The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old December 18th, 2005   Ragnell is offline   #97
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Amentep -- Too True.

Everyone --

Okay, I'm going to link to this post here rather than start a new thread because we're all talking about her anyway, and it might have a bearing on the conversion. See, this blogger has a fascinating point and I'd liek to hear what some of you think about it.

How would Jade measure up as a male character?

Old January 13th, 2006   onewhowishes is offline   #98
onewhowishes

perhaps,as aGreen Lantern,and a superhero she should defend her own honor.

Old January 13th, 2006   imarriedsatanII is offline   #99
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

What needs to happen for Jade:

1) Powers amped -- everything including wood seems to break/burst her constructs. Put Jennie-Lynn in the big leagues with daddy.

2) Reconnect her with her adoptive parents -- Screw that GL story that threw out continuity. Someone didn't do their homework, and that's that! Let's see her interact with her real family. Give her a larger supporting cast than Alan, Kyle and the Outsiders.

3) Let Jade be the clear victor in some battles -- Jennie-Lynn gets stomped on in fights more times than not. Give the girl some notches for her belt fergodsake!

4) Love interest that's not a GL -- Brainwave comes to mind. I liked her with Hank. This would make him a lesser character if he appeared from time to time in her book (or team book). I agree with Ragnell that I get sick of seeing Jade played as supporting character. Let her move beyond that.

5) Don't tie her too tightly to the GL mythos -- She didn't start out a GL, she was a kid of the JSA. Making her "just another GL" lessens her import.

6) Give her a life outside of heroing -- She can return to her normal appearance... wish someone would remember that. Let her get a job or start a serious career. Give the readers a few good "day in the life of... " stories in the vein of Marv Wolfman's NTT run.

Oh, and Ragnell, I seem to have missed why you dislike Donna so much. She's my favorite character (granted, she hasn't been handled all that splendidly of late, but... ). Again, Wolfman did a marvelous job of endearing Donna to many a reader. His Donna Troy is the definitive as far as I'm concerned.

"Something profound" - Me
Old January 13th, 2006   PeterCool is offline   #100
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

I think Jade is going to die.

"You've got to be smart if you're fooling yourself"

-- Aimee Mann
Old January 13th, 2006   Ion81 is offline   #101
Ion81
persona non grata

God I hope so , she is a bit to trampy for my tastes

Old January 13th, 2006   trueheir82 is offline   #102
trueheir82

I think Jade is going to die.
ddf
PeterCool
I think I have to agree with you on that. she hasnt really had that much of a presence lately.

Old January 13th, 2006   Sk8maven is offline   #103
Sk8maven
persona non grata

Oh dear - and we'll have to listen to Alan giving a sob spiel about how "No parent should have to bury their child"? (I realize Bernard Hill had good intentions, but that's still one of the most cringe-worthy lines in Jackson's LoTR!)

Maven

Old January 13th, 2006   curiouswanderer is offline   #104
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

What needs to happen for Jade:

1) Powers amped -- everything including wood seems to break/burst her constructs. Put Jennie-Lynn in the big leagues with daddy.

2) Reconnect her with her adoptive parents -- Screw that GL story that threw out continuity. Someone didn't do their homework, and that's that! Let's see her interact with her real family. Give her a larger supporting cast than Alan, Kyle and the Outsiders.

3) Let Jade be the clear victor in some battles -- Jennie-Lynn gets stomped on in fights more times than not. Give the girl some notches for her belt fergodsake!

4) Love interest that's not a GL -- Brainwave comes to mind. I liked her with Hank. This would make him a lesser character if he appeared from time to time in her book (or team book). I agree with Ragnell that I get sick of seeing Jade played as supporting character. Let her move beyond that.

5) Don't tie her too tightly to the GL mythos -- She didn't start out a GL, she was a kid of the JSA. Making her "just another GL" lessens her import.

6) Give her a life outside of heroing -- She can return to her normal appearance... wish someone would remember that. Let her get a job or start a serious career. Give the readers a few good "day in the life of... " stories in the vein of Marv Wolfman's NTT run.

Oh, and Ragnell, I seem to have missed why you dislike Donna so much. She's my favorite character (granted, she hasn't been handled all that splendidly of late, but... ). Again, Wolfman did a marvelous job of endearing Donna to many a reader. His Donna Troy is the definitive as far as I'm concerned.
ddf
imarriedsatanII

Sounds like a good start for a series of her own. Send her back out to LA to work on her photog career and let her go at it. Any takers?

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old January 14th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #105
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

All depends on who's writing it.

If Rucka writes it, yes. Morrison, definately. Same with Robinson, he's good with legacies. Johns, maybe.

But Marz (Sorry Ron), no. Winnick neither. Raab, definately not. -- I've seen the Jade from these three and I do not like what I've seen at all.

Old January 14th, 2006   curiouswanderer is offline   #106
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I agree there. I would like to see Gail or Jen Van Meter take a stab at one.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old January 14th, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #107
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I agree there. I would like to see Gail or Jen Van Meter take a stab at one.
ddf
curiouswanderer

Interesting word choice there...

Old January 14th, 2006   Warren Worthington is offline   #108
Warren Worthington
Rexually Active

yeah..............raab isn't that great when it comes to characterizing jade......or ollie and kyle too by the way........