The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 19th, 2006   Raven Lunatic is offline   #1
Raven Lunatic
Geoffan

Default Does Cyborg's Origin need an Upgrade?

Here's the deal:

Smart, athlete son of ultra-scientists visits their lab just as they test out a device for probing dimensions. He steps into the room in time to see a protoplasmic blob from another dimension consuming his mother before it turns on him. His father manages to reverse the process, sends the creature back--which conveniently blows the device to smithereens--and saves Victor's life by replacing parts of his shattered body with cybernetics being developed for the military.

The End.

Except...
Marv Wolfman is on record as saying he now considers Cyborg's origin the weakest of the bunch. He feels the blob angle a bit silly (which is why it never showed up again) and science fiction-y, especially for a character with such an urban background as Vic's.

When Victor was introduced as a guest character to Smallville, his "accident" was a car crash with his family--he was the only survivor--and became a secret human guinea pig for cybernetic researchers (he was "officially" dead). Marv had no problem with the change.

With the fallout of Infinite Crisis, and the New Earth's potential for origin tweaks, I'm wondering if Victor's Cause of Accident has been changed...or if it needs to.

Personally, I've never had any problem with the blob origin. I considered it a combination of the moral of Frankenstein (As powerful as Science is, there are things mankind was not meant to mess with--and the Scientist isn't always the one who pays the price) with a Mobey Dick-like antagonist (a great white whale appears out of the unknowable, unpredictable depths and disappears again; neither good nor evil, it just exists).

I also liked it because all too often, if a scientist in the DCU puts his/her mind to something they succeed, often with a minimum of side effects: all the x-factors are accounted for.

But of course, I'm not the only fan out there. Any other thoughts?

"The Titans re-formed four years ago. But the time they spent apart erased who they used to be. They were influenced by outside forces." ~Cyborg 2.0
Old August 19th, 2006   diablo is offline   #2
diablo
Geoffan

I have no problem with Vic's origin story as it stands. However, should anyone deem to change it and eliminate the proto-blob thing, I still think the origin should involve an accident caused by Dr. Silas Stone that takes his wife's life as well as injuring son Victor. That, in a nutshell, is the origin IMHO.

Old August 19th, 2006   Saturn Girl is offline   #3
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

I don't see any problems with Vic's origin - I just wish we'd see it touched on more often. Especially with regards to Vic's thoughts about pursuing a scientific career like his father.

Of all the current Titans, Vic's personal life is touched on the least. There was quite a bit in the early years of NTT - his strained relationship with his father, reuniting with ex-girlfriend Marcy Ross, working with disabled kids, romancing the Sarahs. But other than having his body trashed and rebuilt numerous times, not a lot of consequence has happened to Vic in the last few decades. I sure wouldn't mind a Cyborg mini-series that would show more of the human side of Vic Stone.

I am the one who knocks.
Old August 19th, 2006   SamIAm is offline   #4
SamIAm
Geoffan

I've also got no problem with Vic's origin story and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of changing/upgrading origin stories, I find that sometimes they can just get more confusing like with Hawkman or Donna Troy.

although Hawkmans backstory was fixed rather well in my opinion.

Old August 19th, 2006   retro_takeout is offline   #5
retro_takeout
Geoffan

I'm with everybody else: keep Vic's story the way it is. I don't want any more updated orgins!

And yeah, Vic's personal life needs a little more work though. 'Course, Geoff did say that coming up was some girl who's got a crush on him. Never said if she was a Titan or not, and she may not even be a teenager...we'll see.

-Sara

Old August 19th, 2006   Unkown is offline   #6
Unkown
Neo Geoffan

Bring back the blob! Maybe there's an entire race of those blobs, that try to DESTROY MANKIND!

Old August 19th, 2006   phoenix_dragon is offline   #7
phoenix_dragon*
Horseman Incognito

I have no issues with it.

"I'm often into dismembering things with random saws of fun." Guy Fieri
Old August 19th, 2006   Cousin Cory Springhorn is offline   #8
Cousin Cory Springhorn
Advanced Geoffan

Bring back the blob! Maybe there's an entire race of those blobs, that try to DESTROY MANKIND!
ddf
Unkown
LOL- 1980, when Cyborg was created, was probably the last time Marv Wolfman or anyone else could have gotten away with introducing and dispatching the blob in a two-page flashback. Today, we'd have to have a four-issue arc about the blob's history, motivations, and favorite breakfast cereal before we could move along with the rest of the story. It's hard to believe that in over 25 years, we've never gotten any more out of that blob. I would have liked for it to get involved in the Rann-Thanagar War!

Old August 19th, 2006   holo2 is offline   #9
holo2
Advanced Geoffan

The blob could have been a shape shifter. Get some Durlans in the post IC DC!

"You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"
Old August 19th, 2006   Old School is offline   #10
Old School
persona non grata

nah, it was a great origin story for him.. no need to change it or even tweak it.

keep it as is.

Old August 20th, 2006   asmith16 is offline   #11
asmith16

Here's the deal:

Smart, athlete son of ultra-scientists visits their lab just as they test out a device for probing dimensions. He steps into the room in time to see a protoplasmic blob from another dimension consuming his mother before it turns on him. His father manages to reverse the process, sends the creature back--which conveniently blows the device to smithereens--and saves Victor's life by replacing parts of his shattered body with cybernetics being developed for the military.

The End.

Except...
Marv Wolfman is on record as saying he now considers Cyborg's origin the weakest of the bunch. He feels the blob angle a bit silly (which is why it never showed up again) and science fiction-y, especially for a character with such an urban background as Vic's.

When Victor was introduced as a guest character to Smallville, his "accident" was a car crash with his family--he was the only survivor--and became a secret human guinea pig for cybernetic researchers (he was "officially" dead). Marv had no problem with the change.

With the fallout of Infinite Crisis, and the New Earth's potential for origin tweaks, I'm wondering if Victor's Cause of Accident has been changed...or if it needs to.

Personally, I've never had any problem with the blob origin. I considered it a combination of the moral of Frankenstein (As powerful as Science is, there are things mankind was not meant to mess with--and the Scientist isn't always the one who pays the price) with a Mobey Dick-like antagonist (a great white whale appears out of the unknowable, unpredictable depths and disappears again; neither good nor evil, it just exists).

I also liked it because all too often, if a scientist in the DCU puts his/her mind to something they succeed, often with a minimum of side effects: all the x-factors are accounted for.

But of course, I'm not the only fan out there. Any other thoughts?
ddf
Raven Lunatic

If they change the blob story they will have to change part of the New Teen Titans origin. If I'm not mistaken the blob appeared in DC Comics Presents #26 which was the first appearance of the New Teen Titans.

Old August 20th, 2006   Old School is offline   #12
Old School
persona non grata

If they change the blob story they will have to change part of the New Teen Titans origin. If I'm not mistaken the blob appeared in DC Comics Presents #26 which was the first appearance of the New Teen Titans.
ddf
asmith16
you are correct.

and it was reconfirmed in tales of the new teen titans #1

Old August 20th, 2006   michealdark is offline   #13
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I don't think Vic's origin needs to be changed at all

Old August 20th, 2006   chasm is offline   #14
chasm
Master Geoffan

I never had a problem with the origin. In fact, I wondered why they never brought back the blob creature invading our dimension & using Victor's mother as a corrupted leader. There would have been some nice drama there.

And shouldn't a cybernetic being have a science fiction origin?

Old August 20th, 2006   Old School is offline   #15
Old School
persona non grata

If anything bring back vics best friend RON. they never did find his body.....