The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Ron Marz > Ron's Comics!

Old January 4th, 2009   dragon.king is offline   #1
dragon.king
Son of Heaven

Default Any word on Virgin Comics artists Jeevan Kang and Mukesh Singh?

Hey Ron!

I was going through some stuff earlier and came across my box of Virgin Comics. I probably have the entire Shakti line from way back to 2006 save perhaps for the last Devi arc. Looking at them again, I remembered how good the books looked when they first came out. The writing needed some work early on but what Virgin really had going for them were their artists. And there are two I'd like to see more of -- Jeevan Kang and Mukesh Singh.

Back when the Witchblade/Devi crossover came out, I recall one editor (from Top Cow I think) thinking aloud about the Sadhu crossing over with a Top Cow property. It can only be the Darkness, I thought, and I would love to see Jeevan Kang work on it. Too bad we may never get to see that, but I'd like to see more work from Jeevan Kang. I have nothing against either Michael Broussard or Jorge Lucas, but Kang seems like such a perfect fit for The Darkness, especially with the book tying into Witchblade as much as it does these days. Just a thought: I enjoyed that Lodbrok special they did, and I don't mind another one shot. *Hint Hint* Oh, and it need not explore the link between the Darkness and Kali, the Hindu god of death.

Mukesh Singh is another. I remember his work in the early issues of Devi getting better every month and this guy really upped his game with Gamekeeper. I'd hate to see his dark and gritty style in a Dark Reign book (because I don't want to get more of those things than I want to) so getting this guy for Top Cow will be a real coup. At first I felt he would also do well in The Darkness (he can rotate arcs with Broussard), then a word flashed across my mind as I looked at his early Devi work:

Magdalena.

I know you've got your plans and this is just me thinking out loud. I figure these two artists fit the Top Cow profile perfectly, and hence here's me throwing their names around. I just hope they're not too tied down at the moment.

P.S. Special mention goes to Abhishek Singh who did an issue of India Authentic and Ramayan. He seemed to be Virgin's go to guy for designs early on. He has a very unique painted style which I describe as an Indian Yoshitaka Amano.

Click here to get a degree in Superhero Theory.
Old January 4th, 2009   Ron Marz is offline   #2
Ron Marz
Premier

I've kept in touch with both Mukesh and Jeevan, as well as a few of the other artists and writers from the former Virgin. In fact, Jeevan did a Samurai pin-up for me that will be included in the next TPB.

I'd love to work with both Mukesh and Jeevan, and we've discussed some options if their schedules allow. A lot depends on what will happen with Liquid Comics, which is the next iteration of the Virgin characters and properties.
Last edited by Ron Marz; April 14th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.

Old January 7th, 2009   dragon.king is offline   #3
dragon.king
Son of Heaven

Awesome. Great to know they're in the loop. I await their next work with keen interest.

And a Samurai pin-up you say? Any word on Volume 3?

Click here to get a degree in Superhero Theory.