The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 6th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #17
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

interesting

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old June 6th, 2006   scotty2hotty is offline   #18
scotty2hotty
Advanced Geoffan

Sounds fun to me! Can't wait to read it!

Old June 6th, 2006   wonderick1 is offline   #19
wonderick1

Sounds like the start of something great!

Old June 6th, 2006   Astro@work is offline   #20
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Default 30 is the new 50

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Oh, and the villains holding Steve Trevor hostage are Cheetah, Dr. Psycho and Gigants.

ddf
4PointOh
Just curious how old the "captive" is in the story. Same age as in the prior run, or has this character been de-aged as part of the Wonder reboot?

Also, any clues to Diana's revised history on New Earth, or did they not really go there at all?

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old June 6th, 2006   4PointOh is offline   #21
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

I'm trying to find out that question myself Astro.

Old June 6th, 2006   Maplecroft is offline   #22
Maplecroft
The Fiddler of Azareth

I figure it will take 5 issues to find out if things are put right where I loved this title before it was canceled.SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Diana is wonder woman. if she's not back as wonder woman I am outta here!!!!r

I rosin my bow with trigon's horn
Old June 6th, 2006   Nightwing826 is offline   #23
Nightwing826
The New Champion

Donna will be the better Wonder Woman, but who knows there could be 2?

The biggest Freddy Freeman fan.
Old June 6th, 2006   Superman Prime is offline   #24
Superman Prime
Sexual Chocolate

Whoa, whoa. It IS Tuesday, right? How'd all ya'll get to read this book already? Previews from your LCS?

“Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear…until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share— I’ll never stop fighting. Ever.”[br]-- Superman, Action Comics #775
Old June 6th, 2006   curiouswanderer is offline   #25
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I figure it will take 5 issues to find out if things are put right where I loved this title before it was canceled.SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Diana is wonder woman. if she's not back as wonder woman I am outta here!!!!r

ddf
Maplecroft

Ah, I understand now. Thank you.

I really do not think that you have too much to be concerned over. DC set a precedent years ago with the Trinity. When the new stories were started with the JLA, Superman was still Clark Kent, Batman was still Bruce Wayne and Wonder Woman was still Diana be she Prince or princess. The other heroes they changed their alter egos. Could they do it now...sure. But if they were going to, Artemis would have never relenquished the title or Diana would have stayed dead and Hippolyta would be the one staring in the series. DC will never have anyone other than Diana be Wonder Woman when all is said and done. Thanks to Lynda Carter...it's how people recognize her. (And why* the Catwoman movie was such a HUGE flop...people already know from countless cartoons and the Tim Burton movie...Selina Kyle is Catwoman.) Wonder Woman is Diana. Its' just part of the story that's all.

Ok, so it's part of the reason the movie was a huge flop...the rest was it was just bad.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old June 6th, 2006   CrimeSyndicateCraig is offline   #26
CrimeSyndicateCraig
Eat paintbrush!

I've read the book tonight, and I gotta say I was amazed. This is a great book and it's a shame people put spoilers up because it's better to judge for yourself as you read the book. Spoilers totally kill the suprises too. Don't let some "Donna vs. Diana, as Wonder Woman" thing guide you. This book is for Wonder Woman fans. And because of this book, I'm more of a Wonder Woman fan now then I ever was.

Thanks for the incredible read Mr. Heinberg and Mr. and Mrs. Dodson!!!

Old June 6th, 2006   B_n_L is offline   #27
B_n_L
Neo Geoffan

Yeah, but what's this crap about a secret ID and dropping the politics I've heard about?

Old June 6th, 2006   Madison Lee is offline   #28
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

Wow this sounds delightful!

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old June 6th, 2006   The Spectre is offline   #29
The Spectre
Spirit of Vengeance

Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow! It sounds pretty awesome.

Justice Society of America is the best super-team ever!!!
Old June 7th, 2006   pimpernel is offline   #30
pimpernel
Geoffan

Yeah, but what's this crap about a secret ID and dropping the politics I've heard about?
ddf
B_n_L
Oh please... the politics and the lack of a secret ID has only been a part of Wonder Woman for a relatively small period of time... its no biggie to get rid of those IMHO.

Old June 7th, 2006   pimpernel is offline   #31
pimpernel
Geoffan

I've read the book tonight, and I gotta say I was amazed. This is a great book and it's a shame people put spoilers up because it's better to judge for yourself as you read the book. Spoilers totally kill the suprises too. Don't let some "Donna vs. Diana, as Wonder Woman" thing guide you. This book is for Wonder Woman fans. And because of this book, I'm more of a Wonder Woman fan now then I ever was.

Thanks for the incredible read Mr. Heinberg and Mr. and Mrs. Dodson!!!
ddf
CrimeSyndicateCraig
Cool.

What about Steve Trevor? Is he younger looking? Any mention of Etta? Do you think Steve might be being set up as Diana's love interest?

Old June 7th, 2006   B_n_L is offline   #32
B_n_L
Neo Geoffan

Oh please... the politics and the lack of a secret ID has only been a part of Wonder Woman for a relatively small period of time... its no biggie to get rid of those IMHO.
ddf
pimpernel
"Oh please?" Gosh, how polite of you to ask so nicely. 20 years is a relatively short time, yes..depending on what you are comparing it to. But for a large segment of comic readers, 20 years covers an entire generation, and is longer than those people have been reading comics. To many people, the post-Crisis version is the only one they've read.

We're not dealing with the pre-Crisis Wonder Woman anyway. She's gone. The Wonder Woman for the past 20 years has not had a secret identity, and for good, sensible reasons. With her history, it just doesn't make sense for her to be adopting a secret identity. As an avid reader of her post-Crisis adventures, the concept seems very foreign for this character.

As for the politics, it's not a recent development, it's something that has always been a part of her character. What's recent is the more literal take on her political nature, but I'd say that was just a logical next step for the character. Originally, her mission was to be a teacher to mankind, to show them a better way. The implications are most certainly political. It's also an aspect that set Wonder Woman apart from all the other comic book characters who only dealt with "straightforward superheroics." But from what I've read so far, it seems like Heinberg is intent on moving the character backwards in every way possible, rather than letting her grow forward. I guess I'll find out later today if my suspicions are true, at least in part.