The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old March 29th, 2010   Augustine is offline   #1
Augustine
We win. My friend.

Default Godzilla getting another go as film

Second time around the key?

Unlikely to be a sequel to the horrible first US Godzilla movie will this one actually please the Godzilla faithful, can a US Godzilla movie work? Or will this be another GINO.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old March 29th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #2
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I liked the one with Matthew Broderick, though I thought Godzilla looked too real. Godzilla is supposed to look like a man in a rubber suit!

Old March 29th, 2010   imnosuperman is offline   #3
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

I liked the one with Matthew Broderick, though I thought Godzilla looked too real. Godzilla is supposed to look like a man in a rubber suit!
ddf
jafabian View Post
And the buildings are supposed to be models, not actual buildings! What gives?!

On a serious note, I find this interesting. Hopefully we'll even see another monster in this movie as well. Just think what an updated King Ghidora would look like...

Will Work For Comics

Like RPing? Then check this forum out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/DC_The_New_Heroes
Old March 29th, 2010   JordanGLC is offline   #4
JordanGLC

Might be? No, this is happening. Here's Legendary Picture's press release. You might want to change the name of this thread to Godzilla (2012) or something like that.

Old March 29th, 2010   Doug Zawisza is offline   #5
Doug Zawisza
Most Excellent Superbat

Might be? No, this is happening. Here's Legendary Picture's press release. You might want to change the name of this thread to Godzilla (2012) or something like that.
ddf
JordanGLC View Post
from that link:
Toho’s GODZILLA franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, video games and more than 25 films worldwide.
ddf
Series of books? What? When was there a series of Godzilla books? How did I learn to read without these?!??!

Old March 29th, 2010   Elias is offline   #6
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From Heat Vision:
Godzilla stomping back to theaters via Legendary

From Variety:
'Godzilla' stomps back to screen - Legendary Pictures gets rights to iconic monster

From Deadline:
Do We Really Need Another Godzilla Movie?

Old March 29th, 2010   Elias is offline   #7
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default Godzilla Books

Series of books? What? When was there a series of Godzilla books? How did I learn to read without these?!??!
ddf
Doug Zawisza View Post
Marc Cerasini wrote a few books in the 90s.
http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Retur...9914229&sr=8-1

You should also check out these books:
Japan's Favorite Mon-Star: The Unauthorized Biography of "The Big G" by Steve Ryfle

Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters: Defending the Earth with Ultraman and Godzilla by August Ragone

A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla® Series by David Kalat

Old March 30th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #8
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Those books are cool and worth a read by any Godzilla fan.

They must have had one heck of a pitch...since Toho was really ticked off about the 1998 American film....though we have Toho's ire at GINO to thank for the Millenium Godzilla films..

I'm not sure it's a good thing though. American filmmakers don't really get Godzilla's appeal, nor will it fair well in Hollywood's movie by committee atmosphere.....

I know Toho is "taking a rest" from Godzilla movies right now. But I wish they'd go back to them sometime soon. Though if Hollywood makes a bad Godzilla movie, Toho will do what it did after the 1998 movie and rush out their own "New" Big G movie...

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old March 30th, 2010   darthlucifuge is offline   #9
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Any American Godzilla film will be a GINO film. Rubber suit or bust.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old March 30th, 2010   Augustine is offline   #10
Augustine
We win. My friend.

I got to admit, I'm a Godzilla fan but I got no idea WHY it has to be a rubber suit or model cars or jets or whatever.

I've always wanted a big budget Godzilla movie that had him just ripping everything apart, is that too much to ask for? Or am I just one of those people that want a happy middle reached from both sides of the ocean.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old March 30th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #11
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

It has to do with the fact that the Big G's fans are even more wedded to tradition than Comic book fans.....and the suits have evolved a lot since the beginning and are much fiercer looking since the nineties..

And most of us Godzilla fans tolerate the other stuff while waiting for the building stomping and monster fights to begin....

Old March 30th, 2010   Amentep is offline   #12
Amentep

I highly recommend Ragone's book if you have any interest in Eiji Tsuburaya. Its a direct bio of him rather than a look at Godzilla films, so it covers all of his many years in special effects, including War films (his model version of Pearl Harbor done for propaganda purposes during the war was so realistic that the US Occupation forces thought he had to have been a spy in Hawaii to be so accurate), non-giant monster special effects films (like War in Space or The H Man) and Ultraman.

Any American Godzilla film will be a GINO film. Rubber suit or bust.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
I don't really agree but I do think that Godzilla needs to, well, resemble Godzilla.

Old March 30th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #13
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I'd sort of want to see a Rodriguez Godzilla movie.

Hey, he could even make Rose McGowan be Godzilla!

Old March 30th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #14
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Tsuburaya did a lot of special effects and established a studio that is still producing Ultraman to this day. He was a master at special effects and the Japanese genre known as Tokusatsu. Including some in the category called Henshin Heroes (Henshin means Transform in Japanese), Jumborg Ace and Fireman....

August Ragone is well known to a lot of us who are into the Japanese Tokusatsu or live action special effects. He's an expert in the old stuff that I love and is one of the top experts on Toku....

Tokusatsu, especially the Super Sentai sub category, are things I love....

Old March 30th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #15
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I'd sort of want to see a Rodriguez Godzilla movie.

Hey, he could even make Rose McGowan be Godzilla!
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
Godzilla with breasts????

Old March 30th, 2010   Amentep is offline   #16
Amentep

Tsuburaya did a lot of special effects and established a studio that is still producing Ultraman to this day. He was a master at special effects and the Japanese genre known as Tokusatsu. Including some in the category called Henshin Heroes (Henshin means Transform in Japanese), Jumborg Ace and Fireman....

August Ragone is well known to a lot of us who are into the Japanese Tokusatsu or live action special effects. He's an expert in the old stuff that I love and is one of the top experts on Toku....

Tokusatsu, especially the Super Sentai sub category, are things I love....
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Yeah August Ragone posts to another forum I frequent and he's always one of the posters I seek out posts from because you can guarantee if he's posting its interesting information or a well thought out opinion. His Blog is pretty cool too.