The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old February 7th, 2007   Eric Moreno is offline   #1
Eric Moreno
Super Dope Copy Editor

Default Comic book buyers remorse

So, last year I began this quest to get all the Doom Patrol, JLA, JSA, TT and LSH trades for my own personal library. Well, for the most part, I accomplished this task.

There was always one book out there that eluded me ... the long out of print second volume of the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI series (The Secret Gospel of Maxwell Lord) ... well, I found a copy on Amazon that a private owner was selling and paid $40 for it. I don't know, for some reason I have the buyers remorse now.

I don't know if it is because I spent $40 plus shipping for a comic or that my quest is officially over. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Read my new column Inside the Comic Writers Studio, which features some of the best comic writers around and appears weekly here at ComicBloc.com!
Old February 7th, 2007   vh4ever is offline   #2
vh4ever*
DOOM!

...probably a bit of both..($40????)....my wife gives me grief over the money I spend,( and I have the $$$ and means,) as I have a list that IS dwindling...I finished the volume 1's of Amazing, Web Of, Spiderman, and Spectacular last year, and am interested now in purchasing the entirety of the Legion and Legionnaires series that ended with the 'Damned' storyline, I don't do e-Bay much anymore which is a good way to get started and then fill in holes in a run, I just buy 12 issue runs now and when I have the time, I read them, it's finding the effing time that's an issue....

buyer's remorse...I purchased the 'New X-Men Omnibus' by Grant Morrison, and it's awful, God-awful, thought I'd like it, and I just don't...only paid $60 for it, and while it'll hurt someone, (it's that heavy,), it's destiny is as a paperweight on my book shelf....oh well....

trying to decide which hand to chop off come this fall when Diamond Dave returns....
Old February 7th, 2007   fallentaco is offline   #3
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

I did when i bought Lost Girls, i only paid like $45 for the thing, but when i read it i was like..."ok, well this will sit on a shelf for a while"...and it has

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.-Joe Q
Old February 7th, 2007   Lord Christoph is offline   #4
Lord Christoph*
Citizen

I've been on an Essential TPB bings for a few months and there have been a few volumes that I was not pleased with after hearing a lot of hype. But, in the end, I'm only out $17. The other times I get remorse is when I drop money on a hardcover volume that I just HAD TO HAVE at the store, then get it home and berate myself for not waiting for it to come in softcover. I also do this on action figures, though I'm not buying nearly as many as I used to.

Old February 7th, 2007   vh4ever is offline   #5
vh4ever*
DOOM!

I've been on an Essential TPB bings for a few months and there have been a few volumes that I was not pleased with after hearing a lot of hype. But, in the end, I'm only out $17. The other times I get remorse is when I drop money on a hardcover volume that I just HAD TO HAVE at the store, then get it home and berate myself for not waiting for it to come in softcover. I also do this on action figures, though I'm not buying nearly as many as I used to.
ddf
Lord Christoph View Post
I think about the $100 I plunked down for the Crisis hardcover back in 1998, there'll never be another one...yeah sure...my wife laughs at me even today...'this...$100...this one...$100'....bwaaahhaaahaa..pisses me off to no end...

trying to decide which hand to chop off come this fall when Diamond Dave returns....
Old February 7th, 2007   Matches is offline   #6
Matches
stepping aside

Yeah, every now and then. I've never paid a premium price for a book like that, but every now and again I catch myself ordering books out of habit or on a whim. I order several months in advance, so it's not uncommon for me to open the box a few months later and think "wait... I paid for this?"

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 7th, 2007   Aquarius is offline   #7
Aquarius
Neo Geoffan

Didn't they re-release this volume just last year? I thought that I saw it at my local shop shortly after Max was killed.

Brian
Old February 7th, 2007   Matt Olsen is offline   #8
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

There was always one book out there that eluded me ... the long out of print second volume of the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI series (The Secret Gospel of Maxwell Lord) ... well, I found a copy on Amazon that a private owner was selling and paid $40 for it. I don't know, for some reason I have the buyers remorse now.
ddf
Eric Moreno View Post
$40 isn't really that bad for a really hard-to-find TPB in the grand scheme of things. The only question that matters is whether it was worth it to you or not.

I do find that some of the fun of buying is in the hunt, so it can be a letdown to just have the thing and be done looking.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old February 7th, 2007   superfriend is offline   #9
superfriend
laughs at comics

buyer's remorse...I purchased the 'New X-Men Omnibus' by Grant Morrison, and it's awful, God-awful, thought I'd like it, and I just don't...only paid $60 for it, and while it'll hurt someone, (it's that heavy,), it's destiny is as a paperweight on my book shelf....oh well....
ddf
vh4ever View Post
I'll give you $30 for that paperweight.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old February 7th, 2007   Astro@work is offline   #10
Astro@work
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I've been on a quest to collect the original All-Star Comics run. My goal is to get the complete golden age JSA run before I'm dead. (Buying 2-3 issues a year).

I've found several issues for just slightly over $100, but paid $350 for the ish that had the one Superman/Batman appearance. I did have remorse after that big expenditure, as I started thinking of all the stuff $350 could have bought me besides one issue of a comic. Nevertheless, it is the crown jewel in my collection.

I financed the Absolute Crisis Hardcover with a gift certificate I got for my birthday, as well as the Marvel Encyclopedia hardcover, so those two were guilt free!

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old February 7th, 2007   Matt Olsen is offline   #11
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

I'll give you $30 for that paperweight.
ddf
superfriend View Post
Heh. Yeah, that's the thing. If you paid a significant price for something because it was hard for you to find, chances are someone else will, too.

If you pay a lot for something you don't enjoy but is easy to find, sell it and call it a rental.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old February 7th, 2007   Eric Moreno is offline   #12
Eric Moreno
Super Dope Copy Editor

Didn't they re-release this volume just last year? I thought that I saw it at my local shop shortly after Max was killed.
ddf
Aquarius View Post
I wish ... that would have saved me some money.

Read my new column Inside the Comic Writers Studio, which features some of the best comic writers around and appears weekly here at ComicBloc.com!
Old February 7th, 2007   jonnjonz is offline   #13
jonnjonz
persona non grata

I wish ... that would have saved me some money.
ddf
Eric Moreno View Post
Not to rain more on your parade, but while DC hasn't re-released this one, I find it very hard to believe that they won't, and sometime soon.

I suppose the only reason that DC might NOT release it, is that the story line really makes it hard to reconcile in full with Max as depicted in Countdown To Infinite Crisis, and DC might not want something so glaringly contrary out there.**

** I say this not because I didn't enjoy Countdown - I did. I say it because, as with most of the JLI run that featured Max, we see his thought bubbles, and we know that doesn't jive with the way he was written in Coundown to IC.

Old February 7th, 2007   TheRay is offline   #14
TheRay
Supreme Geoffan

So, last year I began this quest to get all the Doom Patrol, JLA, JSA, TT and LSH trades for my own personal library. Well, for the most part, I accomplished this task.

I don't know if it is because I spent $40 plus shipping for a comic or that my quest is officially over. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
ddf
Eric Moreno View Post
I've wanted that one for a long time! But, I don't know if I want it bad enough to pay that much...

http://www.facebook.com/daniel.penland
Xbox Live ID: TrumpetDan
Playstation Network ID: TheRay3
Steam: TrumpetDan
Old February 7th, 2007   Matches is offline   #15
Matches
stepping aside

Not to rain more on your parade, but while DC hasn't re-released this one, I find it very hard to believe that they won't, and sometime soon.

I suppose the only reason that DC might NOT release it, is that the story line really makes it hard to reconcile in full with Max as depicted in Countdown To Infinite Crisis, and DC might not want something so glaringly contrary out there.**
ddf
jonnjonz View Post
At one point DC planned to re-issue Secret Gospel of Max Lord, but apparently sales on the re-release of the first JLI volume ("A New Beginning") were lackluster. In light of that, I doubt they're looking to re-release Secret Gospel anytime soon.

Which is a shame. IMO DC should reprint all the JLI stuff. I'd buy tpbs even though I have the originals.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 7th, 2007   Old School is offline   #16
Old School
persona non grata

40 does kinda sound like alot buddy.

but at least you reached your goals