The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old August 15th, 2011   JordanGLC is offline   #81
JordanGLC

Well after reading the article I'm sold!

I'll wait for all 3 films in 1 package.

You seem to have knowledge of these Japanese films, is Frankenstein Conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas on blu-ray?

All I seem to find are the Japanese region releases.
ddf
BrandonFordDodds View Post
No. Currently the kaiju selection for blu-ray in the U.S. is pretty slim. Classic Media put out Gojira on blu-ray almost two years ago, but frankly their DVD release is better, so I didn't bother mentioning it here. Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters put out Death Kappa on blu-ray last year. I've yet to see that film, but from what I've heard it's not too good. I'll end up getting it eventually just to have it. That brings us to these Gamera films.

There are some things to look forward to on the horizon. Media Blasters has acquired the U.S. rights to Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. Megalon! and will be releasing both this fall/winter! You can read about it here. Media Blasters btw is the company that has the rights to Frankenstein Conquers the World, so maybe they'll put it out on blu-ray someday.

Besides the Gamera trilogy, Mill Creek also acquired the excellent Daimajin films, and they will supposedly be releasing them on bu-ray in 2012.

Beyond that, with the Legendary Godzilla movie coming, I look forward to a lot more getting released on blu-ray in the future.

Old August 15th, 2011   JordanGLC is offline   #82
JordanGLC

So...what's up with Legendary's Godzilla? It seems to have been in the works for ages, yet nothing seems to have been done on it. IMDB is empty except for a placeholder. No casting news, no production photos, nothing.

In this age, that's unheard of unless nothing is happening. Even then, we usually get regular reports on the nothingness.

What's the problem, Matthew Broderick holding out for more money???
ddf
achilles140 View Post
There's a different thread in this forum about the Legendary film that can be found here.

The last bit of info about the film was that David Goyer would write the script.

Old August 23rd, 2011   JordanGLC is offline   #83
JordanGLC

Currently the kaiju selection for blu-ray in the U.S. is pretty slim. Classic Media put out Gojira on blu-ray almost two years ago, but frankly their DVD release is better, so I didn't bother mentioning it here.
ddf
JordanGLC View Post
Every so often the universe realigns just enough to make things right. From the Facebook page of The CRITERION COLLECTION:

This will be epic.

Old September 28th, 2011   JordanGLC is offline   #84
JordanGLC

I forgot to mention that yesterday was the release of Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera trilogy on blu-ray:

For those that already bought the first two films when they came ot as a double feature last year, you can buy the third film seperately:

Old October 26th, 2011   JordanGLC is offline   #85
JordanGLC

Yesterday was the "official" release date for Media Blasters' DVD and Blu-Ray for the 1968 Toho film Destroy All Monsters:

Tracking it down at the time I'm writing this is apparently hit and miss, but there are some online places that have it, and certainly the availability will get better in the days ahead. According to MB the blu-ray discs didn't ship to retailers until this past Monday, so those obviously didn't make yesterday's release date.

SciFi Japan has an article regarding this release. Click here to read it.

Old January 24th, 2012   JordanGLC is offline   #86
JordanGLC

Today is the day that Criterion Collection's release of Godzilla on blu ray and DVD hits the shelves:

This one is a long time coming. Many of you probably know that Criterion had a release of this on laserdisc in the works many years ago. That of course didn't happen. With Classic Media owning the US home video rights to this film, I never thought I'd see this day. But here it is.

You can find reviews of this release all over the internet, but c'mon. It's freaking Criterion Collection! Here's a great interview with Curtis Tsui of Criterion about this release. BTW, the package art is by Bill Sienkiewicz.

Old January 25th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #87
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I'm still not sold a 55 + year old film is going to look any better on Blu. That and how expensive Criterions usually are will probably prevent me from getting this.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 20th, 2012   Elias is offline   #88
Elias
Master Geoffan

Default Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim

From TOTAL FILM:
Guillermo del Toro talks Pacific Rim
Exclusive: “It’s the best experience I’ve had in Hollywood”

From CBM:
SPOILERS!

Old June 20th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #89
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Sounds like it might be really good. Del Toro is a great film maker and it has a good premise.

Worth a look for sure.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old August 25th, 2012   Elias is offline   #90
Elias
Master Geoffan

WHERE ARE ULTRAMAN AND GODZILLA? (3): Miniature sets offer a new take on reality

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_ja...AJ201208240032

Toho says it has no plans to resurrect monster films.
ddf

Old September 18th, 2012   JordanGLC is offline   #91
JordanGLC

Today is the release date of Mill Creek's Daimajin Trilogy on bluray:

You can read about it here.

Also, I neglected to mention the release of Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock's release of Godzilla vs. Megalon last month:

Released many times under public domain using crappy washed out 16mm source materials, this is the first time this film has gotten a legitimate Region 1 DVD licensed from Toho using their elements.

Old September 19th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #92
Amentep

I thought the Godzilla vs Megalon DVD was pretty good. First time I'd seen it since I was a kid, but it looked pretty good (better than glimpses I'd gotten over the years of "public domain" versions).

Old September 23rd, 2012   Elias is offline   #93
Elias
Master Geoffan

SciFi JAPAN TV!!!
SciFi Japan TV #01 Ultraman Max Producer

SciFi Japan TV #02 Tokusatsu Museum

SciFi Japan TV #03 The Man Who Became Godzilla

SciFi Japan TV Vlog #01 Meeting Godzilla

Old February 20th, 2013   Elias is offline   #94
Elias
Master Geoffan

Classic Hollywood: 80th birthday toast to 'King Kong'
The RKO classic, with the memorable scene atop the Empire State Building, gets a special screening March 24 at the Pomona Fox.

Old February 20th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #95
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I thought the Godzilla vs Megalon DVD was pretty good. First time I'd seen it since I was a kid, but it looked pretty good (better than glimpses I'd gotten over the years of "public domain" versions).
ddf
Amentep View Post
Is the Jet Jaquar song in Dolby?

"HE JOCK IT MADE OF STEEL
EATS SUSHI FROM A PAIL
JET JAGUAR ? JET JAGUAR !
HE MOTHER NEVER REALLY LOVE HIM
HE CRIMEFIGHTING COVERS UP A BASIC INSECURITY
HE DICKEY COVERS UP AN ADDAMS APPLE THE SIZE OF A TOYOTA
HE BASICALLY GOOD-HEARTED BUT HE'D LIKE TO SMASH THAT KID AGAINST A ROCK

KNOCK ! KNOCK ! KNOCK !
WHO'S THERE ?
HIS HEAD LOOKS LIKE JACK NICHOLSON
DON'T SMILE LIKE THAT, IT WILL STAY THAT WAY
YAHMMMAAHOAAHOAAAUGH !

DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN"

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old February 20th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #96
Amentep

That's...kinda scary.