The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 8th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #81
jafabian

Great way for the team of Heinberg and Dodson to kick things off. The cover immediately screams to be made into a litho or T-Shirt. I know I'd get one.

Love the concept of Donna being in the role of Wonder Woman. This will solidfy her both as a character as well as her role in the DCU. And Terry does a great job of illustrating her!

I also liked seeing some familars like Sarge Steel and Steve Trevor. And I like how Steve and Donna are familar with one another. I don't think we've seen them interact much, if at all, over the years but it really makes sense.

And we get Giganta, Cheetah and Doctor Psycho all in the same issue? They really went for broke in here! However, I'm praying for a solid storyline with Circe. I really want to see her in a few arcs where afterwards she would be ranked up there with Lex Luthor, Joker, Captain Cold, Black Adam and other major DC villains. (if she isn't already, that is)

Oh, and I love the new logo. I'm wonder if the Dodson's desinged it or maybe the letterer, Rob Leigh???

Old June 8th, 2006   Piper is offline   #82
Piper
Master Geoffan

I was so excited when I heard that Wonder Woman #1 would come out two days before my birthday, but I was very worried that 1) Donna would be Wonder Woman or 2) Diana would become Diana Prince. Then, of course, I got both of the things I didn't want.

Naturally I hated it.

At first...Okay, I didn't hate it. But I was far from thrilled. I thought it was well written, and the art is gorgeous, but I don't care about Donna or secret agent Diana. The main thing I liked (aside from the art, which is gorgeous) was Allan's use of the villains. Cheetah, Giganta, and Psycho fricking rocked!

My opinion changed drastically upon rereading it, probably because I was no longer left "hoping." I knew what to expect and wound up finding it much more enjoyable once I already knew what was going to be. I loved the script (and the art is gorgeous) and can't wait for next issue. I do hope that Diana Prince ISN'T the real Wonder Woman, though. I'm hoping she's a different character entirely.

Did I say I liked the art?

The Flash: Fastest Man Alive #12
(...3x2 (9yz)4a)
Old June 8th, 2006   PMH is offline   #83
PMH
Freedom Fighter

Oh, and I love the new logo. I'm wonder if the Dodson's desinged it or maybe the letterer, Rob Leigh???
ddf
jafabian
credits have it listed as Nancy Ogami as the logo designer.

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old June 8th, 2006   allstar_jarrod is offline   #84
allstar_jarrod
fist to face style

man was this issue cool i like donna as ww but im not liking the new clothes maybe if she had dianas costume id like it more but i think the last page kind of recked it for me diana shouldnt have been in this issue at all .she should have been kept a mystery of where she is thatwoulda been better IMO

superman returns is the best freakn movie ever made!!
Old June 8th, 2006   B_n_L is offline   #85
B_n_L
Neo Geoffan

That's the part that just seems so incredibly dumb to me given all the harping on killing. Secret agents are required to, you know, kill people. And Diana isn't someone who is ever without her powers, so it isn't like spy situations will create dramatic tension. And I can't think of a single reason why an Amazon from Themyscira would be a spy for the United States government.

The issue was OK. After months of leading the Useless Space Brigade, it's nice to see Donna actually doing something.

Giganta looked good (it was time to retire the Superfriends outfit). I don't see the value in the Cheetah revamp. There is nothing remotely scary or threatening about the character - I didn't buy for a second that she was some kind of threat. She comes across now like a 2nd rate TV show Catwoman. Also not wild about the Dr. Psycho revamp. I prefer the creepy fun take that Gail Simone perfected.

It was great seeing Sarge Steel and the Nemesis bait & switch was a clever touch (athough the lettering was ridiculously corny).

The big "reveal" at the end was an incredible non-event. Given the whole plot revolved around wanting Diana to make an appearance, it was a given that she'd show up in the last panel and "Infinite Crisis" telegraphed the Diana Prince change. And, as I noted, Diana as a U.S. government secret agent only works if the book is going to have a very cartoonish take on the character and the idea of what secret agents do.

The art was lovely and dynamic. The Dodsons have done a great job.

I'll give it a few issues to see where he's going, but #1 was pretty much all flash & gimmick and very little substance.
ddf
reasonablefan1

reasonablefan1, you summed up a lot of the reasons I didn't like this issue. If the idea of the secret identity was to make her "more in touch with humanity," doesn't being a secret agent/spy go totally against that? She's still "apart from humanity," and she's spending that time being deceptive and doing other, worse moral offenses that are a contradiction of the values she's always stood for. It just makes no sense.

I also didn't like that those 3 villains were working together. As was pointed out earlier, it was just a bit of flash and sparkle. "Wow, three villains all at once!" Wasn't enough to blind me though. They were shoved together just for the sake of shoving them together, regardless of whether it makes sense in the larger scheme of things. Instead of making them look good, I find team ups like that to do an injustice to them all. They're 3 of Wonder Woman's most well-known and powerful villains. Yet they're banding together rather than being credible threats on their own. Speaking of which, this new take on Cheetah is a joke. So now she's just some normal chick who can control cats? Yawn. Are they at least, like...superpowered cats? If not, Donna is just pathetic for having such a struggle with them. It seems like a very pointless revamp, especially in light of the interesting direction she was poised to take under Rucka (and a bit during Jimenez's run). How is this Cheetah ever supposed to pose a serious threat to Wonder Woman? Will Wonder Woman get a major depowering as well to accomodate the change? And why was Cheetah's "costume" so similar to Giganta's? Giganta was definitely in need of a new look, but if Cheetah had to have one too, why couldn't they at least have not made the designs look so similar?

The introduction of Sarge Steel and Nemesis did not impress me. Maybe I'm just wary from John Byrne's run and how he had Etrigan the Demon as a frequent guest star, but I don't want to see any other heroes have a regular role in a Wonder Woman comic other than members of the Wonder Woman family. And I especially think it's a terrible idea to pin other heroes on Diana in the middle of a relaunch of her book. Not to mention, these are just more "all-new" cast members to add to the neverending list of Wonder Woman supporting cast members that will inevitably be shuffled off the stage within 1-2 years. The best thing to do would be to try to rework more cast members from runs in the past into the relaunch, because a character with more of an established role with Wonder Woman is more likely to stick around longer.

Old June 8th, 2006   AzraelRebirth is offline   #86
AzraelRebirth

art is gorgeous, a great way to incorporate the "secret agent" aspect of the tv show and giving donna a real place, I also love the starfield armbands, just so we remember that anti-matter bit! I can imagine this almost being like batman beyond? except with donna and diana? Joy!

is there life on Mars? (aside from, y'know, j'onn)
Old June 8th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #87
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Hmm.. Agent =/= Secret Agent. It doesn't mean she's into Black Ops, even if she is being paired with Nemesis this time. It just means she's a field worker for the Dept of Metahuman Affairs right now.

Or, she could have, after living her life as a normal law enforcement person for a while, have taken this particular job for a good reason. Like flushing out corruption or getting information on a particular project. When the whole thing is out, it might all fit together perfectly.

Hey, for all we know, she took a sip of the River Lethe and really thinks she's an American woman named Diana Prince.

Old June 8th, 2006   allstar_jarrod is offline   #88
allstar_jarrod
fist to face style

this may seem a stupid question but diana was public with her identity wasnt she
or could the diana prince on the last page be someone else with the same name because that was the only problem i had with this issue

Old June 8th, 2006   Piper is offline   #89
Piper
Master Geoffan

this may seem a stupid question but diana was public with her identity wasnt she
or could the diana prince on the last page be someone else with the same name because that was the only problem i had with this issue
ddf
allstar_jarrod
As I said in my thoughts, I am REALLY hoping Diana Prince ISN'T Diana of Themyscira.

As for her identity being public...Diana didn't have any identity aside from being Wonder Woman and the Ambassador of Themyscira. In theory, most people would recognize Diana wherever she goes. Of course nobody recognizes Clark Kent, so it's possible that they'll have Diana "hiding under everyone's noses."

The Flash: Fastest Man Alive #12
(...3x2 (9yz)4a)
Old June 8th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #90
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

As I said in my thoughts, I am REALLY hoping Diana Prince ISN'T Diana of Themyscira.

As for her identity being public...Diana didn't have any identity aside from being Wonder Woman and the Ambassador of Themyscira. In theory, most people would recognize Diana wherever she goes. Of course nobody recognizes Clark Kent, so it's possible that they'll have Diana "hiding under everyone's noses."
ddf
Piper
*Ahem*

Enchantment.

Old June 8th, 2006   Primal Slayer is offline   #91
Primal Slayer
Geoffan

Diana still had her powers when she first left at the end of IC, so she still has her powers in her appearance in this issue, since I dont see how she would suddenly just lose them during 52.

Old June 8th, 2006   allstar_jarrod is offline   #92
allstar_jarrod
fist to face style

the more i look at donnas new costume the more im starting to like it but im so hoping that that diana prince on the last page is not the real diana

Old June 8th, 2006   TitansFan is offline   #93
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

I really enjoyed this issue.

For all of the Donna haters...isn't it possible to just let the story run it's coarse and enjoy the good writing? I am a Donna fan, but I dont want Donna to be Wonder Woman. I absolutely agree with Captain_Calamity that Donna as WW is a temporary stint and Diana will be WW by the end of this arc. Even if you dont like Donna...doesn't her claiming the mantle make sense? Diana's been gone a year. No one knows where she is or when/if she'll return. Donna steps into her role. It's a natural progression. As I said before, in the end, I dont want Donna to be Wonder Woman, but it makes sense in the story and the story is well written, so cant we just enjoy the ride?

I dont understand B_n_L's comment about the three villains not fitting together. I thought they were great. They all are part of the society, so they probably know each other....Psycho was one of the head cheese's there, so he'd know how to contact them. Diana's been gone for a year, and they want to draw her out. To me there's a definite logic to the team up. I loved them. My only concern is we are seeing A LOT of Dr Psycho OYL (Manhunter, Secret Six, WW, more?). I hope they dont overplay him. I also hope they are consistent with his usage. Making a shaved head look is going to have to place this OYL story after the OYL story in the other comics to avoid a continuity problem.....

I did note that this issue of WW did establish that Diana left Paradise Island MANY years before George Perez's run. Donna was still on the island when Diana left in this issue, and Donna was a founding member of the Titans. So this means, as IC hinted at, that Diana could definitely have been a founding member of the JLA.

REALLY loved the issue. GREAT ART, GREAT STORYTELLING. Loved it.

I also thought Donna's WW costume ROCKED! Loved the armor look with the half cape. Also like that they gave her Troia-esque armbands.

GREAT ISSUE!

"What kind of Superhero needs to wet himself every hour?" -- TTYO #2

Crazy Titans Fan!

"You have two choices...."

Proud New Yorker
Old June 8th, 2006   Askanipsion is offline   #94
Askanipsion
Geoffan

I really enjoyed this issue.

For all of the Donna haters...isn't it possible to just let the story run it's coarse and enjoy the good writing? I am a Donna fan, but I dont want Donna to be Wonder Woman. I absolutely agree with Captain_Calamity that Donna as WW is a temporary stint and Diana will be WW by the end of this arc. Even if you dont like Donna...doesn't her claiming the mantle make sense? Diana's been gone a year. No one knows where she is or when/if she'll return. Donna steps into her role. It's a natural progression. As I said before, in the end, I dont want Donna to be Wonder Woman, but it makes sense in the story and the story is well written, so cant we just enjoy the ride? Also like that they gave her Troia-esque armbands.
ddf
TitansFan
Exactly. I don't understand why people are flipping out about Donna being WW. Everyone knows it is just a temporary thing and it DOES make sense.

Yeah I also liked the Troia armbands. How come Donna's hair doesn't sparkle now or is that because she gave up her Godhood?

BRING BACK LILITH !!!!

DC save the "Titans"!!
Old June 8th, 2006   B_n_L is offline   #95
B_n_L
Neo Geoffan

I dont understand B_n_L's comment about the three villains not fitting together. I thought they were great. They all are part of the society, so they probably know each other....Psycho was one of the head cheese's there, so he'd know how to contact them. Diana's been gone for a year, and they want to draw her out. To me there's a definite logic to the team up.
ddf
TitansFan
That's true, I forgot that they were all members of the society, so I'm sure that's how they joined together in this story. The rest of my criticisms about the team up stand though. I think it's not necessarily a good idea to start off a relaunch with 3 of Diana's worst enemies teaming up. To most readers, Wonder Woman has a very weak rogues gallery, and the idea of 3 of her most powerful ones having to join forces to pose a real threat does not help that image. The relaunch should have been used as an opportunity to showcase each of the villains as heavy hitters on their own. I wouldn't mind seeing all three villains appear in this story, but I'd have preferred to see them each acting separately. They're not established/developed enough at this point to put such a team up in the context of "a fun and exciting story about 3 of Wonder Woman's worst enemies joining together to give her the fight of her life." It comes across more as "a fun and exciting story that requires 3 of Wonder Woman's worst enemies to join together in order to muster a threat worthy of her attention."

As for Donna as Wonder Woman, I personally don't have a problem with it, because I know it's only for this arc. One thing that does bother me about it though is the fact that, in 52 we see Donna on New Cronus, preparing herself for her new role as Harbinger. But here, we get a flashback of Diana handing off the mantle of Wonder Woman to her outside the embassy before she disappears. We can always fanwank that one event happened before the other, but what's more likely is that no one was on the same page, and they were moving Donna in two different directions. There ought to have been better oversight for a continuity error like that, but assuming Heinberg doesn't address the issue as the story goes on, ("Donna's got a brand new role as Harbinger..no wait, forget about that, now she's got a brand newer role as Wonder Woman!") I guess they can always blame it on yet more shockwaves from SBP's reality punches.
Last edited by B_n_L; June 8th, 2006 at 07:59 AM.

Old June 8th, 2006   TitansFan is offline   #96
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

I hear you and think you have a point, B_n_L (as far as having three major villains in the first arc). Although I see both sides. For my own experience, all I know is (because I didn't read ANY spoilers before reading the issue) that when I saw cheetah I thought, ok, cool....but then Giganta shows up and I was like "Oh!" -- didnt see that coming, cool. Then at the end when Psycho is revealed I was "Whoh!" So my reactions made me like the story even more, which means, for me and my non-spoiled perspective, Heinberg did his job. I just enjoyed the story.

But projecting myself into DCU-land, the team up still makes perfect sense to me. The villains want to draw Diana out and take her down. They havent been successful up until now. So if you have a goal, why not pull out the stops to make sure it's successful. It makes sense that Psycho (I'm assuming he was the one -- could have been one of the other two) calls together two other of WW's "most powerful" rogues to get the job done. Why call Condoment King when you can grab Cheetah? Why invite Captain Video when Giganta is available? So, story-wise it still makes sense to me.

Also, just because I haven't learned what that saying about beating a dead horse means..., Let's remember this is OYL. I got the distinct impression this wasn't Donna's first WW mission. So maybe some villains had worked against Donna singularly already and were foiled. To get Diana's attention, they'd have to make quick work of Donna. To do that, you bring in the big guns.

Ok, end of endless babble......

"What kind of Superhero needs to wet himself every hour?" -- TTYO #2

Crazy Titans Fan!

"You have two choices...."

Proud New Yorker