The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old November 14th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #1
The Flash
Geoffan

Default MSJ talks Daredevil sequel

Mark Steven Johnson wants Daredevil 2
Posted : November 13, 2006 Writer : Clint Morris
At the Wizard World Convention Last Week, “Ghost Rider” helmer Mark Steven Johnson said he’d be keen to not only do a sequel to the Nicolas Cage starrer, but also his earlier superhero effort, “Daredevil”.

According to Aint it Cool, Johnson said he’d like to do a sequel that uses the ‘Born Again’ storyline as its template.

"Daredevil: Born Again" is a story arc in Marvel Comics' series. The story details Daredevil's fall to insanity and destitution at the hands of The Kingpin, as well as his subsequent struggle to build a new life for himself. It is considered by many fans to be the definitive Frank Miller written Daredevil story.

Unfortunately, MSJ thinks he’d have a bit of a fight on his hands – because FOX aren’t keen on to put the guy in crimson back on the screen; not after the failure of “Elektra” anyway. The studio has “shelved” any future “Daredevil” instalment, he said.

If FOX did decide to do a sequel to “Daredevil”, it sounds like they’d have to recast. Ben Affleck said recently that he’d never wear tights again (just on a film set, I assume?). “By playing a superhero in Daredevil, I have inoculated myself from ever playing another superhero," Affleck told the press at the London premiere of “Hollywoodland”. "Wearing a costume was a source of humiliation for me and something I wouldn't want to do again soon."

Though rumours suggested Jason Behr (“The Grudge”, “Skinwalkers”) was in talks at one stage to replace Affleck for a sequel, reps for the actor say, “That’s not true.” Perceptibly a nice fan movement to get Behr the role, me thinks.

Michael Clarke Duncan, on the other hand, would be keen to return for a sequel. The actor who played the villain Kingpin in the first film said he’s got some great ideas for a follow-up. "I had thought what would be kind of cool that we see him in jail, we see him in prison, we see him...you start from the end of 'Daredevil', before the sirens and Daredevil is gone and you see the Kingpin in shackles you see him going to prison you see him getting locked up and you see his boys sitting there saying 'Well what are you going to do now?' And he just starts to think 'I need to train, I need to get better, I need to get quicker'."
ddf
http://www.moviehole.net/news/200611...ants_dare.html

Thoughts? Discuss.

Old November 14th, 2006   BigRed is offline   #2
BigRed*
Merc With a Mouth

Daredevil was a good movie to me, I wish that the acting quality for several key roles was better but oh well. As for a sequel If that is the story they are doing well then I'll bite. That is one of the greatest stories I've ever read from Miller and I would love to see that made.

From Earth 616 to your living room!
http://www.myspace.com/masterofthecrit
Old November 14th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #3
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I think the studio is right to turn a.....ahem......blind eye....ot the idea of a sequel. They have the good....ahem....sense to realize that not every superhero translates well to the big screen. At least they weren't....deaf to the viewers complaints.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old November 14th, 2006   Infernorhythm is offline   #4
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

Hmm, I liked the DD Director's Cut. I'm bummed about Affleck not wanting to reprise the role. I remember an interview from the production time when he dug the whole thing, even the costume. Shame.

It's nice to know Michael Clark Duncan wants to return, he was good.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old November 14th, 2006   BlackTornado is offline   #5
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

Elektra was bad because they rushed it out in response to the positve reaction the character recieved...had they had a better script, and taken the time to do the movie... it would have been a much better movie. As far as ben Afflecks feelings of humiliation in wearing a costume...I'm sorry he felt that way, but he actually looked kinda cool in it.

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old November 14th, 2006   Impulse is offline   #6
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

Daredevil doesn't kill. 'Nuff said. Any further Daredevil movies need to steer well clear of him throwing muggers into oncoming trains or anything of the like.

Old November 14th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #7
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Daredevil doesn't kill. 'Nuff said. Any further Daredevil movies need to steer well clear of him throwing muggers into oncoming trains or anything of the like.
ddf
Impulse View Post
Comics Daredevil doesn't. Movie Daredevil does. I know. I own the DVD and there he is, helping the bad guy catch the subway....

Old November 14th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #8
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Comics Daredevil doesn't. Movie Daredevil does. I know. I own the DVD and there he is, helping the bad guy catch the subway....
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
LOL

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old November 14th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #9
jafabian
I’m not dead.

IMO, Ben would do it for the right price. Most likely he originally signed a 1 picture deal and is jockeying for a good contract. But the longer the studio waits, the less likely it will happen. I would love to see Affleck and company reprise their roles.

I'd like to see Clarke return as Kingpin, but have Typhoid Mary appear as his chief assasin. Get Jennifer Lopez to player her....okay. I'm kidding on that. Angelina Jolie would be perfect but I doubt she'd do it. But definitely someone along those lines. Then get the Black Widow to show up as one of Matt's old girl friends as well. Better yet, have Matt fight it out over her with Hawkeye.

Just some wishful thinking...

Old November 14th, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #10
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

I think it was a good movie and got and don't understand all the negativity. Only thing that was off was DD killing the guy in the subway. AS far as Affleck all of a sudden complaining about it, I guess his intro of his love for DD in for Smith's run was bs.

Old November 14th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #11
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I think it was a good movie and got and don't understand all the negativity. Only thing that was off was DD killing the guy in the subway. AS far as Affleck all of a sudden complaining about it, I guess his intro of his love for DD in for Smith's run was bs.
ddf
Chris D. View Post
But, Chris...he's complaining about the experience of playing a superhero, not the DD character.

Old November 14th, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #12
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

But, Chris...he's complaining about the experience of playing a superhero, not the DD character.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Well yea, and he was so into comics. What did he expect? He was gonna keep the costume and start a new fashion trend? He didn't even have to wear underwear outside his pants..lol

Old November 14th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #13
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Well yea, and he was so into comics. What did he expect? He was gonna keep the costume and start a new fashion trend? He didn't even have to wear underwear outside his pants..lol
ddf
Chris D. View Post
Well, I think the idea of being a cool superhero and wearing a costume did not match the reality he saw and felt in the costume.

Old November 14th, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #14
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

Well, I think the idea of being a cool superhero and wearing a costume did not match the reality he saw and felt in the costume.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Well I really don't know what he was expecting. Maybe I'm just being silly figuring it's common sense that superhero costumes aren't that really cool in real life.

I know the DD role isn't as glamorous as say...Gigli, but come on

Old November 14th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #15
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Well I really don't know what he was expecting. Maybe I'm just being silly figuring it's common sense that superhero costumes aren't that really cool in real life.

I know the DD role isn't as glamorous as say...Gigli, but come on
ddf
Chris D. View Post
I agree. Some of his statements are a bit contraditory, therefore I question just how serious they are. Heck, I never thought he and JLo were ever really together as opposed to simply being a publicity stunt.

Old November 14th, 2006   CapeandCowl is offline   #16
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

ddf
Impulse View Post
That was an important plot point though for the film. He was killing at the start, but evolves a sense or heroism as the movie moves on. He decides that playing executioner wasn't just. I thought it was rather good.