The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 7th, 2006   curiouswanderer is offline   #33
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

We're not dealing with the pre-Crisis Wonder Woman anyway. She's gone. The Wonder Woman for the past 20 years has not had a secret identity, and for good, sensible reasons. With her history, it just doesn't make sense for her to be adopting a secret identity. As an avid reader of her post-Crisis adventures, the concept seems very foreign for this character.

As for the politics, it's not a recent development, it's something that has always been a part of her character. What's recent is the more literal take on her political nature, but I'd say that was just a logical next step for the character. Originally, her mission was to be a teacher to mankind, to show them a better way. The implications are most certainly political. It's also an aspect that set Wonder Woman apart from all the other comic book characters who only dealt with "straightforward superheroics." But from what I've read so far, it seems like Heinberg is intent on moving the character backwards in every way possible, rather than letting her grow forward. I guess I'll find out later today if my suspicions are true, at least in part.
ddf
B_n_L
But couldn't it be considered as a logical character growth for this version to use a secret identity? For her (current) entire history, she has lived a 'privileged life' as an ambassador and princess. One of the building blocks set up in Infinite Crisis was that she had no common ground with the people she was trying to protect. It's like electing a millionaire mayor of a mining town. How can this person relate to normal life? I'm assuming (as I've not even read the issue yet and also do not have any idea of where Heinberg & Co. are going with the plot) that Diana has decided to live a life inwhich she can find some common ground with the people she has chosen to protect/represent.
So while, yes it can be seen as a step backwards due to the simple storylines and stereotypical characters from the pre-crisis years...why does the return to a secret identity have to mean the storylines will be the same as they were 30 years ago?

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old June 7th, 2006   imarriedsatanII is offline   #34
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

Bringing the sunshine and rainbows! (thread unlocked!)

And I strongly feel that Maddie has a good point.

"Something profound" - Me
Old June 7th, 2006   pimpernel is offline   #35
pimpernel
Geoffan

"Oh please?" Gosh, how polite of you to ask so nicely.
ddf
B_n_L
Yeah maybe that came across as a wee bit harsh. Sorry about that i was having a bad day and shouldn't have taken it out on you.

20 years is a relatively short time, yes..depending on what you are comparing it to. But for a large segment of comic readers, 20 years covers an entire generation, and is longer than those people have been reading comics. To many people, the post-Crisis version is the only one they've read.
ddf
Maybe so... but in the grand scheme of things she has still had the alter ego longer than she has not had it... we are hardly talking about introducing a passing fad here y'know?

As for the politics, it's not a recent development, it's something that has always been a part of her character. What's recent is the more literal take on her political nature, but I'd say that was just a logical next step for the character.
ddf
Well i don't entirely agree with this. Politics was never a part of Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman other than the politics people projected onto the character to further their own agendas.

Wonder Woman literally as a political figure is maybe five years old at most.

Wonder Woman has always had a message and a mission but it has very little to do with politics and i don't see Heinberg dumping those aspects.

Old June 7th, 2006   scotty2hotty is offline   #36
scotty2hotty
Advanced Geoffan

Sunshine, lollipops and wonder rainbows!
ddf
Madison Lee
Nice Leslie Gore quote there!
Just read Wonder Woman #1 and I am highly impressed. I won't ruin the fun for anyone, but I really loved it!!! The last page made my day!

Old June 7th, 2006   scotty2hotty is offline   #37
scotty2hotty
Advanced Geoffan

Oh and there is some Donna Troy stuff that made me happy too!

Old June 7th, 2006   Infernorhythm is offline   #38
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

God I hope Donna lives. She's far more interesting than Diana. In fact, as much as I despise seeing Donna as Wonder Woman (she should be her own person), I hope she stays and Diana bites the bullet.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old June 7th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #39
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

Awesome

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old June 7th, 2006   The Krystal Method is offline   #40
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

God I hope Donna lives. She's far more interesting than Diana. In fact, as much as I despise seeing Donna as Wonder Woman (she should be her own person), I hope she stays and Diana bites the bullet.
ddf
Infernorhythm

*points to the door*

See that door? Run before everyone in the WW forum declares you open bait for flamming.

Diana is amazing and for her to "bite the bullet" would be a waste of an amazing character. I'd take Diana over Roy Harper in a heartbeat.

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old June 7th, 2006   4PointOh is offline   #41
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

If anyone would care to read it, I've posted my review of WONDER WOMAN #1 on my MySpace blog. You can access it at the link below. Thanks.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...endID=31435330

Old June 7th, 2006   Hol is offline   #42
Hol
persona non grata

Great issue. I can't believe I enjoyed a Wonder Woman comic. Will the hits ever stop at DC these days?

Old June 7th, 2006   Ajax is offline   #43
Ajax

An excellent review 4Point0h. I am leaving this book on the rack. The idea of Donna, the character that was Diana (Wonder Girl) whose existence was made by an editorial oversight, is now Wonder Woman is not acceptable. The playing up Diana as a failure in her mission is appalling. I dropped this book back during Jimenez's run and it was Rucka's work that brought me back. Now it is back it's back on the rack.

Old June 7th, 2006   Matt Olsen is offline   #44
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

It was a fun comic, but I'll need to see some new hooks emerging for me to stick with it in the long term. I miss them rascally gods.

I'm man enough to admit that I was taken in my Dr. Psycho's handiwork, though. That scene was... alarming. It'll be interesting to see Diana's long-term role.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old June 7th, 2006   4PointOh is offline   #45
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

If anyone is interested, I posted my review of WONDER WOMAN #1 on my MySpace blog. You can access it from the link below. Thanks.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...endID=31435330

Old June 7th, 2006   FlashFan18 is offline   #46
FlashFan18

Never read WW before today, let me just say Donna looked like an awesome WW and this book was amazing. Maybe now I'll get into it.

Jamil
Old June 7th, 2006   FlashFan18 is offline   #47
FlashFan18

oh btw whos Diana Prince?

Jamil
Old June 7th, 2006   Jeff! is offline   #48
Jeff!

I loved this issue. It was so much fun. The art was fantastic. The only thing that was missing was Diana, even though we got to see Dodson draw her via flashbacks and Dr. Psycho. But, for some reason, I think we'll be seeing plenty of her in the issues to come.

I'm getting kinda anxious about what happens with the creative team after the first arc, though, because if the next four issues as good as this one I really don't want Heinberg to leave.