The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 10th, 2006   Raymond Virata is offline   #161
Raymond Virata

When did Donna get buff?

Old June 10th, 2006   chasm is offline   #162
chasm
Master Geoffan

You know, it might be an interesting set up if Donna were to become the fulltime Wonder Woman with training & support from her silent partner, Diana Prince, who still has her powers but would rather explore her humanity. But again, this feels like a temporary set up. The JLA preview already shows Diana back in the tiara. And I would like to see Donna return to her new role as a Harbinger and goddess of the moon.

Old June 10th, 2006   Switchblade is offline   #163
Switchblade
Neo Geoffan

Well despite trying and failing to get into Wonder Woman's previous series, I picked this one up anyway as it's a good jumping on point and am a huge fan of the Dodsons and well... I had a lot of fun reading it. Can't say I've ever really cared about Donna Troy but I did like seeing her trying to live up to WW's name and costume. I loved the last page of Diana Prince too. I sorta hope that really is WW as I kinda missed her having a secret identity and couldn't warm to her in recent years.

So anyway... yeah surprisingly I loved it.

And there was me trying to cut down on comics...

Old June 10th, 2006   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #164
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

The biggest problem with Donna becoming Wonder Woman is that it's a complete wimp-out. Rucka set up a complex situation, where Diana was forced to kill a man to save the Earth, and must deal with the consequences of her actions. Just shoving Diana offscreen --"She's in hiding"-- and letting Donna be the New Wonder Woman is side-stepping the story instead of dealing with it. My theory is, Heinberg's gonna do his arc, then Rucka (Hopefully) or someone with come in and do 'The Trial of Wonder Woman' and get everything (or most everything) tidied up and wrapped up.

I Love The Monkey's Uncle And I'm Mad About His Chimpanzee.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Old June 10th, 2006   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #165
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

As for Cheetah and Giganta again, as I said, the main problem is that they're interchangable 'evil babes.' One of the best things about both Marston's and the post-Crisis WW is that all the women weren't strikingly attractive and/or basically the same face and body with different clothes and hairdos. It's like if Solomon Grundy and Doctor Sivana both turned up looking like Brad Pitt.

Old June 10th, 2006   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #166
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

I don't understand folks who find issue with the "new" Cheetah. So she isnt a laughable cat-person anymore...so what? How is she less dangerous? She has been taken out easily before she lost her fur.
It is ONE YEAR LATER, alot has happened. It is also post Infninite Crisis, where some things have been adjusted.
And YES Donna could take out any version of the Cheetah, I enjoy that she doesnt stop to cry. Donna has been in the game nearly as long as Di *post IC*.
And issue 2 isnt even out yet, so I am sure Cheetah will bring out her claws.
ddf
Madison Lee

Yep. Now she's a REALLY laughable cat-person. "Look, as I take on a person who went toe-to-toe with Superman, armed with my THREE TRAINED CHEETAHS!"

The powers are the least problematical. It's always possible Cheetah's still fast, strong, etc. as ever. The problem is, there was a complex, disturbing, terrifying character here who's apparently been flushed and replaced with The Same Old Thing, Again.

Old June 10th, 2006   Filipe is offline   #167
Filipe

My theory is, Heinberg's gonna do his arc, then Rucka (Hopefully) or someone with come in and do 'The Trial of Wonder Woman' and get everything (or most everything) tidied up and wrapped up.
ddf
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Sorry, not happening and that was already clear the moment the cancelation of previous series was announced. There's no way they are doing a big arc that ties heavily into stuff from the previous series this early, that goes completly against the whole concept of #1 which is attract new readers and got avoid too much continuity baggage. Diana killing Max is being andressed in this arc (from Donna being Wonder Woman to the "Steve Trevor" kidnapping set-up), but don't expect it to be a major plot point any time in the future. That story was done by the end of IC and any larger development of its aftermath will show up in 52, not Wonder Woman.

I can easily see this arc ending with Diana restored as WW, or with Donna getting some respect and Diana become a major supporting carachter in the book (I guess Justice League of America #1 will spoil this to us).

Old June 10th, 2006   Madison Lee is offline   #168
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

The Prankster can go to toe with Superman, so I tend not to use him as a measuring stick for foes.
And as I said I love the new Cheetah, couldnt stand the actual cat version, ever. I understand why folks loved her and such, but I like sassy glam villains as opposed to ugly icky catpeople. It is the drag queen in me.
And when gay men take over the book it tends to revert back to more 70's sensibilities than to vertigo-esque grotesque.
Be happy, I am sure when the next writer comes aboard she will go back to using the litter box.

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old June 10th, 2006   Askanipsion is offline   #169
Askanipsion
Geoffan

but his run is only 5 issues.
ddf
B_n_L
Ugg I thought he would be doing at least 12 issues. So far the 1st issue is impressive.

Suprises me cause Marvel gave the "X-Men" current writer Milligan 12+ issues contract and his work on "X-Men" has been terrible.

Heinberg's "Young Avengers " has been selling good and the fans love it.

I guess DC is being extra cautious since they really wanna make a big impact with WW and if it falls through they can bring someone in quick.

BRING BACK LILITH !!!!

DC save the "Titans"!!
Old June 10th, 2006   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #170
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

Actually, if I understand correctly, it's more that Heinberg only has time to commit to five issues. He'd love to do more, they'd love to have him do more (Especially now that he's hit it out of the park, sales-wise), but he's got a lot of prior commitments he has to honor first.

Old June 11th, 2006   Cammy is offline   #171
Cammy
Advanced Geoffan

I thought the issue was interesting, and I'm especially glad to see ties with the old Wonder Woman series with Cheetah appearing but still a fresh start with Cheetah being human. The art by Dodson was awesome, I really loved how they made Wonder Woman look. I'll be interested in seeing which one will be the new Wonder Woman, Diana or Donna.

Bag me a comic, I'll be back for breakfast.
Old June 11th, 2006   windriderx is offline   #172
windriderx

i personally love the idea of donna being the fulltime ww. she looks amazing in the front of the book!!!! her costume rocks!!!!

do you know what happens to a toad when it stroke by lightning? lol
Old June 11th, 2006   crawfordcrow is offline   #173
crawfordcrow
Uber Geoffan

I put this in another thread, but...

I'm on full wait-and-see mode. I'm a huge WW fan, and have all of the last series (not to mention several of the first series, going back to #20, and a few Sensation Comics, to boot). Maybe it's because I had really high hopes for this. Maybe it's because Rucka spoiled me. But, well...

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
The art was nice, although losing Giganta's leopard-print outfit was a bummer. I do prefer the vain human Cheetah (although, to me, that's best exemplified by Priscilla Rich), and I thought the dialogue was decent. Seeing Nemesis was cool, and the white outfit is fun, although it hasn't been that long since we last saw it. Donna as Wonder Woman doesn't excite me, and since it seems clear that it won't last, doesn't really bother me, either. It's just... eh.

The story was okay... nice twists, but I'm left feeling notably unimpressed. I'll be staying tuned, though.

Old June 11th, 2006   dynakor is offline   #174
dynakor
being boring

I liked the first issue of Wonder Woman! Can't wait to see more!

Korey

Old June 12th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #175
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Hey, a friend of mine just put up a history of Nemesis -- Part One and Part Two -- in case anyone wants info on him.

Old June 13th, 2006   The Krystal Method is offline   #176
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

It's like if Solomon Grundy and Doctor Sivana both turned up looking like Brad Pitt.
ddf
Flying Saucers Over Oz
That would be pretty cool though, haha.

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."