The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 24th, 2006   hoyatables is offline   #49
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

You'd think they'd be that old, but they aren't. I forget where the semi-official age chart is, but that generation is supposed to be in their mid-20's, probably closer to 25 than to 30. Either way, they'd be around to help Bart out if he needed it, particularly those he's served with in the past.
ddf
Ohoni
Well, unless they all treat him like Ted Kord and let him go it alone . . . . :-P

Old July 24th, 2006   DarkNight1939 is offline   #50
DarkNight1939
give 'em hell, kid.

is he faster than bart?

It's better to live one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb.
Old July 24th, 2006   Atom Palmer is offline   #51
Atom Palmer
Neo Geoffan

Ethan Van Sciver is credited for creating inertia, weird world we live in

Old July 25th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #52
Ohoni
persona non grata

Well, unless they all treat him like Ted Kord and let him go it alone . . . . :-P
ddf
Nobody much liked Ted and he was in the joke JLA. Bart was like everyone's kid brother, if he was in trouble, they'd help him out, no question.

is he faster than bart?
ddf
No, but by all accounts equal, and more focused, so he was more capable of tricky maneuvers. He was also more knowledgable and stable, much like emoBart.

Old July 25th, 2006   hoyatables is offline   #53
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

Nobody much liked Ted and he was in the joke JLA. Bart was like everyone's kid brother, if he was in trouble, they'd help him out, no question.
ddf
Ohoni
That is very much NOT true. Shame on you for speaking ill of the dead . . . .

Old July 25th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #54
Ohoni
persona non grata

That is very much NOT true. Shame on you for speaking ill of the dead . . . .
ddf
Just because he's dead doesn't automatically elevate his status. He is what he always was, a C-List DC character at best who was typically treated as something of a joke.

Old July 25th, 2006   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #55
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

What List was Bart on prior to IC?

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old July 25th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #56
Ohoni
persona non grata

What List was Bart on prior to IC?
ddf
B-ish, or possibly high C-ish. Higher than Ted at least, since he was in an ongoing title that was one of DC's top sellers. As far as DCU "internal" Q-rating, he'd be way higher than Ted, since he was an active member of the hero community, while Ted was semi-retired.

Old July 25th, 2006   hoyatables is offline   #57
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

B-ish, or possibly high C-ish. Higher than Ted at least, since he was in an ongoing title that was one of DC's top sellers. As far as DCU "internal" Q-rating, he'd be way higher than Ted, since he was an active member of the hero community, while Ted was semi-retired.
ddf
Ohoni
Both were, arguably, B-list. Ted may have been semi-retired, but also had connections through the League and Birds of Prey, as well as business connections through Kord Industries. And as many loved to point out, the two JLI-centered miniseries sold quite high for DC.

Old July 25th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #58
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Both were, arguably, B-list. Ted may have been semi-retired, but also had connections through the League and Birds of Prey, as well as business connections through Kord Industries. And as many loved to point out, the two JLI-centered miniseries sold quite high for DC.
ddf
hoyatables

I have to agree. Remember, they also had plans for Tim Drake (Robin, so not B-List) to adopt the Blue Beetle mantle at one time. Plus. I'm sure that issues of BoP where Ted guest starred showed a bump in sales.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 25th, 2006   Ethan Van Sciver is offline   #59
Ethan Van Sciver

Ethan Van Sciver is credited for creating inertia, weird world we live in
ddf
Atom Palmer
I wouldn't accept credit for that. I think if a pie chart were made of who created Inertia, is would be built of these percentages:

Grant Morrison: 25%
Todd Dezago: 50%
Mike Weiringo (who designed the original Impulse costume, which was reversed for the sake of Reverse Impulse) 20%
Me: About 5%, for making him green and black, and giving him blonde hair.

Old July 25th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #60
Ohoni
persona non grata

Both were, arguably, B-list. Ted may have been semi-retired, but also had connections through the League and Birds of Prey, as well as business connections through Kord Industries.
ddf
No way was Ted B-List. B-List characters, by definition, are in at least a book a month (or two depending on shipping schedules). There are very few B-list chasracters that do not have their own books, or appear on a team, and these would be characters that are CONSTANTLY appearing as guest stars (such as Luthor or Doom). Ted was definitely C-List, if not D.

Grant Morrison: 25%
Todd Dezago: 50%
Mike Weiringo (who designed the original Impulse costume, which was reversed for the sake of Reverse Impulse) 20%
Me: About 5%, for making him green and black, and giving him blonde hair.
ddf
Heh, where did Grant come from? He wasan't even associated with that book officially.

Inertia had a cool look to him though, so give yourself a pat on the back too.

Old July 25th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #61
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

No way was Ted B-List. B-List characters, by definition, are in at least a book a month (or two depending on shipping schedules). .
ddf
Ohoni

Okay....where are these definitions listed?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 25th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #62
Ohoni
persona non grata

Okay....where are these definitions listed?
ddf
Upon the firmament.

Old July 25th, 2006   Brian LaBelle is offline   #63
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

I think your B and C list characters are some peoples A list heroes and vice versa.

I think Thaddeus is A list personally.

Old July 25th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #64
Ohoni
persona non grata

I think your B and C list characters are some peoples A list heroes and vice versa.

I think Thaddeus is A list personally.
ddf
The lists aren't terribly subjective. It's not about who's favorite character it is. It's about Q rating. Thad is definitely D-List, no matter how cool he is, because he only ever appeared in nine issues of a lower tier comic, which most people don't even remember.

A-list characters are universal. It doesn't matter who your favorite character is, doesn't matter who mine is, eveyone knows the A-listers, even outside of comics (Batman, Superman, etc.). B-Listers are those who might be recognizable to non-comic fans, and are instantly recognizable to most comic fans, and almost always appear in an ongoing title. C-Listers are popular guest stars, villains, and supporting characters who are fairly well known to comic fans, but largely unknown outside the comics community. D-Listers are fairly unknown even among comic fans, or perhaps just unliked by most of them, and are generally characters that made limited appearances in smaller titles, or made appearances in books that almost nobody read, and are therefore largely unknown. F-Listers nobody knows who they are, they are that unmemorable.