The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 7th, 2006   Jeff! is offline   #49
Jeff!

oh btw whos Diana Prince?
ddf
FlashFan18
Diana Prince was the secret identity of Wonder Woman pre-crisis.

Old June 7th, 2006   Captain Calamity is offline   #50
Captain Calamity
Geoffan

It appears that this issue has brought in all the non-WW fans that DC hoped it would. Kudos for sales, I guess.

I really liked it, but then again I'm a huge Donna fan (even though I'm a big Diana fan as well).

I don't understand why people can't get it through their heads that this whole Diana/Donna debate is a sales tactic. Diana's already back in this issue. She'll take over by #5...if not #3. Relax, Diana fans. She IS Wonder Woman. They're just giving Donna something CONSTRUCTIVE to do for once, even if it's only for five issues!!!

Also they didn't kill Donna, Psycho only made her THINK he stabbed her. They won't kill her again for a while.

Dodson & Dodson were fantastic...Donna's costume is beautiful, and methinks Joss will take note for the film. Heinberg was fine, but not anything earth-shattering. My only complaint is that Donna was captured too easily--she may not be Diana, but she IS an Amazon and a Titaness AND she's been a superhero for like 10 years, so I think she'd put up a better fight than that. More evidence that Diana will return as the 'big hero' in this story.

All in all, I thought it was a good read.

Titans Together!
Old June 7th, 2006   Frank the Tank is offline   #51
Frank the Tank

I do not believe only one interpretation of WW should be labeled the "definitive" take. I thoroughly enjoyed the original Crisis reboot of WW. George Perez created a seminal run that re-energized the character for a new generation. He also erased the dual identity aspect of the character which provided for reader identification and the romantic side of the character. Bill Loebs, John Byrne and Phil Jiminez subsequently entertained us for years with variations on this take.

This being said, I have to agree with much of what Mr. Heinberg has had to say in interviews about the character of WW being essentially unaccessible.

Greg Rucka told an extremely well written, intriguing yarn that gave WW a terrific foil in Veronica Cale and an interesting supporting cast that altered the status quo while respecting the work of Mr. Perez. However, Mr. Rucka was unable to make the reader identify with WW. This may be by Mr. Rucka's own design given the last twenty years of continuity establishing WW as a super-powered warrior/embassador.

OK, MILD SPOILERS LURK BELOW:

Oh, who I am kidding. I'm not one for critical analysis. I thought Mr. Heinberg and Mr. and Mrs. Dodson gave us the most exciting, visually arresting 22 pages of balls to the wall WW ever! Whether you agree with the changes to the character or not, it gave us WW's greatest villains with a new coat of kick-***, her historical love interest restored, Sarge Steel, Nemesis, Donna Troy and Diana frickin' Prince. I would rate this issue as a solid "A" and I look forward to the next issue.

By the way, I couldn't access 4PointOh's review and would like to. Any chance you could re-post it here?

Old June 7th, 2006   Captain Calamity is offline   #52
Captain Calamity
Geoffan

Well, won't you be sorry when you missed the five-issue arc that restores Diana as a huge hero in her own right when she reclaims the mantle from Donna.

Seriously, what's with people not understanding that Donna's only temporary? She barely managed to do anything in this issue besides get captured and provide incentive for the 'real' Wonder Woman to return and save her? Do you honestly think they've replaced Diana, when she shows up on the last page? The story CLEARLY sets her up to be the hero!!!

Titans Together!
Old June 7th, 2006   Madison Lee is offline   #53
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

Now THIS is what I have been waiting for!!!
Everything that has been missing for WW for almost 20 years!!!
"My name is Donna Troy..and I am Wonder Woman."
Heinburg accomplishes in one issue what the last 10 WW writers couldnt do in entire runs.
This issue had action,adventure, humor and even a smidgen of romance.
Donna Troy as WW has been a LONG time coming, and she is more than up to the task!
At last we get a WW who is human and not invincible.She has doubts, but also confidense. And thanks the GODS we have the return of INNER MONOLOGUE!!!!!!
And before you know we have Wonder Woman vs the NEW AND IMPROVED CHEETAH!!! And GIGANTA!
No longer a freaky grotesque catwoman, Babs Minerva is now a sexy feline fetale, and Giganta trades in her Flintstones toga for a sleek uniform and a sassy new shorter hairstyle!!
So now we get some actual super-hero action!!! It has been so long, I was so confused..you mean Wonder Woman can fight???
Donna's WW armor seems to be a mix of Wonder Woman and the Star Riders and the traditional WW combat armor. AND HUGE bonus points for using her star earring as a weapon!!
The super groovy super spy Nemesis shows up as well,I have always loved that guy!
And just as things simply couldnt get much better, we have the return of Diana Prince!!
Pardon me while I do the Snoopy Dance!!

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old June 7th, 2006   Brian LaBelle is offline   #54
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

I really enjoyed it but it made me wish they would have killed off Dick, Wally, Garth and Roy.

Old June 7th, 2006   BrandonFordDodds is offline   #55
BrandonFordDodds
Geoffan

And before you know we have Wonder Woman vs the NEW AND IMPROVED CHEETAH!!! And GIGANTA!
No longer a freaky grotesque catwoman, Babs Minerva is now a sexy feline fetale, and Giganta trades in her Flintstones toga for a sleek uniform and a sassy new shorter hairstyle!!
ddf
Madison Lee
but, but I liked Giganta's Flintstone gear...

In new DCU, taco eats you. -Hernandez Didio
Old June 7th, 2006   Madison Lee is offline   #56
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

Yes I liked it on the Superfriends. I liked it being used in the past, but I am glad that she updated her look too.

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old June 7th, 2006   Nightwing826 is offline   #57
Nightwing826
The New Champion

Donna, please, stay as Wonder Woman!

The biggest Freddy Freeman fan.
Old June 7th, 2006   imarriedsatanII is offline   #58
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I love it!!!

Issue #1 is fantastic!

Please don't go away Mr. Heinberg. Please.

I am so friggin' excited over Agent Diana Prince, Donna Troy's role, Diana's Rogues, Steve and Nemesis!

I think I peed a little.

A++ on everything!!!

"Something profound" - Me
Old June 7th, 2006   carmine007 is offline   #59
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

. i was hoping for giganta to go back to being a super evolved ape but i guess you cant have everything.

it was actually fun! wow, its been awhile since i can say that about WW. i cant wait to see how the writer handles her. (his donna was pretty good, though i really have nothing to judge that against as i never really read much about her).

Dr. Psycho shaved? I can't help but be disapointed. I wonder what other villians show up. (paper man??)

when ww loses her powers she wears white??

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions
Old June 7th, 2006   carmine007 is offline   #60
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

but, but I liked Giganta's Flintstone gear...
ddf
BrandonFordDodds

ya put me down as a fan of her flintson gear. maybe she's wearing them as underwear?

Old June 7th, 2006   carmine007 is offline   #61
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

heinberg complained in wizard that WW supporting cast always changed when a new writer came on. so he has steve trevor back will he bring back Etta Candy?? COME ON!! you know you want too.

Old June 7th, 2006   Ion2814 is offline   #62
Ion2814
Neo Geoffan

I can't wait for the Ion/Wonder Woman team-up.

First time I picked up a Wonder Woman issue, and it was great. Hope they keep Donna around.

Old June 7th, 2006   Maplecroft is offline   #63
Maplecroft
The Fiddler of Azareth

no way, Donna is not my cup of tea(I am being polite so as to keep the rainbows colorful)

I rosin my bow with trigon's horn
Old June 7th, 2006   hoyatables is offline   #64
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

Awesome. Just awesome. Last two pages are the best part, in my mind. Suicide Squad is back, bay-bee!!!

Cannot wait for issue 2. Also excited to hear the story of why DT picked up the mantle in 52.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid