The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old August 10th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #97
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Probably worth noting that JSA hasn't presented Black Adam's or Atom Smasher's actions as "kewl". There have been consequences for both of them as a result, and both of them have been shown to be, at times, unhappy.
ddf
Matches

It's not about if they were portrayed as cool (and thank you for saying "presented"). It's about whether that scvene was graphically violent.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old August 10th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #98
jafabian

Ollie Queen had no body..... He was literally ashes.
ddf
KevinTBrown
Ollie can kiss my ash on that one!!!!

Old August 10th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #99
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

How's that showing blood and gore?
ddf
John Hays

AGAIN, it's about escalating forms of graphic violence. Cauysing a pregnant woman to miscarry, whether or not there was blood and guts, is pretty extreme.

Old August 10th, 2006   Matches is offline   #100
Matches
stepping aside

It's not about if they were portrayed as cool (and thank you for saying "presented"). It's about whether that scvene was graphically violent.
ddf
TJLamb0518
Eh - I'd have to pull out my trade to refresh my memory, but it didn't strike me as particularly violent. To some extent ALL superhero comics (or at least most of them) are violent - it's a genre about people who beat each other up. I'd say Deathstroke shooting Impulse in the knee was more violent than "Blitz".

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old August 10th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #101
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I don't really recall anything graphic or sensationalistic about that one. Marvel had Sue Richards miscarry 20 years ago.
ddf
Matches

Yes, and IIRC it was mostly off panel. Most of the issue involved Reed Richards fighting and trying to convice Otto Octavius to help her.

Old August 10th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #102
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Eh - I'd have to pull out my trade to refresh my memory, but it didn't strike me as particularly violent. To some extent ALL superhero comics (or at least most of them) are violent - it's a genre about people who beat each other up. I'd say Deathstroke shooting Impulse in the knee was more violent than "Blitz".
ddf
Matches

Thank you. Forgot all about that one.

Old August 10th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #103
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

AGAIN, it's about escalating forms of graphic violence. Cauysing a pregnant woman to miscarry, whether or not there was blood and guts, is pretty extreme.
ddf
TJLamb0518
once again...marvel did it 20 years ago....with the fantastic four their icons no less.

and as I said. the flash story was fixed with the rogue war which was probably part of the greater plan

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old August 10th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #104
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Pantha is a 3rd or probably 4th string character who hasn't even been seen in a while.
ddf
Chris D.

Boy, she must've gotten a LOT more popular since I stopped with DC.......

Old August 10th, 2006   Augustine is offline   #105
Augustine
We win. My friend.

The violence in comic's that have been mentioned so far has been far more realistic than it has been depicted in the past. How many times do we see people get hit by punches, energy beams or whatnot only to be knocked down for a moment and yet other times those same punches, beams etc destroy cars, walls or you name it.

Sure you can say they were controlling how hard or lethal the attacks were but when your two people trying to kill each other your not often holding back are you.

To me it's a welcome change to see things being taken more realistic as it's a sign that comic's are growing up and maturing and that has been needed. One of the faults of comic's is that at times it seems no matter the threat nothing really happens, Geoff has been but one person that has shown that isn't necessary the case anymore and that really does help keep things interesting.

You certainly worry and care more about the people because things may happen....and if they happen it could be more than a mere slap.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old August 10th, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #106
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

ddf
TJLamb0518

well I wanted to be nice.....lol

Old August 10th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #107
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

ddf
TJLamb0518
I'd say she definitely jumped ahead on the heirarchy

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old August 10th, 2006   Matches is offline   #108
Matches
stepping aside

TJ, I see the point you're making, and I definitely agree that a cycle of "can you top this?" usually ends badly. I'm just not seeing a trend toward that on Geoff's part - he's written some violent comics, to be sure, but he's also written lots of stuff that's more tame. For every "Deathstroke shoots Impulse" scene, there's a TT #7 "Day in the Life" issue.

IC as a whole was a pretty violent book, I would certainly concede. But we're still in a spot where the violence is integral to the plot and not tacked on. There are a few places (I mentioned Countdown earlier in the thread) where I think some implied violence might have been a better choice, but it's not a Garth Ennis comic or anything.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old August 10th, 2006   Atom is offline   #109
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

ddf
Matches
I guess it's the "shock value quotient" in this sort of thing. Much like the rape of Sue Dibny, the death of Wally and Linda's twins was done in a manner that showed intent to cause grief and harm and hit people below the belt, in some ways. I don't think it's so much that it was violent as it was extremely impactful and made you feel deeply for the characters involved. (not so much that the rape of Sue wasn't violent, but it was somewhat implied and partially off-panel)

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old August 10th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #110
John Hays
Lovin life!

TJ, I see the point you're making, and I definitely agree that a cycle of "can you top this?" usually ends badly. I'm just not seeing a trend toward that on Geoff's part - he's written some violent comics, to be sure, but he's also written lots of stuff that's more tame. For every "Deathstroke shoots Impulse" scene, there's a TT #7 "Day in the Life" issue.

IC as a whole was a pretty violent book, I would certainly concede. But we're still in a spot where the violence is integral to the plot and not tacked on. There are a few places (I mentioned Countdown earlier in the thread) where I think some implied violence might have been a better choice, but it's not a Garth Ennis comic or anything.
ddf
Matches
Yeah, the whole point was "Do we have to worry about Geoff's comics all being like Superboy Prime in IC", which to me seems to be an OBVIOUS answer in the negative.

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old August 10th, 2006   Atom is offline   #111
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

ddf
Matches
IMHO, we're still getting a pretty healthy dose of "violence topping" in "52" right now. Black Adam's tearing Terra Man in half and splattering his blood and gore over the assembled onlookers was about as bloody and violent as it comes.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old August 10th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #112
jafabian

Eh - I'd have to pull out my trade to refresh my memory, but it didn't strike me as particularly violent. To some extent ALL superhero comics (or at least most of them) are violent
ddf
Matches
Very true. Parents Magazine called the Teen Titans cartoon the most violent piece of children's programming on television last year.