The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 8th, 2006   Matt Olsen is offline   #113
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

You've outlined, quite succintly, many of my own concerns. We are, however, DEFINITELY in the minority. Most of comic fandom absolutely ADORED WONDER WOMAN #1.
ddf
4PointOh
Well, on the rare occassion that I can agree with Bobby I will.

It was a good "popcorn flick" issue, but I'm reserving judgement until we see the substance of the series.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old June 8th, 2006   chasm is offline   #114
chasm
Master Geoffan

This was a good starting point. The art was gorgeous and the writing was fun for longtime DC fans. Donna is obviously a temporary standin for the real Wonder Woman, and it's about time she got a chance at the role. Dick has played Batman, Wally became the official Flash, Garth nearly became the new Aquaman, and Roy...well, Roy's just playing by a different set of rules.
While I'm dubious to see Diana become a government agent when she had such a bad relationship with the US White House in Rucka's run, I'm willing to see it play out. I will be anxious to see Donna resume her Harbringer duties and set up her own identity. With the Amazons in exile, hopefully both Cassie & Donna will remain as supporting characters in the Wonder Woman title.
Nemesis & Diana. That's an intriguing combination.

Old June 8th, 2006   Astroape2000 is offline   #115
Astroape2000
Heretic Hammer Horseman

He's slated to stay until issue 5, after that everything is up to whomever takes over...
ddf
BlackTornado

That sucks! Too bad he isn't sticking around much longer.

Old June 8th, 2006   Falloutboy is offline   #116
Falloutboy
Homesick at space camp

I loved this issue, the writing and art was magic. It was really cool seeing Donna as Wonder Woman, I hope she stays being Wondy for an arc or two, but then I NEED Diana to return. So, brilliant first issue and looking forward to the next. I really hope the gods come back eventually as well, because they make the book for me too.

Old June 8th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #117
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

Updated, upgraded, newer and deadlier villains please.....

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old June 8th, 2006   Infernorhythm is offline   #118
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

Well, that was a bummer. No way Donna could be tricked that easily by Dr. Psycho. Grr, I want that litle runt to die...

And seriously, did anyone understand the line about "Losing Donna Troy"? That made no sense to me.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old June 8th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #119
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

he means he left her there to be captured

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old June 8th, 2006   titanfan is offline   #120
titanfan
Geoffan

Ok--any Diana fans who are worried that Donna is going to be WW---you can't be serious. The first issue nailed (in the head) to me, that Donna isn't going to last as WW. For one thing, it showed she's not ready (even the villains don't respect her, hints that Diana "failed" in her mission (of course she didn't--they wouldn't leave it like that), and just overall is setting things up for Diana to save the day. Don't panic, Diana fans, she'll be back by issue #6!

Anyway, it was still an above average issue. I'm just glad Donna is finally off that New Cronus thing and talking to that silly orb.

Old June 8th, 2006   glitterdammerung is offline   #121
glitterdammerung
Neo Geoffan

loved the new series. while i am still mourning the end of rucka's truncated run, heinberg weaved a fun superhero tale that really made Wonder Woman shine. i haven't had much fun with wonder woman since i was a kid watching superfriends.
two things, one, how does dr. psycho dovetail with his appearance/imprisonment in Manhunter. two, i loved the how heinberg used a streamlined continuity.
last but not least, i loved Donna's New Cronus inspired Wonder Woman armor.
and check out Miss Prince!!

check out my 3-d modeling skills!
http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/show...680#post352680
Old June 8th, 2006   Rokk is offline   #122
Rokk
Geoffan

You can check out my review here.

I will start off by saying that I have never been a real Wonder Woman fan nor have I ever read a Wonder Woman comic book. But, I like Heinberg and I love Dodson's artwork. So I decided to give this title a try.

I must say that I totally enjoyed this issue. This was a fun and entertaining read. Heinberg delivered his typically strong and funny dialogue. And of course, Dodson's art was just fantstic! This was a great comic book to read as it was to look at.

I was also happy to see Diana Prince at the end of the comic. I will admit that Wonder Woman #1 hooked me and I'll be coming back for the next issue.

Comic Book Reviews & Commentary: Comic Book Revolution
Old June 8th, 2006   sdpaperboy is offline   #123
sdpaperboy

I'm on the fence. While I LOVE Diana, and I adore Donna, what happened to having Donna keep her OWN identity?

After searching so hard during the who is "Donna Troy? Wonder Girl. Troia" runs, I think Donna would be the last person to try on the mantle of Wonder Woman.

The book would have worked for me if Troia had showed up to fight the villians INSTEAD of WW.

That being said, I can't wait to see where this arc goes. It did leave me wanting more.

I do like the idea of Diana Prince being reintroduced to the DC Universe.

Old June 8th, 2006   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #124
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

I have a quick question. I loved the issue, but was Steve Trevor really in it? Or was that Nemesis just posing as Steve Trevor the whole time? Please help, I am confused.
ddf
DCUBoyMW

It was Nemesis, posing as Steve. I suspect he'll be Diana's new love interest.

I Love The Monkey's Uncle And I'm Mad About His Chimpanzee.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Old June 8th, 2006   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #125
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

Wow. I'm... not impressed. Sorry. I'm not repulsed, but this doesn't look good.

A good place to start might be with the villains. Giganta is supposed to be a tall, muscular, Junoesque, slightly trashy-looking woman. Here, she looks like Scandal. Barbara Minerva is supposed to be a withered, middle-aged woman with a bad leg. Here, she looks like Scandal with a wig. It doesn't bode well when two such different characters are drawn to look almost interchangable.

The biggest problem, of course, is Cheetah. Rucka's take on her was fantastic, terrifying, and pregnant with possibility. And now, she's just another bad guy. And I hope to heaven those cheetahs (Small c) were psychic projections or her familiars or beefed up somehow. Wonder Woman could JUGGLE three cheetahs. The only thing that keeps me from despairing about the character completely is the more traditional-looking Cheetah on the Preview cover for #3.

Moving on to Giganta, I can see why Doctor Zeul wouldn't want to look like Wilma Flintstone on steroids anymore. I can see her getting a new hairdo and maybe not maintaining Olga's physique. But how'd she manage to lose all that muscle-mass and shrink nearly two feet? And that costume... Oy. Needs work. Needs a LOT of work.

All the ladies are running around in jumpsuits and Impulse's old sneakers. The story itself isn't awful. I suspect we're gonna end up with Diana (as Diana Prince and Wonder Woman) teamed with Nemesis doing Lynda Carter/Lyle Waggoner riffs. I guess it's somewhere to go after so long with 'Madeline Albright Meets Xena, Warrior Princess', but we'll see...

I Love The Monkey's Uncle And I'm Mad About His Chimpanzee.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Old June 8th, 2006   impulse1999 is offline   #126
impulse1999
Advanced Geoffan

This issue had soooo much to love. For me? Nothing to hate.

I doubt very much Donna will die, given all that's happened just to bring her back, plus her role to chronicle the events of the DCU.

I loved the characters and Allan has said he's going to work in past supporting players.

I was shocked, surprised and startled the entire issue!

WELL DONE to a brilliant and fresh relaunch!

DCnU? We'll see....
Old June 8th, 2006   The Krystal Method is offline   #127
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

You know how good it was?

I was sitting there, reading All Star B&R (I finally gave in and got #4) and my sister was talking to me. I noticed she went quiet and I look up to find her reading my issue of Wonder Woman. She then asked me who Donna Troy was. I told her that was the real Wonder Woman's sister. She was like, "Oh cool! You can be Wonder Woman and I can be Donna Troy!!!" She then said, "Make sure to get next month's issue. I wanna know what happens to Donna Troy!" She then said, "I hope Donna beats up Cheetah! I hate her!"

Yup. I loved this issue.

Oh and can someone explain to me how Cheetah got her hands on the lasso of truth?

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old June 8th, 2006   curiouswanderer is offline   #128
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Really liked the issue. It raises some interesting questions about the "New Earth" origin for Donna though. (Raised in the shadow of Diana until she left for the outside world?)
But over all...really liked it. I am curious as to what's been going on with Minerva, just how did she go from beast to human form again? LOVED the inclusion of Nemesis. Talk about a surprise! I was concerned that Steve looked so young, I wonder if that means he's been ret-con punched in age? And what about Etta???
Had a lot of concerns about the issue...but I'm really liking the first issue.

Oh, yeah...LOVE LOVE LOVE the white jumpsuit!

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien