The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 9th, 2006   Madison Lee is offline   #145
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

LOVE IT!!
5 issues of Donna! I think she deserves AT LEAST that much.
I have always loved Donna over Diana since NTT#1. She is Diana with an actual personality and vulnerablities.
DC owes Donna as much after all the crud they put her through post-Crisis. Now Post-Inifnite Crisis will undo much of the damage done to her.
I love Diana and she will be in the suit soon enough, so I will enjoy Donna having some spotlight for awhile!!

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old June 9th, 2006   kipster is offline   #146
kipster
Super Hero Support

I totally agree. Donna comes across as a much more human, and relateable character than Diana.

LOVE IT!!
I have always loved Donna over Diana since NTT#1. She is Diana with an actual personality and vulnerablities.
DC owes Donna as much after all the crud they put her through post-Crisis. Now Post-Inifnite Crisis will undo much of the damage done to her.
I love Diana and she will be in the suit soon enough, so I will enjoy Donna having some spotlight for awhile!!
ddf
Madison Lee

Old June 9th, 2006   DCUBoyMW is offline   #147
DCUBoyMW

I just put up my review of Wonder Woman #1 <a href=
"http://continuityblog.blogspot.com/2006/06/shes-back.html">here</a>. Check it out!

Old June 9th, 2006   DCUBoyMW is offline   #148
DCUBoyMW

Okay sorry about that last post. lol I'm an idiot . The review is here

Old June 9th, 2006   vh4ever is offline   #149
vh4ever*
DOOM!

I enjoyed the book and am readily looking forward to the remainder of this...I was pleased to see Tom Tresser...that was cool as I was just wondering about his status in the DCU...

...here's hoping the upcoming Flash book can pull me back in...

Old June 9th, 2006   Ghaliya is offline   #150
Ghaliya

If anyone would care to read it, I've posted my review of WONDER WOMAN #1 on my MySpace blog. You can access it at the link below. Thanks.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...endID=31435330
ddf
4PointOh
Excellent review 4PointOh, and one that I completely agree with. In the end, I want a complex, well-written comic - this one issue felt like candy. I could care less if Diana has a secret identity or not, but if the rest of the issues will be written this way I'll be disappointed. Thanks for posting your review.

Old June 9th, 2006   CapeandCowl is offline   #151
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

Question....isn't Diana Prince a pretty lousy secret ID for Wonder Woman? She looks like WW, who the whole world knew was named Diana....

Old June 9th, 2006   Primal Slayer is offline   #152
Primal Slayer
Geoffan

Then how did Donna go from being a young teenage girl when the Teen Titans were formed, to a young woman in her early 20's now? She's obviously older now than she was 30 years ago, and does age.
ddf
kipster
easy, they grow to a certain age and stop ageing or it takes them very long to show that they are ageing when they hit their prime.

Old June 10th, 2006   Piper is offline   #153
Piper
Master Geoffan

I'll give you an example of how it can be done right - "Villains United" #1 and the first appearance of Catman. We all had a lot of questions about how he had transformed himself and what his motivations were (which is all good because that gets you to come back next issue), but it was absolutely clear from VU #1 that Catman was now someone to be reckoned with.
ddf
reasonablefan1
I completely disagree. Cheetah does look intimidating to me. Her attitude just oozes through. She looks more dangerous to me than both Catman and Catwoman. Just because she doesn't look like a Cheetah doesn't mean she isn't as deadly a fighter. I think she comes across as more dangerous than before because she doesn't seem as crazed; she seems in complete control, as she states in the issue.

Gail did a GREAT job with revamping Catman, and I'm not knocking it at all, but the only thing VU#1 did was show that he's got a buff body and he won't just do what he's told, and that was really only at the beginning. The rest of the issue he was both written and drawn as pretty much an average buff guy. He didn't really start coming across as someone to be reckoned with until about the 2nd or 3rd issue.

I don't really care how the Cheetah changed - I'm sure it is an interesting story that will be told at some point, and that's cool. I dislike the revamp because this new Cheetah seems to be about as dangerous as a circus line tamer. Maybe the cats are "magic cheetahs" but they just looked like big cats and the fact that Donna couldn't take them all out in 2 minutes did not leave me w/ the impression that Cheetah was tough, it left me w/ the impression that Donna was inept.[/quote]

LOVE IT!!
ddf
Madison Lee
Yeah, but she should get it in her own book. Heinberg is using her nicely, but I would also really like to be able to read a book about Wonder Woman.

The Flash: Fastest Man Alive #12
(...3x2 (9yz)4a)
Old June 10th, 2006   impulse1999 is offline   #154
impulse1999
Advanced Geoffan

I must say I am shocked the Allan is keeping Donna as WW.... Hmmmm. Especially given how much they have strived to ensure she is "her own person". Not to mention the JLA preview....

DCnU? We'll see....
Old June 10th, 2006   Ion2814 is offline   #155
Ion2814
Neo Geoffan

I don't see what's the problem with Donna as Wonder Woman for while. Diana DIDN'T work and she ended murdering someone. We saw how Donna reacted to that, and Donna most likely knows the whole story behind Max and Superman/Batman. I have a feeling Donna will continue as Wonder Woman until Diana comes to terms with a number of things.

And another reason I like it is that I have a feeling Kyle Rayner's going to soon be able to say he's dating Wonder Woman.

Old June 10th, 2006   Ajax is offline   #156
Ajax

I don't see what's the problem with Donna as Wonder Woman for while. Diana DIDN'T work and she ended murdering someone. We saw how Donna reacted to that, and Donna most likely knows the whole story behind Max and Superman/Batman. I have a feeling Donna will continue as Wonder Woman until Diana comes to terms with a number of things.

And another reason I like it is that I have a feeling Kyle Rayner's going to soon be able to say he's dating Wonder Woman.
ddf
Ion2814
Oh, god forbid someone stop a genocidal egomaniac in control of Superman. Yes, Max Lord's plan would have been so much better.

Old June 10th, 2006   danilo is offline   #157
danilo

great first issue!
wonderful!

Old June 10th, 2006   The Krystal Method is offline   #158
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

I'm thinking Diana did some research on Diana Prince and probably went under the persona of "Diana Prince" as a tribute to all the contributions Diana Prince made. So while she was out "finding herself" she became an agent!

I know some of you are saying, "but uh, it's kinda obvious that that's Diana if that's the case, how come no one has noticed?" Hey, if Clark/Supes can put on a pair of glasses and be undetectable to the whole world, then so can Diana :P

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old June 10th, 2006   mykle1616 is offline   #159
mykle1616

Actually, it DOES make sense to have Donna as WW for now. And her inability to effectively take down the villains is also valid. I've yet to read the actual issue, but based on Donna's own expressed feelings in the past, it does make sense. The time Clayface took some of Diana's clay from her is a prime example. But I need to backtrack a little also.

Back when Donna was Wonder Girl, yes, it would have been a natural progression to see her eventually become Wonder Woman. But once she became Troia, that need was no longer valid. IMHO, Donna surpassed the Wonder Woman role. She became her own heroine. Much as I really don't see Dick ever taking over the Bat mantle permanantly. Honestly, all the original Titans have outgrown that except for Wally, and even then, I never really liked him as the Flash. It worked, but he's the only one that really would because that's how he defined himself. Speedy became Arsenal, Aqualad became Tempest, Wonder Girl became Troia, and Robin became Nightwing. And honestly, they have all surpassed their "teachers". They have evolved in their own personalities and ideas and lives.

Donna has been many things in her short life, but even as a goddess she retains the one quality that did place her above Diana...her humanity. Diana, for all her powers and ideas, simply cannot be seen as Human. She is about perfect in every way, and it shows. She's not a snob, but the first impression one gets from her is that she is royalty, and she carries herself as such. Yes, first impressions can be horribly wrong, but most people don't or can't get past that. It has been ingrained so much into the public eye (thanks, Myndi!!) so that when one enters a room where Diana and Donna are, most of them would gravitate to Donna. That showed when Hippolyte did her coronation. She was like, um, ok, whatever. Just because I'm technically a princess doesn't make me one. She's REAL. Donna is Diana's Clark Kent. Raised by normal people, she has normalacy about her in a way Diana never can.

Seeing Donna in the WW role is kind of cool, every now and again. But again, it wouldn't work as a permanant thing. She has even said she's not ready for the role, as I think she knows she would indeed have to be PERFECT to live up to it. And Donna is far from perfect and she embraces that. Thus, I can see her not fighting effectively, because she is also worrying about not screwing up. Yet Donna is also loyal enough that if Diana asked her to, she would fill in. Or if she truly felt the need for there to be a WW, she would take it on, because she is a devoted person. I can't honestly see Cassie donning the WW title either, at least not right now. I still don't quite know what happened to make her go from it's all fun and games Wonder Girl to Wonder B**ch. Cassie definately has the anger to take on the Warrior bit of the job, but she lacks the "ambassador" skills it takes, also.

For those who don't like Donna, or don't like Donna as WW, like they already said, let her have her time. I think in the long run it will help sway others to see that she is NOT WW, because she has surpassed that need. Donna IS Troia. Troia is WW Lite, and Diana is WW. And there is a place for both in the world.

Old June 10th, 2006   B_n_L is offline   #160
B_n_L
Neo Geoffan

I must say I am shocked the Allan is keeping Donna as WW.... Hmmmm. Especially given how much they have strived to ensure she is "her own person". Not to mention the JLA preview....
ddf
impulse1999
Well, keep in mind that he only said that Donna would be WW during his run, but his run is only 5 issues. I'm sure at the end of that time, Diana will be back in the role, especially when considering the JLA preview you mentioned.