The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old October 25th, 2012   Jake1823 is offline   #1
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Default Let's Talk Hitchcock!

Favorite movie(s)? Favorite female and male leads? Favorite scene? General memories or thoughts? Do you dislike his movies, or think him overrated?

I just saw Notorious yesterday, and it's so good. The shot where the camera zooms in on the key in Bergman's hand is amazing, and the closing shot with Claude Rains' Alexander Sebastian (who is the star of this movie, imo) ascending the steps is so well-done. You almost feel for the guy. Almost.

Anyway, I haven't seen enough Hitchcock (can you believe I haven't seen Psycho or The Birds?), but my favorite is Rear Window, followed by Vertigo, North by Northwest, Notorious, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Dial M for Murder. So far, that's all of his movies I've seen.

As you can see, I love me some James Stewart. In fact, I'd call him my favorite actor of all time. He's magnificent in Rear Window, Vertigo, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. Especially Vertigo, he played the obsession so well.

But yeah, give your thoughts! Let this thread be without structure; talk about whatever pertaining to Hitchcock.

Where is everybody?
Old October 25th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #2
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I watch Alfred Hitchcock Presents all the time on HULU.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old October 26th, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #3
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Favorite movie(s)? Favorite female and male leads? Favorite scene? General memories or thoughts? Do you dislike his movies, or think him overrated?

I just saw Notorious yesterday, and it's so good. The shot where the camera zooms in on the key in Bergman's hand is amazing, and the closing shot with Claude Rains' Alexander Sebastian (who is the star of this movie, imo) ascending the steps is so well-done. You almost feel for the guy. Almost.

Anyway, I haven't seen enough Hitchcock (can you believe I haven't seen Psycho or The Birds?), but my favorite is Rear Window, followed by Vertigo, North by Northwest, Notorious, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Dial M for Murder. So far, that's all of his movies I've seen.

As you can see, I love me some James Stewart. In fact, I'd call him my favorite actor of all time. He's magnificent in Rear Window, Vertigo, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. Especially Vertigo, he played the obsession so well.

But yeah, give your thoughts! Let this thread be without structure; talk about whatever pertaining to Hitchcock.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I haven't seen many of his films but my favorite film and only one I've seen is North by Northwest.

Hitchcock trailer: starring Anthony Hopkins

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old October 26th, 2012   Matt Olsen is offline   #4
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

It's pretty slow by today's tastes, but I liked Rebecca.

If you like black comedy, The Trouble with Harry is good.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old October 26th, 2012   Jake1823 is offline   #5
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I haven't seen many of his films but my favorite film and only one I've seen is North by Northwest.

Hitchcock trailer: starring Anthony Hopkins
ddf
Eric Q View Post
Have you seen the other movie starring Sienna Miller as Tippi Hedren? It gets into Hitch's treatment of Hedren in the The Birds. The dude was strange, to say the least. Vertigo is pretty much the culmination of his feelings toward women.

Where is everybody?
Old October 27th, 2012   TripleX is offline   #6
TripleX

I had a substitute teacher in high school that showed us "Rebecca" and "Strangers On A Train" because he didn't have a lesson plan. I want to thank that dude, he was the coolest! At that point I'd already seen "Psycho" and "the Birds" but those were the movies that cemented my love for Hitchcock's films.

"Vertigo", "Suspicion", "Spellbound" and "Notorious" are boring compared to my personal favorite..."Frenzy". It's the most graphic, has the scariest villain and the most black comedy.

While channel surfing as a kid I came across the potato truck scene where the bad guy tries to recover his missing tie pin from the hand of his latest victim. Comically it seems as if the corpse and the loose potatoes rolling all over the truck's bed are intent on thwarting him. He finally corners the body but rigor mortis has set in, he has to break her fingers to get it back and there's a sickening cracking sound of bones snapping. That scene scared me half to death. I hadn't seen levity mixed with horror before and the fact it was funny somehow made it all the more chilling. There's also a running gag of the police inspector's wife making him disgusting dishes she's partially learned how to prepare in a cooking class she's taking, that's hilarious.

What makes the movie so good though is until the final scene it looks as if the killer will be successful in raping and murdering women that have spurned his advances by framing his innocent friend for his crimes. It has all the thrills and suspense of any of the best Hitchcock films, but everything is turned up a couple notches enabling it to stand apart as something more.

1. Frenzy
2. Strangers On A Train
3. Rear Window
4. Rope
5. Rebecca
6. Psycho
7. Lifeboat
8. the Birds
9. North By Northwest
10. To Catch A Thief

There are still several I haven't seen though. Just saw a review for "Shadow of Doubt" and hope to see that one next. Joseph Cotton plays the bad guy and he's one of my favorite parts of "Citizen Kane".

Old March 5th, 2016   Elias is offline   #7
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default Alfred Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW

AICN:
Behold the amazing Alfred Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW in Time Lapse! Amazing!

Old March 7th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #8
Amentep

Not sure where I was in 2012 to not answer this thread, but...

There are still several I haven't seen though. Just saw a review for "Shadow of Doubt" and hope to see that one next. Joseph Cotton plays the bad guy and he's one of my favorite parts of "Citizen Kane".
ddf
TripleX View Post
Shadow of a Doubt is my favorite (and Hitch's professed favorite, if I recall correctly).

I'd put North by Northwest, The Trouble with Harry, Young and Innocent, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Frenzy, Psycho, The Birds, The Family Plot as really strong films.

But I like most of his films with a few notable exceptions (The Paradine Case and The Wrong Man).

Old March 26th, 2016   mego joe is offline   #9
mego joe
Geoffan

Rear Window, North By Northwest, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 26th, 2016   ronaldj is offline   #10
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

I have not seen many of his movies but, Rear Window was or is my favorite

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom