The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old August 10th, 2006   tcjohnson is offline   #145
tcjohnson
Geoffan

Basically to the effect of a brighter DCU after all the darkness. For the most part they've delivered...I'm enjoying Superman more than I have in almost 20 years, same with most of the titles I'm reading. I was one of the strong voices against the darkness and holding their irons to the fire on delivering with OYL, and I have to say they seemed to have done it.
ddf
John Hays

For the most part maybe. I don't know...I generally like the third tier characters rather than Batman and Superman. I still see the overly dark DCU in those comics.

Old August 10th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #146
John Hays
Lovin life!

For the most part maybe. I don't know...I generally like the third tier characters rather than Batman and Superman. I still see the overly dark DCU in those comics.
ddf
tcjohnson
Who are you referring to?

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old August 10th, 2006   E2Brutus is offline   #147
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

Except didn't Terra-Man (of all people) get ripped in half during 52? I realize I'm new to this revelation and all, but that's the impression I got. If so, they already dropped the ball on this one.
ddf
TJLamb0518
Like I said, the jury's still out. Black Adam seems to be the only one i can think of that still on that same ultra-violent tack, and he's being toned down by Isis now. Superman & Batman are back on track and less whiny/cranky than they've been in years.

I don't read the entire DC line, so there may be someone out there that's still writing the ultraviolent stuff, but I haven't seen it outside of 52. If nothing else it's a step in the right direction.

Old August 10th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #148
John Hays
Lovin life!

Like I said, the jury's still out. Black Adam seems to be the only one i can think of that still on that same ultra-violent tack, and he's being toned down by Isis now. Superman & Batman are back on track and less whiny/cranky than they've been in years.

I don't read the entire DC line, so there may be someone out there that's still writing the ultraviolent stuff, but I haven't seen it outside of 52. If nothing else it's a step in the right direction.
ddf
E2Brutus
See my previous post. 52's not OYL, so technically Black Adam's stuff doesn't count.

Old August 10th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #149
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Once again my problem with the whole sexism thing is that it is always accused anytime something happens to a female, and many times is off base. But some peopll don't want to hear that.
ddf
Chris D.
The problem is that I've seen too many genuine concerns dismissed out of hand.

Once again your seeing what you want to.
ddf
Chris D.
There's a problem with that argument, as it works both ways. I could very well argue that you are ignoring what you don't wish to see and have an equally valid point. Instead, why not actually examine the events rather than dismiss them out of hand? You would have a far stronger argument.

I simply stated and showed how most of the characters have gone through similar stuff.
ddf
Umm, no, you didn't. You listed a bunch of male characters, most of whom were still alive to a comment of Maven's that Jade got shafted. Totally missing the point of her comments, which was the purpose of Jade's death -- to power up Kyle.

Some people don't want to hear that bc it takes away from the comics hate women theory.
ddf
And some people enjoy painting their opponents as extremists rather than actually thinking on debating on a mature level. My problem with you is you lump all people who have seen sexism in comics in with the extremists when you make an argument.

The subject was events that happened to GL characters, especially females. After it was shown what happened to the males also, it was twisted to well, the females aren't around, which isnt even the case now. Only Katma's not around right now.
ddf
If you paid attention in that thread you'd realize that's why I had the survey, because we were down to just Katma, Jade, and Carol (not a Lantern but still a vital female cast member) being gone. I wanted to see if the nasty things I'd heard said about the franchise were lessening, and subversively spread a little awareness of what happened on GL#12 over on the Feminist boards.

She was answering a question. You were arguing against someone who had answered "No" for currently reading and who had specifically had a problem with losing Jade. Instead of bringing up the recent resurrections, you went for a counterpoint with a group of male characters that have been resurrected/healed/are basically still around. She was under the impression that the only female character in the GL franchise was Soranik (actually, I think I'm misremembering a bit -- she may have been one of the people who didn't know who Nikky was) and you could have immediately put a stop to that by dropping a spoiler in the convenient spoiler text. Instead you went reactionary against the sexism argument by dismissing it, rather than gently pointing out that it's not the cas4e. You're not as good a debater as you think you are.

Comparing Hal to second and third string characters is completely off base. He is one of DC's major icons. Of course they would try and use him and have him appear.
ddf
Then why did you compare Hal to the second string characters in that thread?

Funny your bringing up Soranik, as a male GL died in the beginning of the GLC mini so she could have a ring sent to her. But that stuff never happens.
ddf
YAY! I knew you could think of a decent point! Now, it just needs to happen more often so things can be equal.

And it doesn't solve the Token Female Character syndrome that hangs over her, which is an entirely different problem. Hopefully we'll see more estrogen next storyline.

If an issue is brought up objectively, that's fine. But making the blanket accusation that comics are sexist and all women are treated unfairly is just plain wrong. Blanket accusations are fair play I see. So is continually trying to point out and skew events that happen to females to make it seem sexist, while downplaying everything that happens to any male characters.
ddf
Except you are lumping ALL accusations of sexism under the blanket, making a BLANKET dismissal. That is why I am always after you, because when you argue against someone I disagree with, I always get the impression you are lumping me in with them.

Old August 10th, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #150
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

The problem is that I've seen too many genuine concerns dismissed out of hand.
ddf
Ragnell
Well as I stated many times before, when you get a lot of extremists making off base accusations, that happens

There's a problem with that argument, as it works both ways. I could very well argue that you are ignoring what you don't wish to see and have an equally valid point. Instead, why not actually examine the events rather than dismiss them out of hand? You would have a far stronger argument.
ddf
Ragnell
Actually I was the one that was examining events. One example is I even examined how Alex was actaully very positively portrayed before her death. I went into just about every one...but once again.....

Umm, no, you didn't. You listed a bunch of male characters, most of whom were still alive to a comment of Maven's that Jade got shafted. Totally missing the point of her comments, which was the purpose of Jade's death -- to power up Kyle.
ddf
Ragnell
Once again, Maven spoke about how the whole GL concept became sexist. I was answering that. Where you got it was just about Jade, I don't know. Once again listing the males 2 who 'Died' for awhile is wrong...yep.

And some people enjoy painting their opponents as extremists rather than actually thinking on debating on a mature level. My problem with you is you lump all people who have seen sexism in comics in with the extremists when you make an argument.
ddf
Ragnell
no, and I have continually given examples and explanations but they all go for naught and get twisted. I even agreed many times that Jade's death was done horribly. You on the other hand paint anyone who doesn't aggree that there is a great trend of sexism in comics as "illogical" and "defensive". Not very mature at all.

If you paid attention in that thread you'd realize that's why I had the survey, because we were down to just Katma, Jade, and Carol (not a Lantern but still a vital female cast member) being gone. I wanted to see if the nasty things I'd heard said about the franchise were lessening, and subversively spread a little awareness of what happened on GL#12 over on the Feminist boards.
ddf
Ragnell
Actaully I saw your results and saw how you twisted things. Even using for one of your quotes a person who doesn't read GL but thinks it's sexist. None of the anti sexist views were quoted. Very unbiased reporting on your part.

She was answering a questi]on. You were arguing against someone who had answered "No" for currently reading and who had specifically had a problem with losing Jade. Instead of bringing up the recent resurrections, you went for a counterpoint with a group of male characters that have been resurrected/healed/are basically still around. She was under the impression that the only female character in the GL franchise was Soranik (actually, I think I'm misremembering a bit -- she may have been one of the people who didn't know who Nikky was) and you could have immediately put a stop to that by dropping a spoiler in the convenient spoiler text. Instead you went reactionary against the sexism argument by dismissing it, rather than gently pointing out that it's not the cas4e. You're not as good a debater as you think you are.
ddf
Ragnell
Once again( I have to say that a lot), I was never arguing against Jade, i was arguing about the misogynistic accusations as a whole and showing what happened to ALL the characters. I fI was the greatest debater in the world, it would'nt matter bc you'd just twist things how you want them anyway.

Then why did you compare Hal to the second string characters in that thread?
ddf
Ragnell
Obviosly to show that even the MAIN characters were not treated great, the fact that I have to explain that to you speaks volumes.

YAY! I knew you could think of a decent point! Now, it just needs to happen more often so things can be equal.

And it doesn't solve the Token Female Character syndrome that hangs over her, which is an entirely different problem. Hopefully we'll see more estrogen next storyline.
ddf
Ragnell
Great example of how it will never be good enough. Tell me, males have no problem reading books with all female casts or a main female character. Why must things be female to be "right"?]

Except you are lumping ALL accusations of sexism under the blanket, making a BLANKET dismissal. That is why I am always after you, because when you argue against someone I disagree with, I always get the impression you are lumping me in with them.
ddf
Ragnell

Well, that's on you and how you think if you assume I'm lumping you in with things you have nothing to do with. I am not lumping anything. I have gone into each one specifically. What gets me is a lot of the outrage and accusasions that everyhting is sexist no matter what. No matter what they do it's not good enough and it'ssexist. That's just off base

So let's leave it at that. it's getting too long winded and just going in the same circles
Last edited by Chris D.; August 10th, 2006 at 06:04 PM.

Old August 10th, 2006   rex tyler is offline   #151
rex tyler
The Bemused Horseman

I'm in late, but I thought the Linda miscarriage storyline was fantastic. Not over-the-top, or gruesome, to me. And I'm a father of 2(plus one on the way)...........that's why it resonated with me so much. I guess you can find what you to if you peer at it enough.

Heroes need strife. If they are lounging around, happy, slapping their buddies on the back, and pinning up a Norman Rockwell painting, while their wives/husbands pour them a nice, cold glass of lemonade - it makes for a nice image, but nothing I want to read about beyond a certain amount of time. Bad things happen.......sometimes they happen to your favorite characters. I'm interested in how they change and grow from the experiences. That's the point. It's a 2-D picturesque soap opera with capes.

This "Risk only got his arm ripped off so he was respected by the writers, but the extra panel of Pantha's death means that Geoff hates women, and comics are a refridgerator heaven" stuff is just.......wow, at times. Pantha didn't die because she was a woman. She died because she was 3-4th string: take it from an Hourman fan(been there, done that).

Better late than dead, man of the hour, better late than dead. - Jack Knight
Old August 10th, 2006   JLG is offline   #152
JLG
Waiting for resurrection

Bad things happen.......sometimes they happen to your favorite characters. I'm interested in how they change and grow from the experiences. That's the point. It's a 2-D picturesque soap opera with capes.
ddf
It's just that it's such a cliche to kill of the man's family, his girlfriend/wife for this sort of thing. I'm fine with bad stuff happening to my favorite characters to see them grow and change and all that, I just expect it to be done well. I think it's faulty reasoning behind the choices of who to kill.

This "Risk only got his arm ripped off so he was respected by the writers, but the extra panel of Pantha's death means that Geoff hates women, and comics are a refridgerator heaven" stuff is just.......wow, at times. Pantha didn't die because she was a woman. She died because she was 3-4th string: take it from an Hourman fan(been there, done that).
ddf
rex tyler
I said I'd stop while I was behind, but I just wanted to clarify something:

It's not simply that she died, it's how it was treated and the reasoning behind it. Why was she chosen to be first, and to be the focus of the extra attention to her corpse? The statement that has me so up in arms is this: she was chosen because "she would affect Red Star, who was very close with her, when we told his story." That extra bit seems more than just an issue of tiers. I'm not saying Geoff is a he-man woman hater, it's just, to me, this seems to fit in with the whole awful trend, especially with that line about doing it for Red Star's story (I mean, Red Star was just as obscure and in limbo as Pantha was, but why is his story more important to tell then Pantha's unresolved one? I'm not trying to sound like more sour grapes, I just want to know).

Old August 10th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #153
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Why was Pantha less important than Red Star? Easy. DC is focusing HEAVILY on the international stage with it's comics I'm led to believe. Red Star has ALWAYS been a character motivated and driven by pathos. Pantha was, I'm sorry, a throw away relic of the 90's when cat-women were appearing with the regularity of Pauly Shore movies.

Why was her death given extra attention and why was she chosen first? How about those Bushido, Risk and Wildebeest fans who would cry out "why WASN'T my favorite character given more panel time for their death? Why was MY favorite treated like an afterthought?".

I mean, really, come on.....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old August 10th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #154
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Once again, Maven spoke about how the whole GL concept became sexist. I was answering that. Where you got it was just about Jade, I don't know. Once again listing the males 2 who 'Died' for awhile is wrong...yep.
ddf
Chris D.
I got that because you addressed the wrong point. Maven based her accusation on the idea it wass based off the Lensmen novels, which was a weak point you could easily have gone after. Instead, out of nowhere, you began listing male characters and the tragedies that had happened to them. The only point on Maven's post that such a list could target was the Jade one.

no, and I have continually given examples and explanations but they all go for naught and get twisted.
ddf
They are poor examples. Learn to argue the point.

You on the other hand paint anyone who doesn't aggree that there is a great trend of sexism in comics as "illogical" and "defensive". Not very mature at all.
ddf
I'm saying that you are being illogical and defensive because you immediately dismiss the idea that women are treated differently from men in comics, to the point that someone who would agree with you on the initial point is put on the defensive.

Actaully I saw your results and saw how you twisted things. Even using for one of your quotes a person who doesn't read GL but thinks it's sexist. None of the anti sexist views were quoted. Very unbiased reporting on your part.
ddf
You mean these results.

I have to take issue with that accusation. I collected the Yeses and Nos, and the ones that required names and short results for brevity. I quoted EVERYONE in the questions that required quotes, and tried to keep it to only those questions. I did add too footnotes because I saw at least two arguments where short answers were called into question by some extremely odd responses.

I avoided the answers that were not directed at the questionnaire, which is how your arguments against Maven did not make the cut.

It is Not My Fault when the people who find it not sexist only offer comments on yes/no questions and skipped the questions that actually ask for comments. I linked all of the original threads so people could see for themselves.

Once again( I have to say that a lot), I was never arguing against Jade, i was arguing about the misogynistic accusations as a whole and showing what happened to ALL the characters. I fI was the greatest debater in the world, it would'nt matter bc you'd just twist things how you want them anyway.
ddf
Here's a tip, stop using a single person as an excuse to attack a very broad viewpoint and argue on the same level the person you are arguing with. All you do is create ghosts of previous arguments and cast them on the current one. This gets you nowhere.

Obviosly to show that even the MAIN characters were not treated great, the fact that I have to explain that to you speaks volumes.
ddf
Yes, it does speak volumes, but not in the way you presume. You don't realize that it murders your own point when you do that. The situation is not equal, you aren't arguing on the level. If you intend to argue about second-string characters use second-string EXAMPLES. The only female character on the level with Hal is Wonder Woman. When arguing someone who's using Jade as an example, bring up the other Infinitors -- the only ones to get out of IC intact were Obsidian and Brainwave. You could have had a good strong argument that would have continued the debate with good will, but instead you were overdefensive and reactionary.

Onme you're finished doing that, you bring the other person, ideally, a little around to your way of thinking. Be prepared to face their counters. This way, you make headway and come to productive conclusions rather than a screaming fest.

Great example of how it will never be good enough. Tell me, males have no problem reading books with all female casts or a main female character. Why must things be female to be "right"?
ddf
Here you are casting an assumption on my argument. I never once said that ALL things MUST be female to be right. I said that it is unfair that we see a story set-up so often with a female character in one role and a male in the other, but it happens so rarely the other way around that I have to sit and think to come up with an argument against it. Half the population is female, so logically for things to be right, to be equal, half of the time we'd see a woman in one position and the other half we'd see a man in that position.

Don't argue against ghosts, argue against the actual argument. That way, you can make headway.

Well, that's on you and how you think if you assume I'm lumping you in with things you have nothing to do with. I am not lumping anything. I have gone into each one specifically.
ddf
You haven't. You're arguing against a broad category of views while you say you're going after a specific point. As a result, arguments that do not apply to the person you are debating against are creeping into the debate. It weakens your stance. Were you to actually argue my points, we'd have a productive discussion.

What gets me is a lot of the outrage and accusasions that everyhting is sexist no matter what. No matter what they do it's not good enough and it'ssexist. That's just off base
ddf
I've yet to see this. I've seen some non-feminist arguments presented as feminist. I've seen some conclusions jumped to. I've seen overdefensiveness of favorite characters leading to suspicion. I have yet to see "Everything is sexist no matter what." The majority of people are open to the debate, but you have to be willing to examine the idea. You start off your argument by painting the other person as crazy.

For example, I said l'd be able to list 4 female characters before we got to the second. You thought of one -- Natu's predecessor. I can think of Jade, Alex, Katma, Elektra before I get to Terry Long, then Pantha, Gwen Stacy, Sue Dibny, Arisia and now I'm short on men again.

I can't think of any, whether that's due to actual truth or just my perception allows me to remember the women only is up in the air. We could ahve had a productive discussion examining whether or not this is truly unequal, but instead you chose to write it off as a ridiculous and extremist thought not worth examining.

How can you possibly expect to have a productive discussion that way? You just put the other person on the defensive.

So let's leave it at that. it's getting too long winded and just going in the same circles
ddf
Only because you don't know how to make headway in an argument. You're picking at strawfeminists here. You need to read someone's post and go after the actual weak points, not some imaginary evil. You need to argue against the individual you've run into, not everyone you've ever argued with before. This is not some Feminist Hive Mind you've run into. These are individuals with individual concerns.

I'm trying to help you, Chris!

Old August 10th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #155
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Why was Pantha less important than Red Star? Easy. DC is focusing HEAVILY on the international stage with it's comics I'm led to believe. Red Star has ALWAYS been a character motivated and driven by pathos. Pantha was, I'm sorry, a throw away relic of the 90's when cat-women were appearing with the regularity of Pauly Shore movies.
ddf
TJLamb0518
I suggested that on the Girl-wonder.org thread, but wasn't sure I wasn't mixing him with another character. Thank you!

Old August 10th, 2006   JLG is offline   #156
JLG
Waiting for resurrection

ddf
TJLamb0518
But the cliche is to kill off the girlfriend/wife to boost the hero's development and career, and, to me, it fits in here. DC needs to boost Red Star as part of that plan? Kill his wife and son for angst. It seems just like killing Katma to get Hal and John fighting and angsting. When Geoff is getting so much praise for rescuing characters from limbo and writing them well, and fixing things, that I can't really accept "throw away relic" as a reason. I honestly think she was a better character than just a gimmick, and had a lot of potential. Given how terrible superhero families and couples have fared in DC (and probably over at Marvel too) lately, would it have been so bad to keep Pantha, WB, Red Star together in some form? You'd think with the beastmen in 52 and Tim's experiments, there'd be a good fit for Pantha's storyline.

Why was her death given extra attention and why was she chosen first? How about those Bushido, Risk and Wildebeest fans who would cry out "why WASN'T my favorite character given more panel time for their death? Why was MY favorite treated like an afterthought?".
ddf
Here's what I don't get - why should I be grateful as a fan to see extra panels of her decapitated head bouncing across the concrete? There isn't anything about her character that's being featured, just her being mangled. Why should I be content that her decapitation is what is being notable? Unless my biased memory is screwing things up, Bushido did get more panel space alive than Pantha did. And ultimately, Pantha was treated as much as an afterthought as BW and Bushido were, despite how much attention was focused on showing her death and head - the only mention of Pantha, as far as I know, was with Nightwing's comment about Pantha, Wildebeest, and Bushido all being forgotten - she hasn't been treated with any more attention than the rest. And Bushido, I don't think, was killed so any women in his life could be reintroduced as a hero in a storyline. Actually, I think you may be right that I may be unintentionally downplaying Wildebeest, but, I don't know... I think his death was still different, being placed after his mother was killed in front of him and charing for personal revenge.

Old August 10th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #157
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

It seems just like killing Katma to get Hal and John fighting and angsting.
ddf
JLG
JLG, who's the most vocal about that particular example that you know? Isn't it me? And... how often do you see me at Christopher Priest's website telling him about it?

Honestly, you said your piece and were heard by the writer (which is actually a better chance than I've have with Katma and Priest, but he doesn't write GL anymore so there's little point in bothering him to begin with), and he disagreed. It might be a good time to move on, wait until another writer comes along.

I'm not saying you should stop venting about Pantha on your own space, but that line of conversation, on this thread, has pretty much run its course.

Old August 10th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #158
John Hays
Lovin life!

I mean, really, come on.....
ddf
TJLamb0518
According to Geoff, it was because DC had plans for Red Star in a future storyline (as you can see with the upcoming Teen Titans cover), and he said that Pantha hadn't been used for the longest period of time, and there were no plans for her.

Old August 10th, 2006   JLG is offline   #159
JLG
Waiting for resurrection

JLG, who's the most vocal about that particular example that you know? Isn't it me? And... how often do you see me at Christopher Priest's website telling him about it?

Honestly, you said your piece and were heard by the writer (which is actually a better chance than I've have with Katma and Priest, but he doesn't write GL anymore so there's little point in bothering him to begin with), and he disagreed. It might be a good time to move on, wait until another writer comes along.

I'm not saying you should stop venting about Pantha on your own space, but that line of conversation, on this thread, has pretty much run its course.
ddf
Ragnell
Yeah, I think you're right. I keep saying I'll stop complaining about it, but then I go ranting about it all again. I think I have said all I can say, and I doubt I'm going to make any headway or come up with anything new.

So, yeah, I'll stop annoying and angering people ranting about it here. I'm all done.

Old August 10th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #160
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

All we need now is for Grant Morrison to come into the thread and freak out and it will be complete. this is starting to turn into another racism guy from comicon

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo