The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old September 25th, 2008   Augustine is offline   #1
Augustine
We win. My friend.

Default Johnny Depp signs on for Pirates 4, Alice in Wonderland and The Lone Ranger

Link One!

Depp has agreed to reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in a fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" pic and play Tonto in a bigscreen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger," both produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. He will also star as the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton’s version of "Alice in Wonderland."

The roles come after Depp helped Disney earn a combined $2.6 billion at the box office with the three pics in the "Pirates" franchise, also produced by Bruckheimer.

"Alice in Wonderland," skedded for 2010, will be shot using 3-D and performance capture technology similar to that used for "Beowulf."
ddf
Coming Soon!

At that, Disney rolled out the USC marching band to come down and play the Ranger's theme song. This was followed by an appearance by Depp himself who took to the stage in full Captain Jack Sparrow attire...wearing The Lone Ranger's mask.
ddf

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old September 25th, 2008   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #2
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

I was in Disney World last month. We were on the Pirate's ride, and I bet my fiance that Depp would be announcing another Pirates before the end of the year (not in such exact words, of course). I really enjoyed the films, though the trilogy went out on a sour note. I think it got away from them a bit.

Hopefully the fourth film will return to simpler, more efficient plot style of the first film.

Old September 25th, 2008   booyah is offline   #3
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Awesome. Awesome. And Awesome!
I loved the Pirates movies, and can't wait to see Depp reprise the role of Sparrow.
Another Depp/Burton collaboration is always worth checking out, and the idea of Depp as the Hatter is great.
I will admit to being slightly skeptical of Depp as Tonto, as I'm getting more and more used to the muscle bound bad ass in the current Lone Ranger comics, but I know Depp is talented enough to pull ir off.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old September 25th, 2008   RJ Squires is offline   #4
RJ Squires
persona non grata

Ummmmm.....
Feel free to bring that excitement to here

Old September 25th, 2008   Augustine is offline   #5
Augustine
We win. My friend.

But that's only one movie.

This is THREE.

Three times the excitement!

Okay so Pirates sucks.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old September 25th, 2008   jafabian is offline   #6
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Waitaminit....Captain Jack as......Tonto????

Old November 4th, 2008   Elias is offline   #7
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From Cinematical: Bruckheimer Talks 'Pirates 4', 'Lone Ranger' and More!

From Latino Review: Johhny Depp May Have A Brand New Brother For Pirates 4

Old November 4th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #8
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Depp as the Mad Hatter might work. But isn't Marilyn Manson supposed to be playing the Queen of Hearts?

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old December 10th, 2008   Elias is offline   #9
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default Alice In Wonderland

From MTV: Anne Hathaway’s ‘Alice In Wonderland’ White Queen: ‘Cute But Psycho’

From ComicBloc:
Johnny Depp cast as Mad Hatter in Batman... director Tim' Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Tim Burton adds to cast for Wonderland

Old December 10th, 2008   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #10
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

Oh that's pleasant news, Anne Hathaway is a terrific actress.

Old January 29th, 2009   Elias is offline   #11
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default Rango

From /film:
Berkley Breathed Double - Dan Fogler Joins Mars Needs Moms, Verbinski’s Rango Secret Uncovered?

Gore Verbinski’s Rango is an adaptation of Breathed’s Flawed Dogs. That book has apparently very little narrative to speak of, just a cast of odd dog characters, but Verbinski brewed a story up himself and set John Logan to scripting it. So this tells us that Depp’s mysterious household pet is none other than man’s best friend, Canis lupus familiaris. My source suggests that Isla Fisher may be playing a human role, one Heidy Strudelberg, but stressed that was a guess based upon nothing more than familiarity with the book (something I sadly don’t have - do you?) and I did have to check they meant what I thought they meant because Google seemed to be suggesting Strudelberg had actually written the book. She hadn’t - she’s a fiction.

A little bit longer on Google and I saw that Jim Hill long ago announced Verbinski’s optioning of Flawed Dogs. Also compelling evidence. I should spend more time in IM windows, I reckon. Always seems to turn up gold.

The book’s full title is Flawed Dogs: The Year End Leftovers at the Piddleton “Last Chance” Dog Pound, from which you can probably glean some plot, or at least premise, information.
ddf
Brendon Connelly

Old January 29th, 2009   Kiryu is offline   #12
Kiryu
persona non grata

I'd like to see Depp reteam with Robert Rodriguez and do a Blind Gunfighter movie.

Pirates 2/3 were really freaking awful, so I have no interest in furthering of the franchise.

Old January 29th, 2009   Terry Sloane is offline   #13
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

But that's only one movie.

This is THREE.

Three times the excitement!

Okay so Pirates sucks.
ddf
Augustine View Post
Pirates 3 stank up to high heaven. My wife and sis-in-law have Johnny Depp crushes and still agreed it was dog poop on a stick - overlong, convoluted dog poo.

PS - David Hyde Pierce for Riddler!

Old August 1st, 2009   Elias is offline   #14
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From THR:
Johnny Depp's next is up in the air - Actor has several potential projects but no go pictures
Johnny Depp is coming off an acclaimed role in "Public Enemies" and has one on the most anticipated movies of this weekend's Comic-Con with "Alice in Wonderland."

But the Mad Hatter is facing an unusual situation: Like the character he plays in "Alice," he soon could be killing time.

Depp is attached to a number of high-profile development properties but is facing a landscape devoid of go pictures. Instead, there are a dizzying number of possibilities and schedule permutations, none of which seems likely to result in a produced movie for him anytime soon.

Producers have been interested in Depp, whose deal is at Warner Bros., for the title role in the studio's "The Incredible Mr. Limpet," Kevin Lima's remake that would continue a whimsical if slightly less drama-intensive streak for the actor. He has not signed on, however, and in any event the pic would not go into production until next year.

Meanwhile, the fourth installment of the actor's tentpole "Pirates of the Caribbean" remains a priority for Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer. At some point it was going to be Depp's next pic, but with Gore Verbinski no longer directing the franchise, the ship has slowed.

Disney is seeking a new director, a process that could take time. Although the studio is believed to want an established franchise and action helmer, it has put the word out to agents it would be open to younger directors and new ideas, potentially prolonging the process. That could mean as much as a four- or five-year hiatus since the 2007 release of the previous picture, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

(Disney also would like to scale back the size and budget of the next movie compared with previous installments; for that reason, it likely won't bring back relatively pricey Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.)

Because of the "Pirates" lag, a Depp project that was supposed to go into production after the Sparrow-fest, "The Lone Ranger," could end up getting pushed back further, though there's also a possibility it could shoot ahead of the nautical tale.

For the moment, though, "Ranger" also remains locked in the stable. "Pirates" writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio have written a script for the Disney-Bruckheimer update, but the studio could wind up commissioning a polish or another draft. There's also no director, and Depp is attached to play Tonto, leaving a lead that needs to be cast.

Finally, Warners' feature update of the ghoulish TV series "Dark Shadows" -- a Depp-Tim Burton combo that might have shot later this year or early next year -- also might be back-burnered. Burton still has work to do on "Alice," which opens in March, and tends to spend a lot of time on prep work.

What the possibilities boil down to, besides head spinning, is there are projects with momentum that Depp has not signed for, and projects he has signed for that don't have a lot of momentum.

In other words, it's a very 2009 phenomenon brought on by a star's choosiness on one hand and studios' increasing caution on the other. (In what might be an emerging mini-trend, Will Smith and Brad Pitt happen to find themselves in similar situations.)

The result is that Depp could face a year or longer without appearing on the big screen.

That might not sound like a major departure, but for moviegoers, it will seem like a shift. Depp has been in one of the most fertile periods of his career: The actor also stars in the Hunter S. Thompson adaptation "The Rum Diary" and had a supporting role in "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," which hasn't been released in the U.S. In the past nine years, Depp has not had more than two movies come out in any 18-month period; if "Imaginarium" gets a release by the end of 2010, he'll have had four.

Then again, the absence of a new role might mean a respite from his breakneck schedule. Even a pirate needs some time off.
ddf