The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old March 23rd, 2009   curiouswanderer is offline   #33
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Hadn't actually thought about tying in the book with Rebirth. You're right, that would be a good idea especially with the state the book has been in, anything to give it a boost.

I wouldn't be adverse to having spotlights, but I would want them to work together more often than not. I really liked what Sean was building in the current issue with Donna trying to pull the team together.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old March 23rd, 2009   Scott Mateo is offline   #34
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Errr, did he just spoil the end of Battle for the Cowl?

Not that everyone hasn't been expecting that, mind you.
ddf
DeTroyes View Post
I don't think he spoiled anything, Battle For the Cowl is like A World Without Superman, and we're gonna get Reign of the Batmen next.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old March 23rd, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #35
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

Again, do we know that this title will once again become a team book with a regular creative team? My only knowledge on the subject comes from this solicit and it doesn't say that. For all we know, this title could now be open to spotlight issues of any past and present Titan.
ddf
Brian Thomer View Post
At this point, no one know anything. For all we know, the DEO kids are about to make a comeback and take over the title again for the next year.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old March 24th, 2009   Saturn Girl is offline   #36
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

I like the cover, and look forward to seeing the artist's interiors. I actually like that Cyborg looks quite young on that cover, and wouldn't mind at all if all the Titans were written and drawn more like they're still in or barely out of their teens, because they come off sometimes like they're in their 30's.

As for the possibility of more "day in the life" one shots, I'm for it but hope they're interspersed with regular story arcs. Having them serve as an epilogue to an arc where the character featured heavily is a good idea to see what kind of impact the events had on the character, good or bad. I'm hoping Beast Boy and Starfire get some spotlight next.

I am the one who knocks.
Old March 24th, 2009   Hugh Sterbakov is offline   #37
Hugh Sterbakov

Reign of the Batmen! Dammit, you stole my idea!!

Hey, guys-- just wanted to stop by and say hello. Like you guys have already figured out, I'm only doing one issue of Titans, but I'm a big fan of these characters going back to the Wolfman era and the editors and I cooked up a lot of ideas to get to this one. It's always just a matter of scheduling around events. So it's not out of the question that I'll be back in the future. Nothing's planned, but never say never.

So, yeah, I come from my own creator-owned book, Freshmen, so I'm not necessarily used to working with corporate-owned characters, but it's going to be a blast. My Cyborg story is both a direct epilogue to the Deathtrap story and a look into the character's past as he questions his future. I think you're going to enjoy seeing a new "side" to Cyborg-- literally and figuratively.

If you've got any questions or outrage for me, you can find me at my blog, or I'll stop back here once in a while. Be well!

-- Hugh

Old March 24th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #38
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Welcome to the 'Bloc, Mr. Sterbakov!

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old March 24th, 2009   Bob Francis is offline   #39
Bob Francis
Sheesh.

Thank you for stopping by, Mr. Sterbakov! Welcome to the Bloc!

Bob Francis: Writer
AWAKEN, FLIGHT CAPTAIN HURRICANE, and More!
Be Daring, Regret Nothing
Old March 24th, 2009   kory_anders is offline   #40
kory_anders
X'hal!

Welcome aboard, Hugh!

Old March 24th, 2009   Roy Harper is offline   #41
Roy Harper
Tar Aquino

Very welcome

Titans Together!
Old March 24th, 2009   Wally West888 is offline   #42
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I can't wait for the issue, looks really interesting like I said before Cyborg is a really interesting character and want to know how he takes what happens with Jericho controlling him in Deathtrap.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old March 24th, 2009   Hugh Sterbakov is offline   #43
Hugh Sterbakov

Thanks for the warm welcome-- everybody please call me Hugh, or else I'll start looking around for my dad. Or, actually, my granddad, because we call my dad Poppa Sterb.

I've always loved Cyborg, and I'm stoked to crack his head open and really explore the whole man vs. machine argument. Your first instinct about that debate, I think, is to automatically run to the defense of humanity and expect someone in Vic's metal shoes to cling to the flesh, but you can't just do that blindly. In fact, as I was discussing this with the editors, one of the things that came up was, "Well, it's starting to sound like the machine aspect is better." These are emotions you have to crack, you can't just take them for granted and assume you know how someone would feel in this situation.

My comic, Freshmen, has a pretty cool mechanic where every issue is narrated by a different character, and I try to make sure you learn several new things about the narrator in every issue. Things that aren't inherently obvious. Like, for example-- hang with me here-- we've got a talking beaver (it's true) who sort of becomes the reluctant brains of the team, because he's super-smart. But he's still a beaver-- he's still obsessed with building dams-- and when you get inside his head, you realize just how much of an outcast he is with human kids. It's not all fun and games, he's the only talking beaver on Earth and he's all alone, no matter how much this other species tries to relate to him. In some ways, that's Vic, too.

I don't want to give too much away, but Vic will be in a pretty dark place at the beginning of my story, and I'll be exploring whether he even wants to climb out of it, let alone how. It's a way, way different tone from Freshmen, but I'm really excited about it.

Now all that having been said, you're probably thinking this sounds like a morose issue re-examining a character with the same themes you've seen a thousand times, but trust me-- that ain't all there is to it. The core of the story is a cool mystery that spins out of a small detail in Deathtrap and leads Vic into his past, and there are plenty of great action scenes that will make you think about Vic's tech in a whole new light. And the ending is a nice little surprise.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

-- Hugh

Old March 24th, 2009   Hugh Sterbakov is offline   #44
Hugh Sterbakov

Oh, and just for the record, I'm as in the dark about the end of Battle for the Cowl as you guys are. That was just a hurried way of phrasing what we all expect to happen. Or, in my case, what I hope will happen.

I thought it was pretty bad ass when Nightwing became Batman in Knightfall, and I'd kinda like to see it happen again, for a longer period of time, in a way that we'd get to see him struggle with it and maybe take himself out of Bruce's shadow once and for all. I really liked Battle #1. Great layouts, really cinematic.

But man, it'd be hysterical if I managed to ruin the outcome of a major DC plot line five minutes after they announced my first job. LOL!! Alas-- that's why they don't tell the new guy anything.

Old March 24th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #45
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Hugh, the solicit alone intrigued me enough to get this and I haven't gotten any other issue of TITANS, but reading about how much thought you've put into this one issue makes me that much more excited for it. Best of luck with it.

And now, after that talking beaver example, I want to check out FRESHMEN as well.

Staff Writer - Bam Smack Pow
Twitter: PAComicExaminer
Bookmark my page
Old March 24th, 2009   Bill Walko is offline   #46
Bill Walko
Comrade

Sounds like an intriguing issue, Hugh.

And I though FRESHMEN was enjoyable, too.

(in my best Sean Connery): "Welcome to the 'Bloc!"

Check out my new webcomic!
The Hero Business by Bill Walko
Because with great power comes great marketability.
Old March 24th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #47
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Thanks for the warm welcome-- everybody please call me Hugh, or else I'll start looking around for my dad. Or, actually, my granddad, because we call my dad Poppa Sterb.
ddf
Hugh Sterbakov View Post
I'll try. Sorry, I know its an odd brain-kink to have, but I've always felt uncomfortable calling people I've never actually met by their first name.

Now all that having been said, you're probably thinking this sounds like a morose issue re-examining a character with the same themes you've seen a thousand times, but trust me-- that ain't all there is to it. The core of the story is a cool mystery that spins out of a small detail in Deathtrap and leads Vic into his past, and there are plenty of great action scenes that will make you think about Vic's tech in a whole new light. And the ending is a nice little surprise.
ddf
Its sounding better all the time, so don't worry. Good to see Cyborg getting some attention, and here's hoping he pulls himself out of whatever darkness he finds himself.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm as in the dark about the end of Battle for the Cowl as you guys are.
ddf
Hugh Sterbakov View Post
Sorry, my bad. I should have realized you were just generalizing.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Old March 24th, 2009   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #48
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

Sounds like an intriguing issue, Hugh.

And I though FRESHMEN was enjoyable, too.

(in my best Sean Connery): "Welcome to the 'Bloc!"
ddf
Bill Walko View Post
*adds in a better Sean Connery* Yesh, Enjoy the Shnoshagesh.

you can't mention sean connery without me saying how I need to trick him into shaying the word snausages

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo