The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 15th, 2009   rogerburks2 is offline   #49
rogerburks2

Yes--I hate to say it, but the kids line seems to be largely in keeping with how I'd rather see superhero comics. I'm not sure what it is--there's something about teen comics in the mainstream that makes people want to do oddball things that make no sense with the characters.

However, I do like the way Teen Titans could be headed, and I'm hoping that it stays headed in that direction after the Deathtrap detour ends. I'm figuring that it won't, however, because these titles change like the wind.

Old May 20th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #50
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

April Sales figure estimates have now been released, and for the first time that I can remember, all the Titans titles recorded better sales figures than the month before. For Teen Titans, this is the first time that's happened in more than 2 years. For Titans, that's the first time it's happened ever.

Say what you want about Deathtrap and the "event" mentality, the fact remains that events do sell and will bring readers in.

Here are the numbers, according to figures released by ICv2:
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14979.html

FORMAT:

TITLE
Issue # / Release Month / Year / # Units Sold / +/- Previous Month

Teen Titans (Ongoing)
#69 April 2009 35,375 +279
#70 April 2009 35,412 +37

NOTE: Remember, there was no Teen Titans issue in March; that issue got bumped to the first week of April.

Teen Titans Annual 2009 (One-Shot)
#1 April 2009 32,525 N/A

Titans (Ongoing)
#12 April 2009 36,014 +774

Tiny Titans (Ongoing)
#15 April 2009 9,207 +471

Vigilante (Ongoing)
#5 April 2009 21,290 +10,165 (!!!!!)

Analysis:
Okay, the sales gains are mostly small, but this still marks the end of a very, very long slide for all of the titles. At the very least, it looks like the two main titles have both bottomed out at around 35k. Whether the slide will start up again post-"Deathtrap" is anybody's guess, but considering that in previous months the sales declines across the board were decreasing with each successive month, I think it's a good sign that the titles have found their levels. Not great levels mind you, when you consider where they were a year or two ago, but leveled off nevertheless

Titans - Managed to hold on to its top spot. The upcoming "Day in the Life" issues probably won't increase sales, but neither are they likely to decrease them by any significant factor either. The only exception probably will be Titans #15, which should get a significant boost due to is Blackest Night connection.

Teen Titans & Teen Titans Annual 2009 - I still think Teen Titans will probably pass Titans at some point, especially if Conner, Bart, and Tim return to the team. But for now, its bottomed out and should remain in this zone for the foreseeable future.

NOTE: Just as an odd bit of trivia, Titans #12, Teen Titans #70, and Teen Titans #69, were respectively ranked #60, #61, & #62 of the Top 300 titles.

Vigilante - The very good news is that Vigilante picked up a whopping 10k in sales. The bad news is, that's almost double the number of people who bought it the month before. "Deathtrap" has certainly helped this title and probably bought it a few additional months, but it has to hold on to most of this gain if it expects to survive. Cross your fingers, because I like this title.

Tiny Titans - They're doing great. 'Nuff said.

Encouraging signs. At the very least, here's hoping the erosion has stopped.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old June 5th, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #51
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

It's good to know Tiny Titans sales is doing well. Imagine it reaching issue 25 or 50? It'd be awesome and totally deserves it.

But I await the inevitable sales fall now that Deathtrap is over for the Teen and Titans.

Old June 5th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #52
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

IBut I await the inevitable sales fall now that Deathtrap is over for the Teen and Titans.
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
We'll see. But I've got a feeling the drop-offs in sales won't be big, if any at all, over the next couple of issues and probably beyond.

For Titans, we've got the Blackest Night tie-in issue coming up, and there does seem to be some genuine interest in the "Day in a Life" issues - especially now that Winick is gone. My bet is, Titans will probably stay more or less around 35k for the next few months.

For Teen Titans, there seems to be a lot more interest being expressed, with hopes of a reunion for the YJ-4 not to mention genuine interest in the Ravager co-feature. I'm thinking Teen Titans might actually gain some readers.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old June 5th, 2009   chasm is offline   #53
chasm
Master Geoffan

We'll see. But I've got a feeling the drop-offs in sales won't be big, if any at all, over the next couple of issues and probably beyond.

For Titans, we've got the Blackest Night tie-in issue coming up, and there does seem to be some genuine interest in the "Day in a Life" issues - especially now that Winick is gone. My bet is, Titans will probably stay more or less around 35k for the next few months.

For Teen Titans, there seems to be a lot more interest being expressed, with hopes of a reunion for the YJ-4 not to mention genuine interest in the Ravager co-feature. I'm thinking Teen Titans might actually gain some readers.
ddf
DeTroyes View Post
So basically both titles will be on "fill-in" & automatic pilot status for the forseeable future. But shrewd marketing will carry them through. Sad.

Old June 5th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #54
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

The strong sales of the Annual is promising for the bump up in price TEEN TITANS is going to get with the added "Second Feature". Wonder if we might see TITANS add one soon.

Hopefully, those orders of VIGILANTE sold through to the customers. That would be a very healthy shot for the title.

Staff Writer - Bam Smack Pow
Twitter: PAComicExaminer
Bookmark my page
Old June 6th, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #55
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

I'm actually wondering how much of a bump the co-feature might give the title if any. I mean if their were Rose fans wouldn't they have been reading the title to see her in it already? Eh, we'll see how it goes.

Old June 16th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #56
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

May sales figures have been posted, so I guess that means its time again to bore everyone with numbers and statistics.

Here is the raw data for May 2009, courtesy of ICv2:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15147.html

FORMAT:

TITLE
Issue # / Release Month / Year / # Units Sold / +/- Previous Month

Titans (Ongoing)
#13 May 2009 34,343 -1,671

Teen Titans (Ongoing)
#71 May 2009 30,376 -5,036

Tiny Titans (Ongoing)
#16 May 2009 8,844 -363

Vigilante (Ongoing)
#6 May 2009 18,877 -2,413

Superman/Batman (Ongoing)
#60 May 2009 39,531 N/A w/The Justice Titans

Analysis:

Titans - Titans managed to hold on to the top spot, but it's drop-off was pretty bad. That's rather disheartening, since it was starting to level off in the months leading up to "Deathtrap". I'd say Titans #14 is probably going to be not much better, but Titans #15 will be a shot in the arm due to its connection with Blackest Night (especially considering the number of Titans fans who seem genuinely pumped for BN:T). After that, no idea. A lot will depend on who they ultimately give the title to as the permanent writer; if its another unknown like Felicia Henderson, then the title may be toast.

Teen Titans - Huge, huge drop-off. Several factors would be my guess: people just aren't interested in the "new" new-new-new line-up, the loss of Sean McKeever, and the failure for the teen team to be anything more than just walk-ons for "Deathtrap" come immediately to mind. And with fill-in writers for the next several months and a complete unknown as the new ongoing writer, I just don't see how TT can pull out of its dive anymore - and what's more, I think DC knows it. Further evidence, I think, that DC is just putting this title on "holding pattern" status and gearing up for some kind of big relaunch next year.

Vigilante - Sorry guys, but its toast. If "Deathtrap" couldn't get it to stay above 20k on the very last issue of the crossover, then nothing will. Marv Wolfman might be able to string it along for a few more months, but he'll be trying to outrun the devil in doing so. My guess is, the title will survive long enough to get one or perhaps two TPBs, then they'll pull the plug on the monthly and maybe make it a back-up feature somewhere.

BTW, this is probably a good point to recap the sales figures for "Deathtrap":

Deathtrap Prologue: Teen Titans Annual 2009 #1 - 32,525
Deathtrap, Pt. I: Titans #12 - 36,014
Deathtrap, Pt. II: Vigilante #5 - 21,290
Deathtrap, Pt. III: Teen Titans #70 - 35,412
Deathtrap, Pt. IV: Titans #13 - 34,343
Deathtrap, Pt. V: Vigilante #6 - 18,877

I'd say that was evidence for some serious disinterest in this crossover. Vigilante #6, which was suppose to be the climax of the crossover, SHOULD have carried numbers comparable to the other titles. Instead, no one seemed interested in the outcome, and the sales numbers showed it.

(BTW, unless people want me to continue with it, I plan to drop coverage of Vigilante with next month's sales figures, as the title will then be moving away from interaction with the Titans)

Superman/Batman - Included for the Justice Titans. This was actually the biggest selling Titans-related title for the month of May.

Tiny Titans - A negligable drop-off. This one is doing just fine.

*sigh*

That's it for this month.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Old June 16th, 2009   LastSun is offline   #57
LastSun
Master Geoffan

I'm actually wondering how much of a bump the co-feature might give the title if any. I mean if their were Rose fans wouldn't they have been reading the title to see her in it already? Eh, we'll see how it goes.
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
But if it retains it's readers then DC is making more $$ with the higher price point.

Also it might get some people who are trade waiting on the series to start picking up the monthly (I know that is the case for me)

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old June 19th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #58
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I think that's a pretty fair drop off for TITANS considering how the lead up to the crossover was tracking. It still has a ways to fall before we have to worry about cancellation. BN:T should give it a significant boost.

And that drop isn't bad for VIGILANTE at all, considering where it was. If you account for 15% or so that those numbers are generally considered low, it's still just above 20K. Not to mention that 20K no longer seems to be the threshold anyway. More like 16-17K. the sales for 7-9 will be very telling. For what it's worth, I'd still like to see this title as a part of the analysis, at least for a few more months.

Bookmark my page
Old June 19th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #59
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

But if it retains it's readers then DC is making more $$ with the higher price point.

Also it might get some people who are trade waiting on the series to start picking up the monthly (I know that is the case for me)
ddf
LastSun View Post
Right. The issue isn't whether the book gets a bump, but whether it takes a fit due to the co-feature induced price increase. I don't think DC expects Ravager to bring in readers. The point is for Ravager to get the rub from Teen Titans, not vice versa.

Bookmark my page
Old June 19th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #60
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

I think that's a pretty fair drop off for TITANS considering how the lead up to the crossover was tracking. It still has a ways to fall before we have to worry about cancellation. BN:T should give it a significant boost.
ddf
Brian Thomer View Post
I guess I was hoping that it would hold more the level it was at. But on the plus side, it actually has sold better than Trinity has these last few months .

And that drop isn't bad for VIGILANTE at all, considering where it was. If you account for 15% or so that those numbers are generally considered low, it's still just above 20K. Not to mention that 20K no longer seems to be the threshold anyway. More like 16-17K. the sales for 7-9 will be very telling. For what it's worth, I'd still like to see this title as a part of the analysis, at least for a few more months.
ddf
The next few months will be telling. Looking at some of the reactions to Viglante #7 elsewhere have actually been pretty encouraging; it seems that once freed of the millstone that was "Deathtrap", comics fans have been more positive about it. Still, it does not have much of a cushion; 18k is not that far above ordinary cancellation levels, and quite below the numbers of some recent cancellations (LoSH and Birds of Prey, for instance - both of which were doing 20k-23k at time of cancellation).

However, that drop for Teen Titans was just quite unexpected, and a little frightening. And with some of the future direction becoming apparent, I'm not optimistic that's going to be reversed. Unless Ms. Henderson starts hitting homeruns at the outset, I think Teen Titans is on a slow, decaying orbit towards cancellation.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Old June 19th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #61
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Well I don't think LoSH and BoP are fair comparisons, they ended to make way for brand revitalizations. VIGILANTE would be more in the vein of ALL-NEW ATOM, BLUE BEETLE, MANHUNTER, etc. It could even get lucky and be considered a "niche" book like JONAH HEX that gets a little leeway in terms of sales.

The TEEN TITANS drop is shocking, since it's significantly below pre-crossover levels, so one can't say it's due to the crossover ending.

Bookmark my page
Old June 20th, 2009   Argent is offline   #62
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

Comparing any other book to Jonah Hex is difficult because Hex has a European following that keeps it alive in spite of the sub-20k sales in the US. It's an anomaly in an otherwise straightforward marketplace. Vigilante is doomed.

The Teen Titans drop is enough to justify an Editorial shakeup, so I wonder if Didio is going to keep himself on the book or hand it over to someone who might be able to run it with a clearer vision. As is, the book is a shambles and bleeding out readers at an unprecedented rate.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old June 20th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #63
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

That's the first I've heard of the Jonah Hex European following. I'm sure the upcoming movie doesn't hurt either.

Bookmark my page
Old June 20th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #64
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Its possible (but unlikely) that the Teen Titans drop isn't as bad as it appears; sometimes titles that come out at the end of the month get their sales numbers split between one month and the next. But if that happens, they usually show up towards the bottom of the next months list.

When next month's numbers come out, I'll check to see if TT #71 shows up again. If it does, I'll adjust the sales number on my master spreadsheet (yes, I'm keeping a spreadsheet of these sales numbers) and make a note in the monthly analysis.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?