The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old August 10th, 2006   Ed Garland is offline   #1
Ed Garland

Default New York Comic Con: Worth going?

Hello, all.

I have been to a few smaller conventions in the past (the ones in the Hotel Pennsylvaina in NYC), soley as a walk-up customer, not buying tix in advance. Had fun.
I tried going to the NY Comic Con last year as a walk-up and surprisedly was turned away.
I understand that the comic stuff I'm into is more popular now than ever (part of me regrets this), so, these things will be crowded.
However, I noticed the event staff was blocking paid patrons from entering due to lack of space and overbooking. I saw this happen.
I even heard reports that a few professionals were prohibited access.
So, upon seeing the new ads for the 2007 Con lately, I'm a little hesitant about trying again, even if it's a paid-in-advance ticket.
Is it worth taking the chance? Honestly?
Thanks.

Best,
Ed

Saving the world, one student at a time.
Old August 10th, 2006   MattmanBegins is offline   #2
MattmanBegins
The"Until Death"Horseman

Hello, all.

I have been to a few smaller conventions in the past (the ones in the Hotel Pennsylvaina in NYC), soley as a walk-up customer, not buying tix in advance. Had fun.
I tried going to the NY Comic Con last year as a walk-up and surprisedly was turned away.
I understand that the comic stuff I'm into is more popular now than ever (part of me regrets this), so, these things will be crowded.
However, I noticed the event staff was blocking paid patrons from entering due to lack of space and overbooking. I saw this happen.
I even heard reports that a few professionals were prohibited access.
So, upon seeing the new ads for the 2007 Con lately, I'm a little hesitant about trying again, even if it's a paid-in-advance ticket.
Is it worth taking the chance? Honestly?
Thanks.

Best,
Ed
ddf
Ed Garland
In my honest opinion, yeah I think it's worth giving it a shot. They said they expanded the amount of floor space and the ticket/registration process is ten times easier. (To avoid the problems they had last year)

Despite the problems, I had a great time last year and am looking forward to going again next year.

If you decide that you're going to go, I would suggest buying your tickets online soon, because they're over-priced at the door.

Hope that helps!

-M

Until Death, my comic book writing debut, is AVAILABLE NOW!!! Purchase it here: http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=1858
Old August 10th, 2006   Bobby Bell is offline   #3
Bobby Bell

I'm torn about it.

I went last year with an pre-paid ticket, and though I was initially able to get in, all I could do was walk around the tiny convention hall. I didn't stop at more than 1 or 2 booths and it still took me about an hour (due largely to crowds), then I made the mistake of stepping out for a moment, and waited in line to get back in for more than an hour and a half. After only moving about 30 feet, I called it quits.

As I recall, there were some pretty high ups from DC editorial who were even unable to get in...passing out buttons to the frustrated people in line.

I think really it depends on where you are coming from. I had to take a two hour flight (which that too was overbooked and delayed...should've been a sign) from Indianapolis.

The convention itself could be very promising. I know the company hosting it has promised a much larger space this year, however, it's an expensive trip for me (considering the ticket cost, plane ticket, hotel rooms, taxis from our hotel since it was no where close to the city), and I was soured by the entire experience.

Had a great time at WWC though!

Old August 10th, 2006   SMITTY76 is offline   #4
SMITTY76

I went last year on friday and had no problem getting in and had a blast. I think with the expanded space this year, many of the problems wont be the same this year. It was an excellent show, with tons of great artists and exhibitors and some great sellers. I cant recomend it enough.

Old August 13th, 2006   the slug is offline   #5
the slug

i suggest you go i am.
the reason why is the web site said that STAN LEE will be there this year..
worth going in my book to see stan lee.

Old August 13th, 2006   Old School is offline   #6
Old School
persona non grata

Im going on saturday out of those 3 days. and for those who would be interested I plan on setting up another comic bloc get together for the posters here as well as getting in touch with some creators too