The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 30th, 2009   Drink is offline   #65
Drink
Official Scofflaw

Someone's taking the "Comic" part of the Comic-Con name far too seriously. Comic-Con is a big deal. Far more so for movie news than comic news. When directors want to get the hype started for their big movie tentpole projects coming out the following year? Comic-Con is the first place they go. Hype for The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Star Trek and Twilight ALL started at the SDCC. And with both the IM *and* Twilight sequels, the hype started there again this year.

The idea that "no one cares about Comic-Con" is quite amusing. Here's the thing: Its actually the comic reading people (possibly the comic companies as well) who are coming to realize that Comic-Con is not really the place to unveil big announcements, or do anything heavily comic-related.
ddf
SageShinigami View Post
So explain why most mainstream coverage of Comic-Con is "LOL Lookit all the unwashed neckbearded virgins in creepy crappy costumes!!!"

Old July 30th, 2009   Drink is offline   #66
Drink
Official Scofflaw

For example, you'll notice that the Variety article in question not once mentions that any of these announcements came from any sort of Con, Comic or otherwise.

Old July 30th, 2009   Drink is offline   #67
Drink
Official Scofflaw

Crap, my bad, disregard my ramblings.

Old December 21st, 2009   Elias is offline   #68
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From /film:
Hawkman Movie Next For Warner Bros?

Old December 22nd, 2009   Jake1823 is offline   #69
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I think the best thing for Hawkman would be to do it Pixar style. Otherwise, it looks like Smallville.

Where is everybody?
Old December 22nd, 2009   TJLamb0518 is offline   #70
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I think the best thing for Hawkman would be to do it Pixar style. Otherwise, it looks like Smallville.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I have to agree. Hawkman...the costume really is a hard sell for real life. If you're not careful, you get:

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old December 22nd, 2009   JRM is offline   #71
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I have to agree. Hawkman...the costume really is a hard sell for real life. If you're not careful, you get:

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
GAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old December 23rd, 2009   Elias is offline   #72
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From Collider:
Producer Dan Lin on the JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie, SUICIDE SQUAD, and Stephen King’s IT

He also confirmed what I’d been hearing about WB’s plans for their DC superhero movies and that’s “they’re unveiling their DC strategy in January”. Meaning, we’re probably going to hear what other DC characters are getting movies very soon!
ddf

Old October 9th, 2010   Elias is offline   #74
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From Heat Vision:
Warner Bros. expects to release at least one DC superhero movie each year

Old February 1st, 2013   Elias is offline   #75
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Will Legendary CEO Thomas Tull Quit Warner's? Tension High Over NYT Piece (The Wrap Exclusive)

Old February 4th, 2013   Elias is offline   #76
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

The New York Times:
Film Financier Faces a Critical Juncture

Old May 31st, 2013   jafabian is offline   #77
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From Superherohype: Zack Snyder and Hans Zimmer on the Future of the Big Screen DC Universe

Old May 31st, 2013   JRM is offline   #78
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Humm - don't care about spin. Simple solution - tell strong stories with powerful themes. Get a clear, clean script. Find a director that understands and respects the source material. Get actors that feel like the comic brought to life and that have good chemistry. Don't try to do everything - focus on internal unity. It isn't that hard - Marvel figured it mostly out, what over a decade ago. DC - ummmmmmmm mmmmmm .... nuff said.

Oh yeah, shorten the period between movies, to the point that most don't care.

Perhaps just hire the driving force behind the Marvel adaptions. <shrug>

Jim

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old May 31st, 2013   Eric Q is offline   #79
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Humm - don't care about spin. Simple solution - tell strong stories with powerful themes. Get a clear, clean script. Find a director that understands and respects the source material. Get actors that feel like the comic brought to life and that have good chemistry. Don't try to do everything - focus on internal unity. It isn't that hard - Marvel figured it mostly out, what over a decade ago. DC - ummmmmmmm mmmmmm .... nuff said.

Oh yeah, shorten the period between movies, to the point that most don't care.

Perhaps just hire the driving force behind the Marvel adaptions. <shrug>

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
They should respect the source material to a certain extent because what may work in one medium may not work in another.

I do agree they shouldn't do everything, they should follow the Nolan motto of focusing on the movie they're making now, not the sequel.

I don't know about hiring Marvel movie staff, it doesn't mean that hiring them that they will take the right approach on DC properties.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old June 1st, 2013   JRM is offline   #80
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

They should respect the source material to a certain extent because what may work in one medium may not work in another.

I do agree they shouldn't do everything, they should follow the Nolan motto of focusing on the movie they're making now, not the sequel.

I don't know about hiring Marvel movie staff, it doesn't mean that hiring them that they will take the right approach on DC properties.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
I was mostly joking about the staff thing, more to comment on how one company seems to be more or less getting it right and the other ... ummmm, not so much.

About the respecting the source material - to clarify - I do not want slavish following, because I do agree - somethings don't work as well as, some traditional (ie been around forever, ideas, are either dated or kinda just plain suck.) but the characters, the setting and the themes need to feel, well right.

I think that DC actually on their animated TV production have more or less got this balance right, without being clones of the comics.

The LSH ... RIP