killed Sue is now out if jail and super-powered as Eclipso. And Ralph can't even reach for a bottle of gingold? What was the point of Sue's death if there is no justice at all and her husband is reduced to being pathetic?

Why not have the Human Rubber Band squeeze Light out of existence as part of Infinite Crisis. Wouldn't that be justice?

Buttercup: In the stomach or in the face?
Mojo Jojo:
How about an option of the third type?
Old July 31st, 2005   Rion1986 is offline   #11
Rion1986
persona non grata

So Dr. Light comes out of IC as a big bad villian and Elongated Man comes out as powerless widowed shlump, and we're supposed to be upset they lobatimized Light (not to mention he never did jail time for what was done to Sue)?

Meanwhile Jean Loring who actually killed Sue is now out if jail and super-powered as Eclipso. And Ralph can't even reach for a bottle of gingold? What was the point of Sue's death if there is no justice at all and her husband is reduced to being pathetic?

Why not have the Human Rubber Band squeeze Light out of existence as part of Infinite Crisis. Wouldn't that be justice?
ddf
Full of Utonium
No, not really. That would be wrong.

Personally, I like what IC accomplished. Sue died, so Ralph should be a puddle of mush. Sue was his all. And since the damage to Dr. Light was undone, he really should be a bad guy.

People don't always get happy endings, and Ralph just happens to be one of them.

Old August 1st, 2005   lousiff is offline   #12
lousiff
Neo Geoffan

I really don't need a happy ending for Ralph. But I would like to see DC treat him right, seems that every hero has a plan laid out for them for the next year and (to me) it feels like Ralph is missing a direction.

Who put the Bomp . . .?
Old August 1st, 2005   Rion1986 is offline   #13
Rion1986
persona non grata

Ralph had his moment in the sun with Identity Crisis. He ought to be backburnered.

Old August 1st, 2005   Atom-Smasher is offline   #14
Atom-Smasher
Master Geoffan

I think he needs a visit from Jack Knight.

Go to the Nexus--you'll be glad you did!

The Nexus: Your Hub for Online Fandom
Old August 1st, 2005   Matches is offline   #15
Matches
stepping aside

I really don't need a happy ending for Ralph. But I would like to see DC treat him right, seems that every hero has a plan laid out for them for the next year and (to me) it feels like Ralph is missing a direction.
ddf
lousiff
I think that may be intentional. Maybe he'll find his direction in some of the books to come. I don't think they'd include him in "Crisis of Conscience" at all if there were *no* plans for him.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old August 1st, 2005   Astroape2000 is offline   #16
Astroape2000
Heretic Hammer Horseman

I'm sure Ralph will have his moment when he realizes he needs to be a hero? Is it things like murder that turn people into heros in the first place? Hmmm...