The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old December 1st, 2008   General grievous is offline   #1
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Default Here's the Aquaman Pitch mark waid proposed.

Took me some time to find this piece. This can be merged with the comic pitches thread, I just can't find it presently.

http://www.newsarama.com/general/Rin...ngo_01.htmlTBD
A One-Issue Prestige Format
Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo
Preliminary Pitch/August 3, 2003

I am so sick of people making fun of Aquaman that I'm beginning to take it personally. For the last ten years or so, the way we've been scrambling to combat Aquaman's "Dork of the Sea" image--and I've been guilty of trying this, too--is by making Aquaman increasingly darker, grittier, and tougher, the brooding, angry king beset with trouble. Each incarnation of the character seems grimmer than the last, to the point where all that's left for us to do is give him two hooks. And a peg-leg.

OR--here's ANOTHER thought. Yes, the seas can be turbulent and stormy, but y'know what? Far more often, the ocean is a universal symbol for peace and contentment. It's a calming influence. If it weren't, Bermuda would be deserted and Hawaii would be an industrial trade port. It is most people's "happy place." Yes, the ocean is the set piece for "A Perfect Storm," but it's also the world of "Finding Nemo" and "The Little Mermaid." I have never yet met anyone of any age who didn't come away from Sea World envying the guides who swim with the whales and porpoises. I propose we turn this "grim Aquaman" paradigm around for a one-shot and see what happens. "Test the waters," if you will. I know, I slay me. Anyway....

Our POV character in this story is a female marine biologist--and since Aquaman's turf covers the world, there's no need to make her American. (In fact, Russian is preferable--I've been doing a lot of reading about the culture of Russian courtship, and that could really play in nicely.) At any rate, our biologist--let's call her Yelena for now--may have heard the name "Aquaman" here and there, but to her, he's about as real and significant as, say, German football stars are to you and me.

Yelena's work is done with grungy old equipment and spit-and-bailing-wire technology, the best she has to work with. Her whole world has a gritty feel to it--

--so when this bright, blond, shining knight of a man pops out of the water and into her life, she's addled simply by the contrast.

Their paths cross, she's drawn into an adventure, and to Yelena, this "Aquaman" is, yes, mysterious like the sea--but in a warm, enticing way. To Yelena, he is otherworldly, like a fairy tale character come to life. He rarely speaks (though when he does, he's staggeringly charming), he lives in the water, and he smiles. Constantly. In fact, at first, Yelena has a nearly impossible time taking him seriously. He's like a walking cartoon.

And yet...the more she gets to know him, the further she's drawn out of her world and into his, she'll come to realize that there's something going on behind those wide eyes of his. Looking in them, she sees peace and confidence; looking through them, she's gradually introduced to an underwater world of absolute wonder, a place that is far more colorful and in tune with nature than is her own gritty lifestyle. Once she surrenders to the implausibility of it all, she's rewarded a thousandfold, and so are we. Aquaman's joy becomes her joy becomes OUR joy.

There will be no mocking. NO jokes about how "dumb" talking to fish is. Anyone with a keyboard can make cynical jokes. That's easy. What's harder is reminding you why, when you were a kid, you thought the idea of living underwater or commanding the creatures of the sea WAS cool. We can do that. We can remind you, and Yelena's awed voice will be there to back us up.
ddf

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old December 1st, 2008   dragon.king is offline   #2
dragon.king
Son of Heaven

Hmm. I'll have to see it as a comic book. Doesn't look good in pitch speak. I agree on Aquaman as a bright contrast to everything else. Let's see how long that lasts.

Click here to get a degree in Superhero Theory.
Old December 1st, 2008   evilscratch is offline   #3
evilscratch
The Hepatic Horseman

I still think that Pfeifer got it right. Perhaps if DC had backed his play with even the slightest bit of promotion and support, we would still have a kick-ass Aquaman series.

Old December 1st, 2008   WC Brooks is offline   #4
WC Brooks
Neo Geoffan

I still think that Pfeifer got it right. Perhaps if DC had backed his play with even the slightest bit of promotion and support, we would still have a kick-ass Aquaman series.
ddf
evilscratch View Post
Damn if that's not the truth!

Pfeifer (with great artistic assist by Patrick Gleason) was on the verge of something great. Taking those two off the book sealed its doom.

"Aquaman: Sea King in Exile"
The DEFINITIVE Aquaman saga
Old December 1st, 2008   oddballuk is offline   #5
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

As much as I loved the PAD era of Aquaman, i'd have loved to see Waid and Wieringo get a shot at Aquaman.

The unused comic pitches thread that you're looking for is just a few threads down from this one (at the moment)!

Here: http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65497

It also includes this Waid/Wieringo pitch and some art too.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old December 1st, 2008   Hamish Campbell is offline   #6
Hamish Campbell
Geoffan

Not sure about the Waid pitch, but yeah Pfeifer really had something going with his much to short run - maybe if it had started the series rather than being burdened by following on from the previous creators he might have been able more support.

Old December 1st, 2008   WC Brooks is offline   #7
WC Brooks
Neo Geoffan

Not sure about the Waid pitch, but yeah Pfeifer really had something going with his much to short run - maybe if it had started the series rather than being burdened by following on from the previous creators he might have been able more support.
ddf
Hamish Campbell View Post
I say let Pfeifer and Gleason finish their story.

It would harm nothing.

"Aquaman: Sea King in Exile"
The DEFINITIVE Aquaman saga
Old December 1st, 2008   oddballuk is offline   #8
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

I say let Pfeifer and Gleason finish their story.

It would harm nothing.
ddf
WC Brooks View Post
Agreed.

Even make it a mini if DC don't want to launch a new ongoing with it.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old December 1st, 2008   pacemaker is offline   #9
pacemaker
Neo Geoffan

How long was the Pfeifer/Gleason run I've wanted to read that for awhile.

I know it started with 15 right? And was that the Sub Diego story? When did it end.

Thanks

Dan Van Der Linden
VOTE JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL IN THE SUPERHERO FANTASY LEAGUE
Old December 1st, 2008   5andman is offline   #10
5andman
Master Geoffan

I think Waid's pitch would be perfect for Johnny DC.

Old December 1st, 2008   SWilliams is offline   #11
SWilliams
Klacktoveedesteen!

I liked the pitch, and I'd buy that in a minute.

Of course, as I look over at my long boxes filled with "Resurrection Man," "Quantum & Woody," Alan Moore's "Supreme" and "Suicide Squad," I realize that my liking it might not be the best indicator that it would succeed commercially.

"I am BAYTOR!" -- Baytor
Old December 1st, 2008   Steve Danger is offline   #12
Steve Danger
Advanced Geoffan

I remember reading about this on Ringo's blog. Unfortunately another story he never got to tell, he would have rocked the ocean for it's worth.

Old December 1st, 2008   chrisbenes is offline   #13
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

ddf
evilscratch View Post
I never really got into Aquaman until Pfeifer.

Wish he was still on the book..I may still be reading it.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old December 1st, 2008   Hamish Campbell is offline   #14
Hamish Campbell
Geoffan

Actually I wish Pfeifer was on anything at the moment!!
A Ringo draw Aquaman would have been awesome.

Old December 1st, 2008   Hierarch555 is offline   #15
Hierarch555
Paul O'Neil

Pfifer's run was great. I'm not sure on Waid's take but it would've been better than the Cthulu and son Aquaman that we had before Final Crisis.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old December 3rd, 2008   jmb418 is offline   #16
jmb418

I think Waid's pitch would be perfect for Johnny DC.
ddf
5andman View Post

Why? Can't grown-ups enjoy comics that have a sense of wonder?