The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old June 22nd, 2006   Astroape2000 is offline   #1
Astroape2000
Heretic Hammer Horseman

Default GL Annual #4

I see a lot of people referencing this annual in regards to GL and Major Force squaring off in Bludhaven. I've never read it, but can someone give me a synopsis. How is Hal fighting MF when he should be Parallax?

Old June 22nd, 2006   Dan Loayza is offline   #2
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

Oh, I remember that one. Though I don't recall Bludhaven being the location.

Basically, Hal (as Parallax) tries some shenanigans with some power batteries he's stolen (from Alan and Guy if memory serves). At the same time, Kyle is charging his ring, and something goes wrong. Hal and Kyle end up switching places, and have to spend a day in each others lives.

Kyle pops up in Hal's outfit in the middle of a fight with the Invisible Destroyer, and Hal shows up in Kyle's life a few hours before Alex is killed. When Hal discovers Alex dead a few hours later, the fight with Major Force ensues.

#HEEL
Old June 22nd, 2006   Astroape2000 is offline   #3
Astroape2000
Heretic Hammer Horseman

Oh, I remember that one. Though I don't recall Bludhaven being the location.

Basically, Hal (as Parallax) tries some shenanigans with some power batteries he's stolen (from Alan and Guy if memory serves). At the same time, Kyle is charging his ring, and something goes wrong. Hal and Kyle end up switching places, and have to spend a day in each others lives.

Kyle pops up in Hal's outfit in the middle of a fight with the Invisible Destroyer, and Hal shows up in Kyle's life a few hours before Alex is killed. When Hal discovers Alex dead a few hours later, the fight with Major Force ensues.
ddf
Dan Loayza
Was it actually as lame as it sounds or did it read better?

Old June 22nd, 2006   Dan Loayza is offline   #4
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

Eh, its not terrible, but its not that great either. IMO, if you're going to shell out a few bucks for an old annual, you're better off getting #3 (a Nazi Germany elseworlds) #5 (the Legands of the Dead Earth one, which has 2 fun stories), or #6 (the Pulp Heroes one, which was just cool IMO)

#HEEL
Old June 22nd, 2006   Dax is offline   #5
Dax
Neo Geoffan

I liked it, if i can dig it up ill post a couple of scans.
However at the end of the issue hal was talking about bringing Alax back as well but that was never delt with.

Hal looked kind of cool in kyles costume.

My computer once beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kick-boxing though.
Old June 22nd, 2006   Lion Blade is offline   #6
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

The Year One GL annual had Hal and Kyle switch places and live each other's life for a while. Hal managed to protect Alex from getting killed and learned the importance of Alex to Kyle. For that reason, Hal said that he still intended to make everything right (Zero Hour mentality) and that he wanted to bring back Alex. Kyle wanted for Hal to leave Alex alone, but before that, Kyle did reveal that he now understood why Hal had issues with the Guardians as Kyle didn't like their attitude, either. The Year One GL annual was actually good, and also, I agree with Dan that the Legends Of The Dead Earth GL annual was fun (especially the first story).

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old June 23rd, 2006   Dan Loayza is offline   #7
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

The Year One GL annual had Hal and Kyle switch places and live each other's life for a while. Hal managed to protect Alex from getting killed and learned the importance of Alex to Kyle. For that reason, Hal said that he still intended to make everything right (Zero Hour mentality) and that he wanted to bring back Alex. Kyle wanted for Hal to leave Alex alone, but before that, Kyle did reveal that he now understood why Hal had issues with the Guardians as Kyle didn't like their attitude, either. The Year One GL annual was actually good, and also, I agree with Dan that the Legends Of The Dead Earth GL annual was fun (especially the first story).
ddf
Lion Blade
Thanks for the plot correction. I'd forgotten that Hal saved Alex.
Its been a while since I read the LotDE annual so I'm trying to remember the story order. It was Taa, then Perdoo, right?

#HEEL
Old June 23rd, 2006   Lion Blade is offline   #8
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

Thanks for the plot correction. I'd forgotten that Hal saved Alex.
Its been a while since I read the LotDE annual so I'm trying to remember the story order. It was Taa, then Perdoo, right?
ddf
Dan Loayza
I'm afraid I can't remember, either. BTW, you are welcome .

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old June 24th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #9
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Eh, its not terrible, but its not that great either. IMO, if you're going to shell out a few bucks for an old annual, you're better off getting #3 (a Nazi Germany elseworlds) #5 (the Legands of the Dead Earth one, which has 2 fun stories), or #6 (the Pulp Heroes one, which was just cool IMO)
ddf
Dan Loayza
Actually, I liked it, but I've got this wierd enjoyment of seeing Kyle and Hal switch story situations. Probably because Hal seems out of sorts in Kyle's sort of life and Kyle in Hal's.

That Terry Berg introduction would have been infinitely more entertaining with Hal, for example...

(Though I don't think anything would have made me like Brother's Keeper)

Old June 26th, 2006   Joshua Pantalleresco is offline   #10
Joshua Pantalleresco
Mr. Pants

I loved the Pulp Heroes annual myself. Being such an Edgar Rice Burroughs fan, it was great seeing such an homage to him. It's still one of my favorite Kyle tales.

JP

Old July 10th, 2006   Dax is offline   #11
Dax
Neo Geoffan

Ahh I knew i had it. Here's a few scans in no particular order.

My computer once beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kick-boxing though.
Old July 10th, 2006   Super Mario is offline   #12
Super Mario
Geoffan

Hal did not age well at all.

Old July 10th, 2006   fallentaco is offline   #13
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

wow, funny thing is i was looking threw some old comics like three days ago, and i found this issue and re-read it... and it was horrible!!!
glad geoff would never try anything that bad.... i hope....

Old July 11th, 2006   Dax is offline   #14
Dax
Neo Geoffan

I didnt think it was a bad story, I have read much much worse, there are couple of points where the dialog sounded kind of corny. But i really liked the part when Hal first crossed over only to find himself kissing Alex and later she comes out in sexy Lingerie (poor Hal).

Old July 11th, 2006   Lion Blade is offline   #15
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

I didnt think it was a bad story, I have read much much worse, there are couple of points where the dialog sounded kind of corny. But i really liked the part when Hal first crossed over only to find himself kissing Alex and later she comes out in sexy Lingerie (poor Hal).
ddf
Dax
I enjoyed the story and didn't think it was bad, either.