The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 12th, 2006   Marcus Mebes is offline   #1
Marcus Mebes
Colorist to the Stars!

Default Some nifty stuff (Titans-related) from Wizard World Texas

Well folks, I'm still recovering from my long weekend out in Arlington. I was a bouncer, line-guard, and line-capper, assigned to George Pérez and Michael Turner. I'm physically exhausted, but I had a blast!

Of course, being a Titans fan, I was ever on the lookout (when I had time to be a guest, not a staffer) for Titans materials. I found next-to-none, but I had some created! At the bottom of this thread you'll find some photos of the great swag I got.

If I may, I'd love to share a story from among the many things that I was involved in...

Just today, I was assigned to be the line capper for Michael Turner, and boy oh boy was it interesting! A line capper is the person who stands at the end with a sign informing people that the line cannot accept any more people. So, naturally, we get all kinds: the Sob-Story (I drove all the way from Mexico... a 16 hour drive) to the nasties (How dare you?? I have been waiting in the other line for hours, and now you tell me I waited in the wrong line??) to the pitiful (C'mon dude... I'll take you to Red Lobster. What kind of champagne do you like?) to the downright bribery (I'll pay you $100 if you let me in line). And honestly, it's worth it. Many folks have their Turner-autographed comics brought to the CGC where they're graded, and then they can turn them around and sell 'em for like $400.

So anyway, I'm being begged and pleaded with, bribed and threatened, and all to no avail. I'm a big guy, and when I want to I can make my muscles stand out even more. So I just calmly told them all "Sorry, but no can do. Mr. Turner is in lots of pain, and we have to put a cap on this. He must leave."

Now, here's where it gets interesting. I let 5 people cut in the line during the course of the wait, and another 5 when we got to Turner's table. For various reasons, the first five got let in because they all did something that I found admirable. They fought me. They stood their ground, they didn't just whine and miserably shuffle off. They earned my respect, so I recognized their sincerity and let them in line.

At Turner's table, his rep told me I could let a few more in, so I picked some people whose stories I knew (one honestly DID drive from Mexico) and let them in.

The looks of gratitude on their faces, the kind words, the handshakes... it makes it all worth it. I loved working there specifically because one guy stopped me afterward and told me this: "Dude, you made my day. Thank you!" Oh, and Mike Turner was kind and gracious enough--despite being in excruciating agony--to smile, shake my hand, and personally autograph two comics for me. I will NOT be reselling those.

I actually had to stand at the table after he signed the comics and tell several people "No!" continually, because they wouldn't leave him alone. I felt bad about it, because if I really had looked forward to seeing him, I'd be just as adamant, but I will also tell you that many MANY people were understanding, and actually thanked me for telling them why we had to cap the line. Those people stand out in my mind as being truly kind people themselves. If you read this, and are among them, thank you!

----

On the other hand, I got to hang out with George Pérez a lot, and he insisted that my supervisor take a photo of me with him. And Bombshell, from Crimson Plague, was there (the model for the character) and she got a picture with me too. She got her husband to take it (yikes!). Plus, for some reason, soooo many people had to get a photo of me in my Wizard Staff shirt holding my "I'm soooo last in line" sign. I lost count of all the times I smiled with someone holding the rabbit ears behind my head. It was all good fun.

Let me tell you HOW NICE George is: while people were waiting in line to get in, he actually walked outside in the cold weather, autographing stuff for people as they waited to get into the convention. He truly is "Gentleman George".

Anyway, here are a few selected pictures of the treasures I got this weekend. Not ALL of it, but certainly among some of the best!
First: here's a photo of the two comics that Michael Turner signed for me:

Here's a drawing of Risk that George did for me. He drew this and the next in his hotel room, another example of his overwhelming kindness:

Here's a drawing of Celsius that he drew for Colin Jeffree of New Zealand. I gotta FedEx it to him now!

And lastly, here's a goofy drawing of Aqualad and Starfire that the current inker of "52" , Drew Geraci, did:

1John 3:7-22. I wish I was better at it!!! :)
Production Editor of PACESETTER: The George Pérez Magazine and THE BAUM BUGLE: A Journal of Oz.
Old November 12th, 2006   The Krystal Method is offline   #2
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

hahaha, it's people like you that I create distractions against and get into the line anyway

cool that you had a good time, tho!

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old November 12th, 2006   Lady Timedramon is offline   #3
Lady Timedramon
Gar Logan's #1 Fangirl

I should have begged you to get me some pics of Gar...

I live in Dallas, but sadly I could not get there ;_;

Maybe next year...

Old November 12th, 2006   Saturn Girl is offline   #4
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Cool stories, nifty artwork - thanks for sharing with us!

I am the one who knocks.
Old November 12th, 2006   aozoract is offline   #5
aozoract
Neo Geoffan

I heard Michael Turner's cancer returned. Poor guy. He's a real trooper for making it out to Texas.

A: i wanna know what it's like on the insiiiiiide of love
L: its squishy
L: and yellow
L: not very pleasant to step in
Old November 15th, 2006   Icon is offline   #6
Icon
Advanced Geoffan

Sounds like a tough gig! You earned those pics, and boy howdy are they gorgeous! LOVE the Risk one in particular, and I'm not even a big fan of Risk...

Someday he'll come to the UK for a convention and by hook or crook there'll be a Robin sketch to add to my collection by the end of it!!

Old November 15th, 2006   Marcus Mebes is offline   #7
Marcus Mebes
Colorist to the Stars!

Wait 'til I color 'em!

Production Editor of PACESETTER: The George Pérez Magazine and THE BAUM BUGLE: A Journal of Oz.
Old November 15th, 2006   Eric Sellers is offline   #8
Eric Sellers
Supporters

Awesome Sketches, Marcus.

Thanks for sharing!

George is the Man!

Old November 15th, 2006   Marcus Mebes is offline   #9
Marcus Mebes
Colorist to the Stars!

Thanks Eric! You have a great collection of Perez art... get anything new recently?

Old November 16th, 2006   DarkNight1939 is offline   #10
DarkNight1939
give 'em hell, kid.

lucky guy, lucky guy, glad you had a good time =]

It's better to live one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb.
Old November 16th, 2006   Eric Sellers is offline   #11
Eric Sellers
Supporters

Thanks Eric! You have a great collection of Perez art... get anything new recently?
ddf
Marcus Mebes View Post

I was really busy at work this year and only made it to one con(Pittsburgh) where Gentleman George Perez was a guest.
I did get a awesome Jericho Sketch