The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 30th, 2008   eboogyman is offline   #1
eboogyman
Lawn Chair Repairman

Default Will Dan Didio Fix the Titans?

As much as everyone says that Dan is going to ruin the Titans (More then it is now) I will remain optimistic. In the latest DC Nation he states that Static Shock will join the Titans "Back as we remember them" Hopefully that means they will bring the dream team back. As a matter of fact, a friend at comic con overheard the fact that Dan recognized that people hate the fact that he tore apart the TT dream team and "is going to fix it"

Why would I remain optimistic? Because Dan created the Titans in 2003 in the first place because of the face that there was a dream team in YJ and it wasnt selling well. Then after Infinite Crisis he seemed to have lost all sense and logic but thats another story.

Some people will speculate that the titans arent broken and are happy with the status quo the way it is, but the numbers tell a different story...

Chart Position | Title | Issue No | Amt Sold
49 TEEN TITANS #61 44,666
49 TEEN TITANS #60 45,036
48 TEEN TITANS #59 46,306
43 TEEN TITANS #58 47,357
34 TEEN TITANS #57 49,109
18 TEEN TITANS #24 69,046

With Geoffs Dream Team Titans in the top 20 and selling close to 70,000 copies per month to now at 45,000, its a 35% drop off and losing 1000 readers per month. I'd say drastic measures are needed.

I feel as if even the dream team returns, will it even save the Titans from mediocrity? With storys of Wendy and Marvin to Blue Beetle\Red Devil buddy stories to a lack of understanding about who Tim and Cassie actually are, even with the dream team back will it even matter?

Oh and BTW...
154 BLUE BEETLE #28 13,620

You read it right, Blue Beetle doesnt even come close to the top 100 (#154) and a measly 13,620 people per month enjoy his title. I think adding blue beetle brought the titans down rather then elevating his own book. Whereas Superboys popularity at the time of his death could have warrented his own book and they killed him and gave BB a title ?!?!

Are the Titans doomed? With losing 1000 readers a month well be at 0 readers by issue 100.

Old August 30th, 2008   Wilder Midnight2 is offline   #2
Wilder Midnight2
dandelion

some might argue he should stop trying to fix the titans.

:P

Old August 30th, 2008   curiouswanderer is offline   #3
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I definitely think that Dan needs to take a hands off approach when it comes to comics. His ideas of what works and what doesn't....with rare exception, doesn't work.
Characters have been rotating in and out on a basis that would make the X-Men jealous and the characters that are around bear little to no resemblance to the characters that started this book. I dont think that Blue Beetle has hurt this book at all, the character does add a great deal to the group as far as personalities goes. The death of Superboy I think did hurt the series as did graduating Impulse/Kid Flash to Flash and then killing him off (even if only temporarily.) I fear the book may be in for even more dis-service with what's going on over in the Bat titles and what that may hold for Robin.
To his credit, Sean McKeever has been doing some good stuff with the book since he came on, but he is continuing the rotating door. We've got the promise of new character joining (including the oft-requested Static which may boost sales somewhat.)
The problem facing the book right now is that the team doesn't resemble a team at all. What worked for Young Justice (a book that wasn't doing badly in sales and was canceled to re-start Teen Titans not sales) and what worked for Geoff's run on the series is that these characters had been together for a long time and really were friends. Of those characters all we have left are Wonder Girl and Robin. For this book to work, it needs to be brought back to a group of friends who know each other and interact with each other in more ways than just yelling at each other. Hopefully that's a direction Sean is moving in as he is trying to tie up old plot lines and bring in more characters.

But that's just my opinion...nothing of importance.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old August 30th, 2008   Timekeeper is offline   #4
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

Bart's coming back in LO3W, and if he gets on Titans the book's sales will shoot up. Kon coming back would without a doubt save the book as we'd have the 'dream team' again and at the same time new characters.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old August 30th, 2008   The Krystal Method is offline   #5
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

Simple answer -- No.

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old August 30th, 2008   Marcus Mebes is offline   #6
Marcus Mebes
Colorist to the Stars!

Wait a minute... wait a minute... BART IS COMING BACK????????? Where did I miss this? Where was it revealed???

1John 3:7-22. I wish I was better at it!!! :)
Production Editor of PACESETTER: The George Pérez Magazine and THE BAUM BUGLE: A Journal of Oz.
Old August 30th, 2008   JRM is offline   #7
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Wait a minute... wait a minute... BART IS COMING BACK????????? Where did I miss this? Where was it revealed???
ddf
Marcus Mebes View Post
Go check in the L3W form. It has been pretty common knowledge since at least SDCC. Now whether or not he'll end up back in the TT, is still up in the air. We can only hope that a teen-age Bart will be back on the in the near future.

Jim

Old August 30th, 2008   imnosuperman is offline   #8
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

Oh and BTW...
154 BLUE BEETLE #28 13,620

You read it right, Blue Beetle doesnt even come close to the top 100 (#154) and a measly 13,620 people per month enjoy his title. I think adding blue beetle brought the titans down rather then elevating his own book. Whereas Superboys popularity at the time of his death could have warrented his own book and they killed him and gave BB a title ?!?!

Are the Titans doomed? With losing 1000 readers a month well be at 0 readers by issue 100.
ddf
eboogyman View Post
Three things here:

1. Do you actuallty think that they killed Superboy just so Jaime could have his solo title? Have you even read said solo title?

2. So it was an off month for BB. Why? Because it was a fill-in issue. By the guy who did Amazons Attack. It isn't always that low, believe me.

3. Yes, because we can all assume that the book will lose readers each and every month.

Will Work For Comics

Like RPing? Then check this forum out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/DC_The_New_Heroes
Old August 30th, 2008   eboogyman is offline   #9
eboogyman
Lawn Chair Repairman

Three things here:

1. Do you actuallty think that they killed Superboy just so Jaime could have his solo title? Have you even read said solo title?

2. So it was an off month for BB. Why? Because it was a fill-in issue. By the guy who did Amazons Attack. It isn't always that low, believe me.

3. Yes, because we can all assume that the book will lose readers each and every month.
ddf
imnosuperman View Post
1) Never said that and what does me reading BB have to do with what I was posting about?

2) Yes it is, look it up champ - http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/1850.html

3) Why should a book lose readers each month, isnt the point to make a book better so it will pick up readers?

Old August 30th, 2008   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #10
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

Obligatory "what needs to be fixed it's just your opinion blah blah ****ing blah I love all comics duuurrrr" post.

Old August 30th, 2008   imnosuperman is offline   #11
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

1) Never said that and what does me reading BB have to do with what I was posting about?

2) Yes it is, look it up champ - http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/1850.html

3) Why should a book lose readers each month, isnt the point to make a book better so it will pick up readers?
ddf
eboogyman View Post
I missread your point about Superboy, and I apologize. That said, I stand by my belief that Blue Beetle does not, in fact, make the book any worse. The reason he was brought on in the first place was because he comes from a cult-favorite book. Plus, he adds a light-heartedness to the book in these times. So his book does not sell well; does this constitue removing him from the team? After all, he is one of the more prominent teenagers in the DCU right now.

As for that last point? I was kidding, pal. Of course I want the book to draw in new readers; I was trying to make a point. From the way you worded it, you make it sound like the book is always going to be losing readers.

Will Work For Comics

Like RPing? Then check this forum out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/DC_The_New_Heroes
Old August 30th, 2008   Drink is offline   #12
Drink
Official Scofflaw

Kon was killed to make way for Jaime???

Well, as long as it makes the Ted fans shut up...

Also, shame on all of you who don't read Blue Beetle. "YARGH! Something new and different! Must clutch to childhood things and never accept change!!!!"

Old August 30th, 2008   fallen2far is offline   #13
fallen2far
Neo Geoffan

I'd like to give Jamie a shot, but I'm not going to. I have to want to read the book for me to fork over 3 bucks, it's as simple as that. I have a grudge against the character because of what happened with Tim. If Ted was brought back and was in Booster Gold, I'd have collected every trade and added the book to my pull list. But I can't bring myself to be interested in a characer that was introduced that way. I know, my 3 bucks doesn't matter, not when it has 13,000 other readers. That perception is why Jamie's in the big leagues.

Old August 30th, 2008   imnosuperman is offline   #14
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

I'd like to give Jamie a shot, but I'm not going to. I have to want to read the book for me to fork over 3 bucks, it's as simple as that. I have a grudge against the character because of what happened with Tim. If Ted was brought back and was in Booster Gold, I'd have collected every trade and added the book to my pull list. But I can't bring myself to be interested in a characer that was introduced that way. I know, my 3 bucks doesn't matter, not when it has 13,000 other readers. That perception is why Jamie's in the big leagues.
ddf
fallen2far View Post
For the record, his name is Jaime. And I can fully respect your not willing to buy it for what happened to Ted. But 13,000 readers means that anybody's three bucks would matter.

Will Work For Comics

Old August 31st, 2008   Premutos is offline   #15
Premutos
persona non grata

No, PLEASE. As if Didio hadn't done enough "fixing" already.

Old August 31st, 2008   Marcus Mebes is offline   #16
Marcus Mebes
Colorist to the Stars!

As we say here in the South, "Dan's fixin' to further destroy DC Comics as part of his subterfuge to make the company go bankrupt."

1John 3:7-22. I wish I was better at it!!! :)
Production Editor of PACESETTER: The George Pérez Magazine and THE BAUM BUGLE: A Journal of Oz.