The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 18th, 2008   Ramon is offline   #1
Ramon
Geoffan

Default Titans # 2

Ok, so the boards were down, for a while I guess no one has started a Titans # 2 discussion.

What I really want to know is what all those Judd Winick fans that were thrilled he was going to be the new series writter think about the issue?

I guess readers like myself who are not fans of his writing style at all and who stated that we were dissapointed by him being in charge of the new book received a big surprise when the second issue was released.

After reading the one shot and the first issue of the series I was sure the rest of the issues were going to be bad.

Man I was wrong, very very wrong. Titans # 2 was not a bad book. That is the understatement of the year. I am usually not that agressive with my comments but that was the worst piece of .... ever published by DC comics.
I really can't believe that in the same week, I read Booster Gold (a character I never cared for and found incredible booring) and a Titans book featuring most of my current alive favorite titans ever....and after reading each tittle the experience was so different, totally oposite.
That is the difference between a good story telller and someone who does not seem to care or know the characters he is writing about.

the art was horrible also. Man, what the heck is wrong with Titans editors !!!!
I can't belive I am saying this, but i might end up not buying the series....a book that has most of my favorite characters in comics. I will give Judd a chance though and finish the first arc, but if the three issues that I have seen already are an indication....I am out.

Quit killing Titans !!!
Old May 18th, 2008   Roy Harper is offline   #2
Roy Harper
Tar Aquino

I agree with Ramon. I will give to Judd a chance to finish his arc. But I couldnt find the characters voices...
Gar is an elf... Why??
Raven is a weird character... Why?
Donna is worried to her hair? Why?

God... I will wait to finish the arc, but I am worried... I am optimist... But please, Judd.. save our characters...

Gar making jokes on that situations??????
Please

Titans Together!
Old May 18th, 2008   Staredcraft is offline   #3
Staredcraft
Geoffan

In reguards to the art, I JUST met Joe Beneitz this weekend at Motor City Comic Con and he said by Issue 4 or 5 the style will be VERY different. He had just jumped on, remember, and has only NOW foudn his legs...he was just given the script I mean, nothing else to work off of. So cut him some slack guys. He also said his cartoon edge to the characters will be gone too (they were the first things complained about by the editors and such)

Give it by the end of the arc and then once hte next arc starts we'll be rolling good

Old May 18th, 2008   gottaluvit is offline   #4
gottaluvit
Geoffan

I'm very much a fan of many of Winick's other works, but Titan's #2 dissapointed me. I liked The Titan's East Special and Titan's #1, but this issue was a big let down. Ben Morse stated that Winick's first run on this book was as good as his Exiles run, I really have to disagree with that.

I didn't feel these were the characters I know and loved. I don't feel they were even written as well as they have been previously by Judd. It's almost as though DC doesn't want these characters to shine as much as they have the potential to because it would take away some of the gloss that their mentors and the big 3 have, I know thats probebly not the case but thats what it felt like to me, as if DC doesn't want these characters to reach their potential and so treat them like fools.

I'll stick with this book because I'd hate to send DC the message that these characters aren't loved and thus let Dan Didio think his beleif that they are redundant is prooved, but I did send both Judd and Dan an email, worded politely of course.

RED ARROW FANS!! Join us in makeing the Roy Harper Yahoo group the biggest fan group for Roy fans on the net. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoyHarper/
Old May 18th, 2008   dl316bh is offline   #5
dl316bh
Supreme Geoffan

The way Gar was portrayed is a crying shame. After all this hoping he'd get a regular place to appear each month, I'm starting to think he was better off in limbo. It's like he's been smacked back twenty years or had his "voice" ripped right out of the animated series, only made more obnoxious.

Thanks Judd. I put some measure of faith in you considering you have done decent books and you let me down. I'll know better next time.

Old May 18th, 2008   Roy Harper is offline   #6
Roy Harper
Tar Aquino

I'm very much a fan of many of Winick's other works, but Titan's #2 dissapointed me. I liked The Titan's East Special and Titan's #1, but this issue was a big let down. Ben Morse stated that Winick's first run on this book was as good as his Exiles run, I really have to disagree with that.

I didn't feel these were the characters I know and loved. I don't feel they were even written as well as they have been previously by Judd. It's almost as though DC doesn't want these characters to shine as much as they have the potential to because it would take away some of the gloss that their mentors and the big 3 have, I know thats probebly not the case but thats what it felt like to me, as if DC doesn't want these characters to reach their potential and so treat them like fools.

I'll stick with this book because I'd hate to send DC the message that these characters aren't loved and thus let Dan Didio think his beleif that they are redundant is prooved, but I did send both Judd and Dan an email, worded politely of course.
ddf
gottaluvit View Post
What can I say? Gottaluvit said all in my place...

Titans Together!
Old May 18th, 2008   imnosuperman is offline   #7
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

Christ, now the people who say, "It's written by Winick. What did you expect?" have some new ammo.
Last edited by imnosuperman; May 18th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Will Work For Comics

Like RPing? Then check this forum out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/DC_The_New_Heroes
Old May 18th, 2008   Roy Harper is offline   #8
Roy Harper
Tar Aquino

I would love to know what Bill Walko and Troialover thought!
Last edited by Roy Harper; May 18th, 2008 at 07:01 PM.

Titans Together!
Old May 18th, 2008   Joey Wilson is offline   #9
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

In reguards to the art, I JUST met Joe Beneitz this weekend at Motor City Comic Con and he said by Issue 4 or 5 the style will be VERY different. He had just jumped on, remember, and has only NOW foudn his legs...he was just given the script I mean, nothing else to work off of. So cut him some slack guys. He also said his cartoon edge to the characters will be gone too (they were the first things complained about by the editors and such)

Give it by the end of the arc and then once hte next arc starts we'll be rolling good
ddf
Staredcraft View Post
Nooooo! I thought Churchill was coming back! Beneitz' "art" was a travesty this issue-- elf Gar, puckered women with enormous hair, Cyborg looking constipated. He can improve all he wants, but unless his "art" begins to be 100% unrecognizable from what he's brought here, then it's going to be pure pain.

Also, I was one of the cautiously optimistic Titans fans that thought Winnick did a decent job on the special and on Titans. And now I'm eating my words. DC, get him and Beneitz OFF this book. You're taking one of the most beloved sets of characters in the DCU and allowing them to be mangled by a disastrous creative team.

Old May 18th, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #10
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

This is the worst comic I've read in at least a year. Yes, the art was horrific, but the writing was almost as bad. Look at Argent's dialogue in the first few pages.

Just wretched.

As for the art... Yes, Churchill's proportions are downright offensive, but at least he seems somewhat professional. This was just bad.

Old May 18th, 2008   curiouswanderer is offline   #11
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Ok, wow. What an issue. I really really try to find some redeeming factor in everything that I read. I try to give as many allowances as possible for whatever reason...but this was hands down, the worst thing I have ever read. I honestly believe that. There was absolutely nothing recognizable about any of the characters I was reading.
Now, had this been an issue of Teen Titans Go! I might have been more inclined to give it some value as all the characters sounded more like the characters from that series than they did in anything remotely resembling the regular DCU. Kory was the worst...no it was Raven...no, Trigon...wait, there was the line from Donna about being the ponytail and red leotard....something she never wore together! I hate to say it, but I just might have to drop this series featuring my all time favorite group of characters.

As far as the art goes, I really expected it to look a little off. Benetiz' work is...extremely stylized and under normal circumstances generally recieves a strong reaction. This issue really pushed things even for him. Way too cartoony, which I was glad to read that it wont be around long, however, issue 4 or 5 is a long time to put up with art that is so disappointing. Which even though I usually do like Benetiz work, this issue was disappointing.
The writing however, was just bad.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old May 18th, 2008   Zatara2000 is offline   #12
Zatara2000
Advanced Geoffan

I was pretty indifferent to the story and the art for the exception of Beast Boy. Although not a character I've ever loved, he just seemed so out of sync and the way he was drawn was dreadful as all hell. Hopefully we'll see some of the improvements promised as time goes on.

Despite this set back, I'm indifferent enough to continue buying the book for now. I mean, I've read a lot worse books, and especially Titans books, in my time. Must I remind you of the DEO Orphans? Until they "take over" I'm sticking around.

Confessions of a Pop Culture Addict
www.popcultureaddict.com

If your not reading it, then you don't love pop culture
Old May 18th, 2008   Hierarch555 is offline   #13
Hierarch555
Paul O'Neil

The worst thing about this issue (to me) was the conversation between Raven and her father, when the hell have they ever talked like that. Maybe Judd thinks Raven is a boring character or something but that doesn't give him the right to drastically change her character to make her cool. Altering established characterization that drastically is a sign that the writer should not work on characters they did not create. No wonder why Tony Isabella was so pissed at Winick.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old May 18th, 2008   curiouswanderer is offline   #14
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I was pretty indifferent to the story and the art for the exception of Beast Boy. Although not a character I've ever loved, he just seemed so out of sync and the way he was drawn was dreadful as all hell. Hopefully we'll see some of the improvements promised as time goes on.

Despite this set back, I'm indifferent enough to continue buying the book for now. I mean, I've read a lot worse books, and especially Titans books, in my time. Must I remind you of the DEO Orphans? Until they "take over" I'm sticking around.
ddf
Zatara2000 View Post
I dont know...I think this even beats the DEO kids. At least the main characters looked and sounded like the main characters there.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old May 18th, 2008   Binker is offline   #15
Binker

By Nathaniel Ruff (also known as Binker and Nate on many forums)

TITANS #2

Written by Judd Winick
Art and Cover by Joe Benitez and Victor Llamas
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
The Titans hunt continues as all known Titans are being stalked and attacked! Can Nightwing, Beast Boy, Raven, Cyborg, Starfire, Red Arrow, and Donna Troy survive long enough to discover the identity of their mysterious foe?

REVIEW:
My first review to the first issue to a new Titans book was a great beginning for the new series. Throughout my review, I had to repeatedly point out that you guys DON'T need Titans East to understand the first issue, or even the story, of this story arc. The responses proved that point so I was glad to reach everyone's minds. Each of our cast of characters were reintroduced, or introduced for new readers, nicely to get them going onto the story. One of the things that came out in-between the first issue and the second was the artwork. The artwork was so great in issue #1, that the change in the artist for issue #2 made us how the art would be for the rest of the arc. I did check out Joe Benitez' artwork, and his is fine (though his Wonder Woman is a mix of Amazon and Anorexia). I just wonder how everyone would feel, even me, when we see the pages to issue #2. With that in mind, here is issue #2!

First off, the art: since that was one of the things first talked about before the second issue came out, I felt I should mention it first before I continue on. Well, the art happens to be fine. I have no problem with it, it is still very good. I doubt anyone else would, unless they compared it to the artwork from the first issue where that art would win. But the artwork from this issue, to whenever Joe Benitez stays on the book, happens to be fine. Now, back to the issue itself. This issue at first seems to be filler, but in all honestly, it really isn't. The focus is on Raven talking to her father, Trigon. And the revelation revealed at the end that Trigon has a son, if not sons, helping him in his mission to rule Earth. After saving Argent, another ex-Titan, one of our main characters that was only briefly seen in the first issue, gets a slight spotlight: Cyborg. We learn, unless this was something in Titans East, that he put Power Boy on the team to keep an eye on him over the idea that he might've been dirty. But now that he is dead, he is blaming himself. Looking at the third issue, something tells me that what has happened will be in Cyborg's head for that issue, and maybe in the fourth as that ends the arc.

Overall, there isn't really anything else to say about this issue. It was still good, as we did have some developments mainly from Raven. But it can feel a bit of a filler, but that didn't last much as you continue on with the story of the issue. With issue #2, the first half of this arc is done, now we begin the second half with the next two issues, starting with issue #3 next!

RATING: Yay

Next Issue: Random hook-ups, internal fighting, envy…

Old May 18th, 2008   TerraApocalypse is offline   #16
TerraApocalypse

Oh, yeah..... this was bad. Garfield looked the worst, I believe. Was it the cartoon that inspired the god-awful pointed ears? They only work on Tiny Titans Gar! I cannot wait to read what Talon has to say about Rave. My worst fears have been confirmed. I've had nightmares about Trigon. There is an over-whelming sense of fear and helplessness. Well, there's no more reason to have nightmares, I guess.

Let me be Scott Free --- and find myself!- Mister Miracle