The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 27th, 2008   therealssjlink is offline   #1025
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

Well, at least now they in death they won't hate being in the memorial hall (that is if they are really dead and if they get a statue).

Old August 27th, 2008   Chaltab is offline   #1026
Chaltab

Did Dan mandate that this issue? Please tell me Dan mandated that. I don't even LIKE those characters and think they deserved better.

Old August 28th, 2008   Lukecash is offline   #1027
Lukecash
Singing Cowboy

Again, Sean, sorry about the tone of the first question.
ddf
michealdark View Post
He's pretty forgiving guy: I once threaten to pour a beer on his head. Your tone was an honest reaction-so I hope takes it in that spirit.

Actually Sean, I gotta ask something about the Fan/Writer relationship. Michealdark obviously reacted strongly to the story. For you personally, how does this affect you mentally and as a writer?

For my take: I was shocked by the the issue. But in one way I felt that as a stand alone issue it worked well. It set up a situation, nicely paced and a twist expertly delivered.

But as a reader of the series: I felt conflicted aboutSPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Wendy and Marvin's death. It seems gratuitous but it was written well technically. We rarely saw them...they hardly interacted with the team. It's kind of like the Death of Vibe in JLA...He became a cool character in a issue, finally had potential and then killed.

It seemed to be Great issue, but in over all feel of a series...not so much.

And one last question: There is an explanation why Blue Beetles armor didn't pick any of it up?

Old August 28th, 2008   therealssjlink is offline   #1028
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

Hey, Sean, I have a very simple question to ask.

Will we be seeing Jaimie out of his Beetle costume anytime soon? I expected him to be wearing it when he wasn't on the team, but now that he's on the team I'm expecting him to take it off anytime soon (since he does in the Blue Beetle series).

Old August 28th, 2008   Icon is offline   #1029
Icon
Advanced Geoffan

Hey, Sean, I have a very simple question to ask.

Will we be seeing Jaimie out of his Beetle costume anytime soon? I expected him to be wearing it when he wasn't on the team, but now that he's on the team I'm expecting him to take it off anytime soon (since he does in the Blue Beetle series).
ddf
therealssjlink View Post
Do the Titans even know his secret identity yet? Robin would if Batman told him, but would keep it private out of professional courtesy.

Old August 28th, 2008   therealssjlink is offline   #1030
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

Well, they should by at least the end of this chapter. He knows their names and he's an official member. It's not like the situation with Terra.

Old August 28th, 2008   Sean McKeever is offline   #1031
Sean McKeever
professional

Also, Sean, I wanted to mention that looking back, I...didn't mean to word that question that strongly. Again, I love your work with this team and I'm still sticking on since everybody has their off issues or their decisions that they think are good but some fans just don't get. I'm just depressed an angry. The crux of the question stands though: Why? What purpose did it serve other than shock?

Going off of that, will we see any after-effects of this on the team in upcoming issues?
ddf
michealdark View Post
Apology accepted. Thank you.

I don't consider it an off issue. In fact, I've received a number of emails and even a phone call from folks who thought it was my best issue yet. Words like "tasteless" and "unnecessary" (not that I'm saying you used those words, MD) are highly subjective.

And as to your first question, you kinda-sorta answered it with your last question. Yes, there is an actual reason. The story isn't over yet.

Did Dan mandate that this issue? Please tell me Dan mandated that. I don't even LIKE those characters and think they deserved better.
ddf
Chaltab View Post
I may make a new rule that I won't answer any question with the word "mandate" in it. There's always this negative connotation with it that, as someone who understands the nature of this job from personal experience, I think should not exist.
He's pretty forgiving guy: I once threaten to pour a beer on his head. Your tone was an honest reaction-so I hope takes it in that spirit.

Actually Sean, I gotta ask something about the Fan/Writer relationship. Michealdark obviously reacted strongly to the story. For you personally, how does this affect you mentally and as a writer?
ddf
Lukecash View Post
Actually, I wasn't too keen on your comment, Luke. It's the sort of situation where a reader treats fictional characters like human beings, and treats the actual people involved in the creative process like non-entities. I know it's often meant in jest or at least as blowing off steam and not a literal wish, but I can't stand it. If you apologized, then that's fair, but I don't want you thinking I'm somehow cool with it.

(But, hey, at least you didn't threaten actual physical violence like someone on another board recently did.)

As for MD's comment, I understand where he's coming from. He got very emotional. And, really, part of the purpose in this issue WAS to get an emotional response. That's always a big part of what I do as a writer. It's just that I'm not always interested in getting a warm, fuzzy response or a bittersweet response. Sometimes I go for the gut, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that so long as it serves the story.

Anyway, you generally have to learn to get a thick skin. Negative comments used to get to me a lot more than they do now. Personal insults and aggressions can be hurtful and/or stressful but what can you do in this age of anonymity except shrug and move on?

And one last question: There is an explanation why Blue Beetles armor didn't pick any of it up?
ddf
Lukecash View Post
No explanation needed, IMO; it just didn't.
ddf
therealssjlink View Post
Well, not everyone knows his secret ID. I'd probably want to confer with Matt Sturges or Rachel before doing something like that (revealing his ID to everyone).

Folks, if you have questions or concerns or doubts or perceived plot holes about #62, feel free to ask them here and I will do my best to answer, but be sure to keep spoilers hidden for those who haven't read it yet. Great job of keeping it all hidden in here so far; keep it up!
Last edited by Sean McKeever; August 28th, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

Old August 28th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #1032
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Apology accepted. Thank you.

I don't consider it an off issue. In fact, I've received a number of emails and even a phone call from folks who thought it was my best issue yet. Words like "tasteless" and "unnecessary" (not that I'm saying you used those words, MD) are highly subjective.

And as to your first question, you kinda-sorta answered it with your last question. Yes, there is an actual reason. The story isn't over yet.
ddf
Sean McKeever View Post
You're welcome. And thanks for answering that. I'm still not happy (as I'm sure you can understand), but at least I have a bit more faith again and I'm a bit more interested to see where the story goes then.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old August 28th, 2008   augustusceaser is offline   #1033
augustusceaser
The Almighty Tallest

Sean it seemed that Lycus was targeting just Wendy and Marvin with the dog, are we going to find out way?
Also are we going to see more of Stephs return and Batman RIP effet on Tim in the next issues?
One more thing, when the synopsis for the upcoming arc said Lycus was the cause of Cassie "recent misfortune" how recent we talking? I mean the only bad thing that has happend to her that was not her own fault was Connors death and everything since has been by her own action, arenít they?

Thanks.

"Now now Christmas is a time to be kind to all Santas children, unless their heads are filthy with lies. Into the jingle jail with the non beleiver".
Old August 28th, 2008   Sean McKeever is offline   #1034
Sean McKeever
professional

Sean it seemed that Lycus was targeting just Wendy and Marvin with the dog, are we going to find out way?
Also are we going to see more of Stephs return and Batman RIP effet on Tim in the next issues?
One more thing, when the synopsis for the upcoming arc said Lycus was the cause of Cassie "recent misfortune" how recent we talking? I mean the only bad thing that has happend to her that was not her own fault was Connors death and everything since has been by her own action, arenít they?

Thanks.
ddf
augustusceaser View Post
1. In a sense, yes.
2. That's the plan, at least...
3. I might have worded that solicit differently. With Lycus, we're talking as recent as #62.

Old August 28th, 2008   JRM is offline   #1035
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Sean, Thank you.

Lately in other DC titles, I feel that there is not a lot of interest in how readers react (yes, I am likely dead wrong, I hope) but the fact that on a controversial issue, you have taken the time to post and in a way that it is more then just an other mess with the titans ploy is appreciated.

A general question, I've only became aware of you since you came onto the Titians - what past work would you recommend that I seek out of yours?

Jim

Old August 28th, 2008   Sean McKeever is offline   #1036
Sean McKeever
professional

Sean, Thank you.

Lately in other DC titles, I feel that there is not a lot of interest in how readers react (yes, I am likely dead wrong, I hope) but the fact that on a controversial issue, you have taken the time to post and in a way that it is more then just an other mess with the titans ploy is appreciated.

A general question, I've only became aware of you since you came onto the Titians - what past work would you recommend that I seek out of yours?

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Thanks, Jim.

Can you give me a better idea of your tastes?

Old August 28th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #1037
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Welp, since I'm feeling a little better, how about these general questions?

1) What are some of your favorite noir comics?

2) Have you considered doing a noir style issue of TT?

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old August 28th, 2008   JRM is offline   #1038
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Thanks, Jim.

Can you give me a better idea of your tastes?
ddf
Sean McKeever View Post
Nothing too Dark, but maybe with a dry sence of humour, I guess pretty ecletic. LSH for the most part was a Favorite from the early 70's, really enjoyed both halves of the Reboot. Fable, Sandman, Ennis's Hellblazer, Zot!,Grell's Warlord, Goyer&Johns JSA - these are some of my all time favorities.

Jim

Old August 28th, 2008   Argent is offline   #1039
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

Sean,

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Since you were saddled with Wendy and Marvin as part of the team when you came onto the book, was it a problem for you to try and fit them into the stories? This was the issue we finally got to see enough of them to even begin to get a handle on who they are. Was getting them eaten by Wonder Dog your solution to make the most of a couple of white elephants that you just couldn't shoe horn into where you are going with your stories so you let them go with the most impact you could think of?

That may not be expressed well, but it goes to the thinking behind what you did with Wendy and Marvin as opposed to Miss Martian in this issue.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old August 28th, 2008   augustusceaser is offline   #1040
augustusceaser
The Almighty Tallest

Sean something else I was wondering, are the somewhat appearances of the Titans Tomorrow happening just caused by Tim and Cassie not being a couple or is their something else. What I mean is the Titans of Tomorrow warned Cassie about Supergirl not really being her freind and then Cassie gets rid of her, they make it clear Rose is not apart of their future now she is gone. Miss Martian is turning white and has a evil self in her and Eddie is now Red Devil. It seems alot of the TT of Tomorrow stuff is coming to pass, it can not all be because of Tim and Cassie failed romance, is their possibly another reason?

Here is another question, who would win in a knife fight JFK of Abraham Lincoln?

"Now now Christmas is a time to be kind to all Santas children, unless their heads are filthy with lies. Into the jingle jail with the non beleiver".