The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 9th, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #113
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

My understanding is that Tom Welling has repeatedly said he WON'T play Superman....

It seems it not a matter of offering, he doesn't want to do it.

Old August 19th, 2008   Eric Q is offline   #114
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Where is Superman headed?

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old August 19th, 2008   chrisbenes is offline   #115
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Although I would be open to a Millar version of Superman, I don't think that it really needed a entire re-vamp.

I like that Singer threw films 3 and 4 away like they never happened, but do we really need to see a re-vamp over what the 1st 2 movies were?

They were great!!! They laid down a great foundation IMO. I liked Superman Returns. Granted it had somw flaws but do I really need to see a re-vamp with 45 min dedicated to the retelling of how Superman comes to Earth. Not really.

Now I think a short flashback of Jor-El would be cool showing a little on his sturggles.

Basically if they want to start over I don't think it can be with Singer. If they stay with Singer I would want to see him build on the last movie.

Old August 19th, 2008   Eric Q is offline   #116
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

They were great!!! They laid down a great foundation IMO. I liked Superman Returns. Granted it had somw flaws but do I really need to see a re-vamp with 45 min dedicated to the retelling of how Superman comes to Earth. Not really.

Now I think a short flashback of Jor-El would be cool showing a little on his sturggles.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
They could go with an All Star approach and just tell the condensed version of him coming to Earth. But what the movies and cartoons have been missing is the moments leading up to him being Superman. I think that would be interesting to focus on.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old August 19th, 2008   chrisbenes is offline   #117
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

They could go with an All Star approach and just tell the condensed version of him coming to Earth. But what the movies and cartoons have been missing is the moments leading up to him being Superman. I think that would be interesting to focus on.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
That would be cool...We got a taste in the original Superman but nothing more.

Now if they want to go and make an entire move called Superman Origin...I'm all for that. To me that wouldn't be regressing...It's just telling the entire story of Krypton and Smallville.

Old August 19th, 2008   Eric Q is offline   #118
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

You can explore
what he did during his travels
why he decided to go public
why he doesn't wear a mask
why he decided to stay at Metropolis

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Old August 19th, 2008   jafabian is offline   #119
jafabian
Cap who?

I was really hoping to see Anthony Hopkins as Jor-El, however seeing Brando again was very, very cool.

Old August 19th, 2008   Eric Q is offline   #120
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

I was really hoping to see Anthony Hopkins as Jor-El, however seeing Brando again was very, very cool.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Nothing against Anthony Hopkins or Marlo Brando, they're great actors. But shouldn't they cast an actor that's closer to being his father and not his grandfather.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Old August 19th, 2008   Marky is offline   #121
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Reboot please Warners

Returns'll work for me as an end to Donner's vision, giving closure of a sort (son becomes the fathr etc) to that story.

The public interest (by that I mean non comics fans) will be far greater I think in an intersting bold new franchise rather than a Singer/Routh sequel.

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!
Old August 20th, 2008   mego joe is offline   #122
mego joe
Geoffan

Reboot please Warners

Returns'll work for me as an end to Donner's vision, giving closure of a sort (son becomes the fathr etc) to that story.

The public interest (by that I mean non comics fans) will be far greater I think in an intersting bold new franchise rather than a Singer/Routh sequel.
ddf
Marky View Post

Yep, yep, yep!

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old August 22nd, 2008   Elias is offline   #123
Elias
Master Geoffan

Reboot please Warners

ddf
Marky View Post
From Super Hero Hype: Warner Bros. Confirms Superman Reboot

Just a few days after this article was posted, Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov has told The Wall Street Journal that the studio is going to be reintroducing Superman. We assume this will be similar to how Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of Ang Lee's Hulk. Here is what the article says:

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."
ddf

Old August 22nd, 2008   Infernorhythm is offline   #124
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

No! Crap! Superman Returns, while flawed, was still a great picture. I loved it and I want to see Routh continue to play Superman. He was the best, hands down.

Grr. And I get the feeling I'm going to be the only guy upset about this.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old August 22nd, 2008   Augustine is offline   #125
Augustine
We win. My friend.

I'm indifferent to it myself.

I had mixed thoughts about the movie, I liked aspects of it but I didn't think it was great since Luthors plot was far too hokey in this day and age.

They should get Routh back, he was superb as could be.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #126
jafabian
Cap who?

No! Crap! Superman Returns, while flawed, was still a great picture. I loved it and I want to see Routh continue to play Superman. He was the best, hands down.

Grr. And I get the feeling I'm going to be the only guy upset about this.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
I'm with you on this. This is no time for a reboot. Superman Returns was a good movie. Simply make a better one and move on. Paramount did the same with Star Trek. After the first movie they made a better one. And WB made a huge pitch towards Singer to get him to leave the X-franchise to helm theirs. Just let him do his job.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Augustine is offline   #127
Augustine
We win. My friend.

But isn't that the problem, he did his job and it wasn't good enough. The movie underperformed and did not get the reaction from people or the box office it wanted.

Not to say he's solely to blame for anything, WB has dropped the ball on many things over the years. Promotion for one minus TDK.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #128
jafabian
Cap who?

But isn't that the problem, he did his job and it wasn't good enough. The movie underperformed and did not get the reaction from people or the box office it wanted.

Not to say he's solely to blame for anything, WB has dropped the ball on many things over the years. Promotion for one minus TDK.
ddf
Augustine View Post
Well, as I stated earlier the movie wasn't going to make a profit because WB was throwing money around right and left and getting nothing as a result. That's not Singer's fault. Nicholas Cage made $20 mil for nothing. Not bad.

Singer was trying to move the franchise along following two pedestrian films in Superman III and IV. I think he did a very good of it too. The first film had two priorities IMO: clean up after the previous two and reintroduce the franchise to the public. Now that he has your attention its time to go for the jugular and if they trust Singer in the job they pay him for, he'll do just that. His track record speaks for itself.