The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old August 7th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #1
The Flash
Geoffan

Default Quotes from The Question

Can anyone list a few cool quotes from The Question? Mainly from the O' Neil series. I'm thinking of collecting some of the issues. Thanks.
Last edited by The Flash; August 7th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.

Old August 8th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #2
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

rorshach sucks!

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old August 8th, 2006   Your Rock God is offline   #3
Your Rock God
From Planet Reverb!!!

rorshach sucks!
ddf
Chris Hansbrough
I was going to say that.......

The Outhouse- Smelling Like Tulips Since 1974
Old August 8th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #4
The Flash
Geoffan

Anyone? Just a few, would be nice.

Old August 8th, 2006   Matches is offline   #5
Matches
stepping aside

It's kind of a tough question. (pun unintended) O'Neil's Question wasn't all that talkative, and the things he did say weren't particularly witty. Great series, but not a lot of good one-liners.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old August 8th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #6
The Flash
Geoffan

It's kind of a tough question. (pun unintended) O'Neil's Question wasn't all that talkative, and the things he did say weren't particularly witty. Great series, but not a lot of good one-liners.
ddf
Matches
Darn it.

Old August 8th, 2006   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #7
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

JLU had a LOT of them

"AHA! 42 flavors, i knew it"

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old August 8th, 2006   Big Bad Voodoo Lou is offline   #8
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
I am the Law... Librarian

Yeah, having read all the O'Neil Question issues (except for Question Quarterly #4, which has eluded me for years), I can tell you to not expect the hilariously creepy conspiracy theorist of the JLU cartoon. He's rather quiet and reserved (being more of a Zenlike character), and not known for wisecracks or memorable pronouncements. Still, it's a solid series if you like the character, just not a GREAT one.

My website, including comics and toys for sale or trade: http://www.geocities.com/bigbadvoodoolou .
Old August 8th, 2006   JRCarter is offline   #9
JRCarter
Advanced Geoffan

JLU had a LOT of them

"AHA! 42 flavors, i knew it"
ddf
Peter Aitken
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
Last edited by JRCarter; August 8th, 2006 at 07:29 PM.

Old August 8th, 2006   Argent is offline   #10
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

The O'Neil Question saved the witticisms for the other characters. I think it was the first time we saw Shiva say her line about breaking an arm in a way that would make it never heal.

The big trademark for The Question was how he survived in impossible ways that weren't his doing. Like at the end of the first issue he gets taken down by Lady Shiva, beaten by the thugs she's working with, shot, point blank, in the side of the head with an assassin's air pistol and dumped in the harbor. He lives only because his mask partially deflected the shot and the pellet travelled along the line of the skull instead of penetrating.

Another time, he's been pushed out of an airplane over the city and is falling to his death. A terminally ill cancer patient goes to the roof of the Hospital, looks up with his arms wide open, embracing the sky, and The Question lands on him, killing the patient but he is able to walk away.

It was a very philisophical book and for the time very violent. Probably the grimmest of the Grim and Gritty books, especially pre-Vertigo. For example one of the one shot villains was called The Mikado. He went around murdering people in fitting ways - like the abusive, overweight bubba who would starve his family to keep them in line. Mikado paralyzes him in the front seat of the Bubba's Truck, draws a scalpel and then asks, "Are you familiar with the term flense?"

Denny O'Neil loved the Shiva character - it is not an accident that the stories where she trained Batman and Tim Drake happened while he was the editor in charge of the Bat Office.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old August 8th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #11
The Flash
Geoffan

The O'Neil Question saved the witticisms for the other characters. I think it was the first time we saw Shiva say her line about breaking an arm in a way that would make it never heal.

The big trademark for The Question was how he survived in impossible ways that weren't his doing. Like at the end of the first issue he gets taken down by Lady Shiva, beaten by the thugs she's working with, shot, point blank, in the side of the head with an assassin's air pistol and dumped in the harbor. He lives only because his mask partially deflected the shot and the pellet travelled along the line of the skull instead of penetrating.

Another time, he's been pushed out of an airplane over the city and is falling to his death. A terminally ill cancer patient goes to the roof of the Hospital, looks up with his arms wide open, embracing the sky, and The Question lands on him, killing the patient but he is able to walk away.

It was a very philisophical book and for the time very violent. Probably the grimmest of the Grim and Gritty books, especially pre-Vertigo. For example one of the one shot villains was called The Mikado. He went around murdering people in fitting ways - like the abusive, overweight bubba who would starve his family to keep them in line. Mikado paralyzes him in the front seat of the Bubba's Truck, draws a scalpel and then asks, "Are you familiar with the term flense?"

Denny O'Neil loved the Shiva character - it is not an accident that the stories where she trained Batman and Tim Drake happened while he was the editor in charge of the Bat Office.
ddf
Argent
Wow...well said Argent.

Old August 8th, 2006   J-Liv is offline   #12
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

ddf
Argent
"Great Ceasar's ghost! I was almost a goner! Thank heavens this dying cancer patient broke my fall...."

Wow....just....wow...I have to remember THAT one next time I'm writing anything comical....

-J

Old August 8th, 2006   Argent is offline   #13
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

One story that I don't personally remember well, but that gets talked about on wikipedia and other sites, is the one where Vic Sage reads Watchmen and decides to try to solve crime like Rorschach. He goes out, gets his butt kicked royally, and the final line is "Rorschach sucks!"

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old August 8th, 2006   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #14
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

One story that I don't personally remember well, but that gets talked about on wikipedia and other sites, is the one where Vic Sage reads Watchmen and decides to try to solve crime like Rorschach. He goes out, gets his butt kicked royally, and the final line is "Rorschach sucks!"
ddf
Argent

Link me!!!

Old August 8th, 2006   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #15
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Whoops, 32...42...10 off

Old August 8th, 2006   darthlucifuge is offline   #16
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

ddf
AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHhahahahahaHha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to read this. NOW!

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards