The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 7th, 2006   Madison Lee is offline   #65
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

More giddy schoolgirl nonsense:
-Nemesis! LOVE the idea of bringing him into the book! Tho I thought he died in Catwoman awhile back. I can see him as a great ally or even love interest for either Donna or Diana.
-Agent Diana Prince! We were told or hinted that Di would be with the government. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.I mean a secret agent who is also a super hero? How rare is that? Well except for the tv show.
-Donna or Diana? I honestly don't care at this point. Both deserve the title. I love Heinberg's Donna tho, very refreshing her power levels are right where they should be.
-Cheetah! Mizz Minerva is now closer in appearance to her silver age Deborah Domaine's Cheetah and I heart this to the Nth degree. The splash page with her and her kitties was just amazing! Now THIS is someone whom Catwoman should look out for!!!
-Giganta! Yes,yes dears I know we all loved the toga! But this new look is more in line with Dr. Zeul, and brilliant sassy rather than the fire bad, tree pretty Superfriends version.And as I said, the haircut is just fab!
-5 issue run. Well if the quality lasts all 5 issues, then it will be my favorite run since the inital Perez arc.
-The art! The Dodson's are AMAZING. Donna LOOKS like Donna! Diana looks like Diana! The battle scenes were widescreen and fun!
-The minor retcon of Donna! Showing her growing up on PI in the shadow of Di, and not as an avatar or whatever the hell she was last week.
-OYL/52. You just KNOW we will be seeing Donna's dynamic debut as Wonder Woman in the pages of 52!!!

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old June 7th, 2006   Primal Slayer is offline   #66
Primal Slayer
Geoffan

I loved this issue. I loved Donnas outfit, when Diana becomes WW again, I wouldn mind if they gave her an outfit modification to something like Donnas instead of the swimsuit outfit.

Dianas new job also looks to be cool.

Like the new take on Chettah and Gigantia.

Cant wait for issue 2 to come out.

Old June 7th, 2006   Whealer is offline   #67
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

I never expected to enjoy this book as much as I have. When i saw Donna as WW my heart sank, but resurfaced quickly. Steve+Donna+Nemesis+Sarge Steel+white jumpsuit Diana Prince = love for the new DCU WW. The art was stunning and the story was about as perfect as the comic form allows.

Don't tase me, bro.
Old June 7th, 2006   canvas is offline   #68
canvas

Diana's suit reminded me of that period where she lost her powers and was a secret agent...Dark times..

Old June 7th, 2006   4PointOh is offline   #69
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

DC has certainly accomplished its goal. I haven't heard so many people excited about a WONDER WOMAN book in ages. And never have I seen so many people who normally don't like Wonder Woman gush about her. Hm.

Different strokes.

Old June 7th, 2006   B_n_L is offline   #70
B_n_L
Neo Geoffan

Wow, I really did not like this issue. I can get on board with Donna being raised on Themiscyra, but that's really the only thing I liked. I don't know what else to say, because I'm so overwhelmed with disappointment that I probably wouldn't be speaking very articulately (or politely) if I tried to list all the reasons why. I'm kind of also in denial that this isn't really happening and that it will all go back to normal after this arc is over, but of course that didn't work out so well for me when I tried that with Infinite Crisis. I'll probably be back later to give more detailed thoughts.

Old June 7th, 2006   Brian Ewing is offline   #71
Brian Ewing
Master Geoffan

What a great issue. It wasn't at all what I was expecting and left me dying to get my hands on the next installment. Curse comics and their monthly schedule!

And what a gorgeous cover. It looks so much better in print than it does online.

"What can I say? The world may be going to hell, but I'm having a great time." - Grant Morrison

Xbox Live: Sharkington
Old June 7th, 2006   Askanipsion is offline   #72
Askanipsion
Geoffan

An excellent review 4Point0h. I am leaving this book on the rack. The idea of Donna, the character that was Diana (Wonder Girl) whose existence was made by an editorial oversight, is now Wonder Woman is not acceptable. The playing up Diana as a failure in her mission is appalling. I dropped this book back during Jimenez's run and it was Rucka's work that brought me back. Now it is back it's back on the rack.
ddf
Ajax
I LOVED #1.!!!!!!!!! It brought me back to WW. I was a huge fan of Jimenez's WW and I quickly dropped the book after his departure.

I am loving seeing Donna in the book. Eventually I want Diana as WW but I want Donna to be a regular in the book. I am a huge Donna fan and I am glad seeing Diana & Donna together again.

Outstanding issue! Great writing. Great art! Cool villians. Can't wait to see Circe's return as she is my favorite DC villian.

Can't wait for the next issue.

BRING BACK LILITH !!!!

DC save the "Titans"!!
Old June 7th, 2006   reasonablefan1 is offline   #73
reasonablefan1
Advanced Geoffan

Agent Diana Prince! We were told or hinted that Di would be with the government. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.I mean a secret agent who is also a super hero?
ddf
Madison Lee
That's the part that just seems so incredibly dumb to me given all the harping on killing. Secret agents are required to, you know, kill people. And Diana isn't someone who is ever without her powers, so it isn't like spy situations will create dramatic tension. And I can't think of a single reason why an Amazon from Themyscira would be a spy for the United States government.

The issue was OK. After months of leading the Useless Space Brigade, it's nice to see Donna actually doing something.

Giganta looked good (it was time to retire the Superfriends outfit). I don't see the value in the Cheetah revamp. There is nothing remotely scary or threatening about the character - I didn't buy for a second that she was some kind of threat. She comes across now like a 2nd rate TV show Catwoman. Also not wild about the Dr. Psycho revamp. I prefer the creepy fun take that Gail Simone perfected.

It was great seeing Sarge Steel and the Nemesis bait & switch was a clever touch (athough the lettering was ridiculously corny).

The big "reveal" at the end was an incredible non-event. Given the whole plot revolved around wanting Diana to make an appearance, it was a given that she'd show up in the last panel and "Infinite Crisis" telegraphed the Diana Prince change. And, as I noted, Diana as a U.S. government secret agent only works if the book is going to have a very cartoonish take on the character and the idea of what secret agents do.

The art was lovely and dynamic. The Dodsons have done a great job.

I'll give it a few issues to see where he's going, but #1 was pretty much all flash & gimmick and very little substance.

Old June 7th, 2006   Askanipsion is offline   #74
Askanipsion
Geoffan

My only complaint is that Donna was captured too easily--she may not be Diana, but she IS an Amazon and a Titaness AND she's been a superhero for like 10 years, so I think she'd put up a better fight than that.
ddf
Captain Calamity

I think Donna was defeated easier cause of the telepathic whammy she was getting from Psycho. He knows how to mess with people's heads. Plus she was caught off guard seeing "Diana" after she was missing for a year.

BRING BACK LILITH !!!!

DC save the "Titans"!!
Old June 7th, 2006   Erinyes is offline   #75
Erinyes

I loved the issue! I like the fact that it was fun, it was a fun read. It was beautiful to look at, the Dodson's outdid themselves. I enjoy that Donna stepped up to try and fill the space, and I loved the emphasis on not killing. It was interesting to see her think that way, and I think its going to help show why Diana is the only choice for the title. Or not, but I found the emphasis to be leading to something. I also don't think that we will see Donna as Wonder Woman for very long, Diana will totally take over and remind us that no one else can do the job like she can. I am cool with that. If not and Donna stays Wonder Woman, though highly highly unlikely, I will continue to read because I like Donna. Either way with stories like this, engaging and dynamic, I will continue to read.
Thom

A lover of the lesser known heroine
Old June 7th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #76
The Flash
Geoffan

Great Issue. Heinberg has got me totally hooked on this one, and Donna as WW was at an all time goodness.

This book is gonna be great.

Old June 7th, 2006   Mr. E is offline   #77
Mr. E

Well, I was skeptical. I haven't read anything from Heinberg that I liked (besides Crisis of Conscience, but that had a certain co-collaborator), and I nearly didn't pick up this issue.

So glad that I did. What a fun, fun comic! Standing O goes out to the creative team on a darn fine yarn with pretty pictures!

I'm not going to become a Heinberg fan over one issue, but I will say this - and this means a lot to me as a comic fan - He seems to understand the importance of Villains. In this one issue he revitalized three villains in a great way. Kudos.

Also - Nemesis!!!!!! Comic Geek Alert!!!!!! Whooohooo!!!!!!

Old June 8th, 2006   Ghaliya is offline   #78
Ghaliya

Well. Hmm. I'm still reeling from seeing Emma Peel (non-powered white jumpsuited Diana). I mean, I think that's the exact suit Diana wore back in her non-powered days. So weird.

The art was beautiful. The writing was okay, though I agree the villians were more impressive. I thought Donna was taken down too easily.

But...Diana in white jumpsuit...hmm..

I think I might like this series, so I'm willing to wait and see. But, I already miss the complexity of the previous series. This seems too superhero-y.

Old June 8th, 2006   PMH is offline   #79
PMH
Freedom Fighter

I was blown away! I knew the issue was going to be good but I didn't think it was going to be this good! When rumor started about Donna being the new wonder woman, I wasn't that thrilled but Alan sold on Donna's new rold. Though I am hoping Diana reclaims the titles. I am still a little iffy on the Diana Prince thing, but Diana looked pretty cool in her new role!

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old June 8th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #80
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

(My initial reactions, if anyone's interested -- http://ragnell.blogspot.com/2006/06/...reactions.html )

The white jumpsuit is very meaningful, but I don't think it necessarily means de-powered.

Now, I started reading Post-Crisis, but even I could tell that they kicked a lot of good stuff to the curb when they dropped the secret ID, aged and married off the love interest, and replaced her with Black Canary on the JLA.

I hate Donna Troy...

But I loved this issue. The elements that are returning seem to be the right ones to me, and I'm thinking we'll get a fun pre/post-crisis mix at the end of this arc.