The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 8th, 2006   Eggie is offline   #97
Eggie
Neo Geoffan

This is the first issue of Wonder Woman I have ever bought and I thought it was great! I can't wait to see the further developments in the next issue! I was so impressed I had to read it twice. I'm a huge Titans fan so see Donna as Wonder Woman was awesome! The art was phenomenal, Terry Dodson is perfect for this series.

My wife is going to read this tonight and hopefully she'll enjoy it...the only comic she is willing to read currently is Astonishing X-Men (not that I can blame her) but hopefully I can get her into some DC stuff. I think this book will do the trick.

Old June 8th, 2006   wonderick1 is offline   #98
wonderick1

I personally loved it and wanted more pages!!!
Loved Donna's costume. Loved her attitude and humor. Loved the redesigns of the villains. Can't wait to find out more about the evolution of the Cheetah. Loved seeing you-know-who on the last panel!!!
BEAUTIFUL art.

Bravo to Heinberg and the Dodsons!!!

Can't wait to read more.

Old June 8th, 2006   wonderick1 is offline   #99
wonderick1

P.S.

I think it is great that so many people are talking about the book. Love it or hate it, it is generating interest and hopefully hooking more new readers.

Old June 8th, 2006   Elsewhere is offline   #100
Elsewhere

I liked this. The art's nice, and I like Heinberg's writing when he finally gets an issue out (I read Young Avengers, the book of long unnecessary waits).

My one question because my knowledge of some of the DCU is lacking is this: Who's this Nemesis chap? Just so that I'm caught up.

Old June 8th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #101
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

reasonablefan1, you summed up a lot of the reasons I didn't like this issue. If the idea of the secret identity was to make her "more in touch with humanity," doesn't being a secret agent/spy go totally against that? She's still "apart from humanity," and she's spending that time being deceptive and doing other, worse moral offenses that are a contradiction of the values she's always stood for. It just makes no sense.

I also didn't like that those 3 villains were working together. As was pointed out earlier, it was just a bit of flash and sparkle. "Wow, three villains all at once!" Wasn't enough to blind me though. They were shoved together just for the sake of shoving them together, regardless of whether it makes sense in the larger scheme of things. Instead of making them look good, I find team ups like that to do an injustice to them all. They're 3 of Wonder Woman's most well-known and powerful villains. Yet they're banding together rather than being credible threats on their own. Speaking of which, this new take on Cheetah is a joke. So now she's just some normal chick who can control cats? Yawn. Are they at least, like...superpowered cats? If not, Donna is just pathetic for having such a struggle with them. It seems like a very pointless revamp, especially in light of the interesting direction she was poised to take under Rucka (and a bit during Jimenez's run). How is this Cheetah ever supposed to pose a serious threat to Wonder Woman? Will Wonder Woman get a major depowering as well to accomodate the change? And why was Cheetah's "costume" so similar to Giganta's? Giganta was definitely in need of a new look, but if Cheetah had to have one too, why couldn't they at least have not made the designs look so similar?

The introduction of Sarge Steel and Nemesis did not impress me. Maybe I'm just wary from John Byrne's run and how he had Etrigan the Demon as a frequent guest star, but I don't want to see any other heroes have a regular role in a Wonder Woman comic other than members of the Wonder Woman family. And I especially think it's a terrible idea to pin other heroes on Diana in the middle of a relaunch of her book. Not to mention, these are just more "all-new" cast members to add to the neverending list of Wonder Woman supporting cast members that will inevitably be shuffled off the stage within 1-2 years. The best thing to do would be to try to rework more cast members from runs in the past into the relaunch, because a character with more of an established role with Wonder Woman is more likely to stick around longer.
ddf
B_n_L
The spy aspect of diana prince was a definte Throwback to the IADC during seasons 2 and 3 of the Tv show. Just because she's a spy doesn't mean she's less in touch with humanity. Case in point, look at the character of Sydney Bristow in Alias. Syndey obviously lived in two different worlds. The first being a spy for SD6 and then the CIA, and the other being Sydney Bristow : daughter ,sister, best friend, confidant and at the end of the series a mother. Sydney's not only had to deal with being a spy but juggiling the two worlds without them ever meeting... a feat that believably she failed in. SD6 killed her fiancee, her best friend was killed, her other best friend was kidnapped and forced to enter the witness relocation program, her sister was killed, and she lost both parents. The question should not be why is she a spy, but instead How can she balance being a spy, a wanted fugitive, and a superhero. you have to remember that she's still new to the secrte identity thing, so it'll be good to see her try to balance everything.

In terms of the villains teaming up, the strength in numbers addage definitley fits here, if they are powerful on their own, why not band together to deal with a common foe. Having Diana/Donna face them individually would be logical, but it would also make them easier to defeat as well. by teaming them up her/their attention will in a ways be divided and she will always have to keep a wary eye an where the others are rather than having to just focus on the one villain. As far as similarities in costumes. I'm more intrigued by Minerva's human transformatrion rather than the fact they they are wearing matchin costumes.

As far as I can remember Etrigan was on a guest star for the storyline w/ Morgan le Fay. as far as supporting cast shuffles goes, I agree with the revolving door diana has had, but maybe they can change that minus into a big plus, and have them appear from time to time in the book.

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old June 8th, 2006   greenflameuk is offline   #102
greenflameuk
What Would Jack Bauer do?

Well, after i got over the shock of actually buying a Wonder Woman Issue, i read it and thought it was Fantastic!!

The writing was very good, all the characters were written very well, and it was cool to see Nemesis and Diana at the end, wonder how they'll work out as partners?.

And the art, how can you not like the Dodson's art?, it's just beautiful. I like that they've made the costumes a little more life like, with all the Leather and the padded boots, reminds me of they're work on MK: Spider-Man.

One Question: I haven't picked up the last few issues of Manhunter yet, but isn't Dr. Psycho in Jail?, but he was also in Secret Six so i guess this could happen after those issues.

Listen To The iFanboy Pick Of The Week Podcast!!...It's Grrreat!!.
Old June 8th, 2006   Astro@work is offline   #103
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Big question (can't get my copy until tommorrow...)
Does Hippolyta show up in the P.I. flashback, and if so is she blonde or brunette?

Just curious if Polly has been retconned back to the silver age look, same as Donna's history was tweaked to make closer to the silver age again (which I like!)

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old June 8th, 2006   reasonablefan1 is offline   #104
reasonablefan1
Advanced Geoffan

I'm thinking we'll get a fun pre/post-crisis mix at the end of this arc.
ddf
Ragnell
Ragnell -

I'm not so sure that is what we are getting. This issue confirmed my initial fears when they announced Heinberg for "Wonder Woman" (and Meltzer for "Justice League of America"). Not because these gentlemen can't write, but because when it comes to these characters they are hobbyists. The risk is that they will plot out their run (1-5 or 1-12), indulge their fanboy impulses and then move on without any real thought about what comes next.

A new #1 on an iconic character has a job to do - it needs to define/re-define a character for the next generation. It needs to lay the conceptual foundation for what is to come - not just between issue #1-5 but in #50 and #100 and #150. I LOVE the idea that the post-IC Wonder Woman drawing on the best of the pre-COIE WW and the best of the post-COIE. BUT you also have to add something new. When Grant Morrison re-launched "JLA," he BOTH embraced the past AND pushed the team into new directions.

What left me so disappointed w/ "Wonder Woman" #1 was its utter lack of anything fresh. We had Cheetah as a human woman w/ pet cats (hi Alex Ross), Diana as a U.S. government agent (hi pre-crisis Diana Prince), Steve Trevor in trouble (hi Lyle Waggoner), a protege taking on mantle of the hero after a Crisis (hi Wally West), pointless team up of big name villains (hi Joel Schumacher).

And I could conceivably be fine with all of that if it had been wed to something different - some new take or point of view that made me stop and look at any one of those elements in a new way. But except of the appearance of Nemesis, there were no surprises.

It isn't enough to just embrace iconic elements if you don't use those iconic elements to do something other than revel in them for their own sake. By comparison, the current "Up, Up and Away" arc in "Superman" and "Action Comics" is also embracing iconic elements, but at the same time it using them to give new shades and dimensions to Clark Kent and Superman (and Lois Lane).

"Wonder Woman" was comic equivalent of comfort food. Safe and familiar and nostalgic and, ultimately, empty. I know this will sound strange, but I don't want writers to write stories that I could write. I want them to surprise me, to take the story left where I would go right, to make me see connections and relationships and issues that I wouldn't see on my own, to choreograph fights with more energy and imagination than I could bring to the process.

I know Heinberg knows who Wonder Woman used to be and who she has been, but what he hasn't shown me is that he knows who she needs to be for next 20 years. That is the job he took on when he accepted a relaunch of the property. Of course, it is only the first issue and so I'll give him a couple of more to make his case.

Hmm.. Agent =/= Secret Agent. It doesn't mean she's into Black Ops, even if she is being paired with Nemesis this time. It just means she's a field worker for the Dept of Metahuman Affairs right now.
ddf
So Diana takes Earth-2 Wonder Woman's advice to get in touch with humanity and learn to relate to people and she decides to do this by going to work for the Dept of Metahuman Affairs? Even if Diana gets to be the only agent who gets away w/ never using a gun, it is a job built on lying and deception - not slamming the job of being an agent, but on the "jobs that would help an immortal Amazon understand how to relate ordinary people" scale it ranks a ZERO.

Let's go right to the "Alias" analogy. In a lot of ways, the first two seasons of "Alias" are a love letter to the idea of a secret identity (even though Syd was a superspy not a superhero). And a big reason the show went off the rails starting in Season 3 is that at that point the show had written itself into a box where Syd no longer had a life outside her spy world. In other words, the whole value of the secret identity lies in the contrasts it draws between different worlds.

While I'm not convinced that Diana NEEDS a secret identity, neither am I opposed to it. I think it can be written in such a way that it works uniquely for her. I don't want to read about Diana as a female Clark Kent - in other words, secret identity as plot artiface.

Oh, Ragnell, BTW, I very much enjoy the blog.

Old June 8th, 2006   reasonablefan1 is offline   #105
reasonablefan1
Advanced Geoffan

I dont understand B_n_L's comment about the three villains not fitting together.
ddf
TitansFan
I have to say the villain's "plan" here is going to be a big test for me. Although I'm disappointed in the book, I do think Heinberg is a better writer than the incredibly lame - "hey let's cause a big ruckus to draw Wonder Woman out so we can fail to kill her for the hundredth time." Your biggest enemy disappears, the proper response is to get away with as much as you possibily can while they are gone (because these characters live in the DCU, so they know she'll be back at some point).

Old June 8th, 2006   4PointOh is offline   #106
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

Reasonablefan,

You've outlined, quite succintly, many of my own concerns. We are, however, DEFINITELY in the minority. Most of comic fandom absolutely ADORED WONDER WOMAN #1.

Old June 8th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #107
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

I always thought that the reason Alias went off track was because they ran out of things to do with the Milo Rambaldi prophecies. I also think that keeping sloane and the spectre of Irina Derevko around kept the show stagnant.

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old June 8th, 2006   reasonablefan1 is offline   #108
reasonablefan1
Advanced Geoffan

I always thought that the reason Alias went off track was because they ran out of things to do with the Milo Rambaldi prophecies. I also think that keeping sloane and the spectre of Irina Derevko around kept the show stagnant.
ddf
BlackTornado
Rambaldi worked so long as it was a McGuffin. But the 3rd season comes around and Will is in witness protection, Francie is dead and Vaughan is married, and suddenly there was no personal/non-spy side to Syd's life. Then the show really became about Rambaldi, which didn't work as the foundation for a series. I agree that the show was hurt by the absence of Lena Olin - but precisely because she allowed another exploration of the family dynamic that was at the heart of the show.

"Alias" really is a great example of why storytelling is about more than just characters + writers.

Old June 8th, 2006   DCUBoyMW is offline   #109
DCUBoyMW

I have a quick question. I loved the issue, but was Steve Trevor really in it? Or was that Nemesis just posing as Steve Trevor the whole time? Please help, I am confused.

Old June 8th, 2006   Astroape2000 is offline   #110
Astroape2000
Heretic Hammer Horseman

Wow! I've read one issue of WW in my entire life (Flash/Zoom cross-over). I thought this issue was absolutely outstanding.

I keep hearing people talk about staying until issue #5. Is Heinberg leaving soon?

Old June 8th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #111
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

Wow! I've read one issue of WW in my entire life (Flash/Zoom cross-over). I thought this issue was absolutely outstanding.

I keep hearing people talk about staying until issue #5. Is Heinberg leaving soon?
ddf
Astroape2000
He's slated to stay until issue 5, after that everything is up to whomever takes over...

Old June 8th, 2006   greenflameuk is offline   #112
greenflameuk
What Would Jack Bauer do?

::Move along, nothing to see here::

Listen To The iFanboy Pick Of The Week Podcast!!...It's Grrreat!!.