The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 16th, 2007   troialover04 is offline   #273
troialover04
Advanced Geoffan

just watched the jamal igle interview on youtube - he said he is doing issues 52 to 54 ...?
what happened to Ale?

Old September 16th, 2007   kory_anders is offline   #274
kory_anders
X'hal!

He might be taking over after issue 54, I dunno, but I love both artists work so I'm happy with either one

Old September 16th, 2007   Roy Harper is offline   #275
Roy Harper
Tar Aquino

Agreed, Kory... Jamal Igle is GREAT!

Titans Together!
Old September 16th, 2007   Frankenstein is offline   #276
Frankenstein
Keyboard Warrior

just watched the jamal igle interview on youtube - he said he is doing issues 52 to 54 ...?
what happened to Ale?
ddf
troialover04 View Post
Actually, Eddy Barrows, from 52, The Atom and Countdown to Adventure, is doing #54:

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Dec07/solicitations.html

Hopefully Ale returns with #55.

Old September 16th, 2007   troialover04 is offline   #277
troialover04
Advanced Geoffan

oh dont get me wrong! love Jamals work! but just thought everything seemed to lead to Ale being full time on the book from issue 51? all good either way!

Old September 16th, 2007   Teenlantern923 is offline   #278
Teenlantern923
Advanced Geoffan

I could live with a circle of great artists rotating duties on the book' especially if that circle is Ale Garza, Jamal Igle, Eddy Barrows, and Randy Green

But I really hope Ale Garza is the ongoing artist he's got such a great handle on the characters, hope your back with 55 Ale.

Old September 16th, 2007   Joey Wilson is offline   #279
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

Just to weigh in on Supergirl's look-- I don't mind her costume being trendy, but her current look is DATED as heck. It's very 2002 and just makes her look like white trash. I also loathe that Cassie's great jeans and tank update by Tony Daniels has been bastardized into yet another belly shirt mess. Her OYL look with the longer hair, no bangs and casual but not too revealing outfit was perfect. Sigh.

And while I enjoy Garza's work, there's no way he's going to be even remotely consistent on TT. Check out his track record with Batgirl then look at the recent solicitations for TT. This book needs some consistency, not a continuation of the revolving door of creators it's suffered lately.

Old September 16th, 2007   richiedg is offline   #280
richiedg

On Newsarama it has Eddy Barrows doing the art for TT #54.
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Dec07/solicitations.html

He looks cool - but I am still bummed b/c I think Ale is the best.
Is Ale still going to be on TT?

Old September 16th, 2007   Sinyaa is offline   #281
Sinyaa
Geoffan

Just to weigh in on Supergirl's look-- I don't mind her costume being trendy, but her current look is DATED as heck. It's very 2002 and just makes her look like white trash. I also loathe that Cassie's great jeans and tank update by Tony Daniels has been bastardized into yet another belly shirt mess. Her OYL look with the longer hair, no bangs and casual but not too revealing outfit was perfect. Sigh.

And while I enjoy Garza's work, there's no way he's going to be even remotely consistent on TT. Check out his track record with Batgirl then look at the recent solicitations for TT. This book needs some consistency, not a continuation of the revolving door of creators it's suffered lately.
ddf
Joey Wilson View Post
I agree that Supergirl's outfit is kind of outdated. Even the makers of Kim Possible noticed that the belly shirts are going out of style and updated Kim's wardrobe in the last season. They even devoted a whole episode to her finding a new mission outfit since the old went out of style and she could replacements after it got damaged during a mission.

Though I doubt they'll be changing Supergirl's outfit anytime soon. I would expect adult men to keep with the trends of teenage girls which is why its common for mainstream superhero comics to be several years behind the times. Fortunately, I have less problem with the outfit when Garza draws her because he seems to characterize her as a trend setter than a trend follower what with the haircut, headband, and diamond belt. He doesn't over sexualize and objectify her and draws her with so much life and personality that I can ignore what an eyesore her uniform is. Truthfully, I wish they just keep the classic full shirted, red-skirt look like Helen Slater wore in the live action movie. It just seems more iconic and timeless to me. They knew enough when to update Kon's look. I wish they would do the same for Kara.

I'm also annoyed that Tony Daniel's tank top Wonder Girl design has morphed into another belly shirt. I don't think a lot of people care so much it looks trendy or fashionable as it does titilating. :/ I wish for once we could have a female hero who wasn't all about being a sex object and more about being a competent hero. The said thing is Cassie used to be that way, but isn't so much anymore. (Though I'm hoping her mini series will change that. I haven't read the first issue yet. I don't pick up my Sept. comics until the end of the month.) I don't know why she can't just be attractive and competent. I know they can do both. They've done it before.

Old September 16th, 2007   Primal Slayer is offline   #282
Primal Slayer
Geoffan

So tell me whats the difference between Supergirls outfit being outdated

and

Supermans outfit never coming into exisitance. He is a grown man wearing spandex and undies on the outside. THat was NEVER in.

Atleast Kon-El and every other hero from his future never got into the whole wear your underwear outside your pants.

But Supergirl has never been about whats trendy, shes more into her own style which Garza has tried to emphasize.

Old September 16th, 2007   Joey Wilson is offline   #283
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

So tell me whats the difference between Supergirls outfit being outdated

and

Supermans outfit never coming into exisitance. He is a grown man wearing spandex and undies on the outside. THat was NEVER in.
ddf
Primal Slayer View Post
It's the difference between, say, a dress with big shoulder pads and sparkly stuff (think the 1980s show Dynasty) and an elegant black cocktail dress like the one think Audrey Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany's in 1961.

Today, the Dynasty clothes look ridiculous, but the black dress still looks like a million bucks.

Some looks are classic and some are trendy. Classics have a long shelf life while trendy looks are great, but only for VERY limited times. If part of Supergirl's character is that she's trendy (and I think it's been proven in this thread) then she's overdue for a new look already. I actually like the idea of Supergirl being DC's Wasp-- constantly changing costumes.

Old September 19th, 2007   michealdark is offline   #284
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Ale,why are you off the book? :'(

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old September 19th, 2007   Sinyaa is offline   #285
Sinyaa
Geoffan

Ale,why are ye off the book? :'(
ddf
michealdark View Post
Since when is he off the book? No! I was looking so forward to it.

Old September 19th, 2007   michealdark is offline   #286
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Since when is he off the book? No! I was looking so forward to it.
ddf
Sinyaa View Post
Sean announced it in his thread either earlier today or last night after we all asked him why Ale only had one issue solicited with his art and the rest being fill ins. I guess Eddy Barrows(from Countdown to Adventure) is taking over on #54

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old September 19th, 2007   Sinyaa is offline   #287
Sinyaa
Geoffan

Sean announced it in his thread either earlier today or last night after we all asked him why Ale only had one issue solicited with his art and the rest being fill ins. I guess Eddy Barrows(from Countdown to Adventure) is taking over on #54
ddf
michealdark View Post
No offense to the new guy, but that stinks! I really wanted to see Ale on Teen Titans. I thought he was a perfect fit for the mood of the book. Plus I actually like his rendition of Supergirl. He's one of the few I actually like to see draw her.

Old September 20th, 2007   alegarza07 is offline   #288
alegarza07
professional

tis true i did get the boot, however...thank you all so much for the support... i did however get to do the covers for issues 50-53, so for that i'm thankful. i'm still pretty excited for 51 to come out, i think you'll all like it! as for comics as a whole, i'm kinda taking a step back... i've been working in comics for almost 12 years now. there's a lot of things i still wanna explore as an artist. so you probably won't see a whole lot of books from me. i've made a lot of great relationships, and i've had some turn pretty bad, live and learn i guess... you'll still see me though here and there... working with aspen on fathom which is a project i have some time to really take my time on... aside from that some other long term ideas in the works... thanks again! sean is an amazing writer and it really doesnt matter who's drawing it it'll be fantastic!!!!