The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old December 29th, 2008   Hol is offline   #1
Hol
persona non grata

Default Ronnie Raymond/Prof Stein FIRESTORM: Anyone else want to see him back?

This is a character that needs to be rebirthed if anyone does. Anyone know if there are any plans to bring him back? I love his character and since DC is on it's resurection/rebirth kick why don't we get old Ronnie back? Never cared for Jason so much. And I wanted to. Just never took off for me.

Old December 29th, 2008   Mark MacMillan is offline   #2
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

This is a character that needs to be rebirthed if anyone does. Anyone know if there are any plans to bring him back? I love his character and since DC is on it's resurection/rebirth kick why don't we get old Ronnie back? Never cared for Jason so much. And I wanted to. Just never took off for me.
ddf
Keith Tarnowski View Post
No need, IMO. The Jason/Stein combo works as well as the Ronnie/Stein combo, IMO (and at least Jason isn't another typical white legacy character created to relate to the average comic reading demographic consisting of Caucasian males)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old December 29th, 2008   Atom is offline   #3
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

I'd love to see him back. Just not sold on the Jason-Firestorm, but my best guess is that he's here to stay.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old December 29th, 2008   JRM is offline   #4
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

No need, IMO. The Jason/Stein combo works as well as the Ronnie/Stein combo, IMO (and at least Jason isn't another typical white legacy character created to relate to the average comic reading demographic consisting of Caucasian males)
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
quoted for truth.

Well said, Mark.

Jim

Old December 29th, 2008   Astro is offline   #5
Astro
Geoffan

Yeah, I agree.

I don't think Ronnie, as a personality, was so powerful that he would bring in anything that Jason can't. Ronnie had become the perpetual rookie/idiot since Prof Stein left, and it was a bit tired by the end of his career.

Jason is still the rookie, so he's got that filled, but it is at least genuine -- he hasn't had the powers for that long. He's a competent hero getting the training he needs with the Justice League and I think he's fun, especially when he's got Stein with him.

He, and Blue Beetle are, IMHO, two success stories of the recent replacements (contrasting to Bart-as-Flash, Joseph Aquaman, etc).

Old December 29th, 2008   clarkent1982 is offline   #6
clarkent1982*
Citizen

ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Same here.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old December 29th, 2008   oddballuk is offline   #7
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

I'd like to see Ronnie Raymond back, but not necessarily as part of a Raymond/Stein Firestorm.

I really like Jason Rusch too and since Ronnie was Firestorm for quite some time without Professor Stein, I could get behind a Ronnie/Jason Firestorm with Ronnie becoming the mentor to Jason whilst in the Matrix with Prof Stein back in the lab using his research to better mankind instead of out performing heroics (which can be Ronnie & Jason's job).

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old December 29th, 2008   Doug Zawisza is offline   #8
Doug Zawisza
Most Excellent Superbat

Ronnie is my favorite hero ever.

More than Flash, Hawkman or Aquaman. More than Blue Beetle, Red Tornado or Vixen.

Spider-Man may have been the first, but Firestorm was MY guy. When my friends and I all got together as kids, I always got to be Firestorm.

That said, I truly enjoyed Jason's adventures.

I'd definitely be interested in reading more Firestorm, but it needs to be right.

Old December 29th, 2008   Greg Owens is offline   #9
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
I'm with Mark on this one. Unless Ronnie and Stein alternated helping Jason or something.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old December 29th, 2008   Robert Saunders is offline   #10
Robert Saunders
Formerly Ebony Warrior

I would like to see him come back, but only because I loved the original firestorm series.

Old December 29th, 2008   jafabian is offline   #11
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I like Jason and I like him a lot, but I like Ronnie a lot more. The Ostrander issues of Firestorm are a good read but I hated the change it did to the character.

Old December 29th, 2008   starks is offline   #12
starks
Geoffan

I think he could come back, as his own Firestorm entity, to go along w/ Jason/Stein.

Old December 29th, 2008   Matt Olsen is offline   #13
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

I haven't liked Stein's use much since he returned, so I think Ronnie might work as the new mentor. Ronnie no longer makes sense as the perpetual rookie, but a not-quite-ready-but-forced-to-be-mentor role could be interesting.

My first priority for Ronnie, though, is some collections of his stories!

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old December 29th, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #14
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Maybe if you bake someone a cake.

Old December 29th, 2008   Scott Mateo is offline   #15
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
No, he just started out as a stereotypical 2 dimensional caucasian's take on an ethnic character, created out of (or maybe to "ease"?) white guilt and border-lining on blaxpoitation - until Stuart Moore took over.

That said, I love the way he's been used since Jolley left and Dwayne's been writing him. If Mik can come back out of nowhere, I don't see why Ronnie can't return after his stint as a Black Lantern

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old December 29th, 2008   TJ Freeman is offline   #16
TJ Freeman
The Captain

I'm sure it will happen eventually... and you will probably see ted come back as the Beetle too ... doesn't seem like the new guard gets to stick around too long before getting replaced by the old guard.

Though I won't say much Kyle and Wally both had nice runs.

Hey dork, shut up before I retcon your face!