The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 27th, 2008   Argent is offline   #49
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

WB should remember that Returns was the movie they wanted. If they go all grim and gritty with this reboot, the property will be toxic unless they veer back toward redemption.
ddf
Terry Sloane View Post
I think it's pretty clear you can't push Superman to far towards a dark take before you're not watching Superman any longer. But what you can do it push the world around him and the villains he faces into a darker, more dangerous and corrupt mode.

Why is Clark Kent an Investigative Journalist? Because he fights corruption. Ergo, there must be corruption for him to fight as Clark that he can't fight as Superman.

Right there, you've spun a story for Clark that is more darker and real to life than what we've seen before. It automatically paints Metropolis as a place that isn't all four-color bright lights with no shadows.

Add on top of that a threat that can only be dealt with by Superman, and that's more than enough to work with.

If you want to get away from the Donner version, then you focus more on Clark Kent - Man and Superman. Clark isn't a disguise, he's Superman doing what he loves to do most - expose the truth of corruption and level the playing field for everyday, honest people. Clark Kent is the embodiment of Truth, Justice and the American Way, not Superman. Superman is the extension of that because Clark just happens to have been born on Krypton and so he can fly and bounce bullets and be amazingly strong. The only reason Clark becomes Superman is because he can't stand idly by when someone needs help. Being Superman allows Clark to keep doing his primary job, exposing the truth of corruption. Superman protects us from the forces of evil outside Earth, Clark Kent from the forces of evil on Earth.

Show that duality and you've just rebooted the Superman franchise for the 21st Century.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old August 28th, 2008   KBVinson is offline   #50
KBVinson

Default Making sence of the WB/DC Movie Slate

The folks over at Newsarama and an AMAZING outline of what's going down with the WB/DC movie properties.

-KevyKev
Old August 28th, 2008   SageShinigami is offline   #51
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

Definitely an amazing job, but it made me realize I've still got no faith in DC movies.

Supermax continues to be a horrid idea and this highlights why:

Recently, the success of Marvel's Iron Man has been cited as a catalyst for Warner Bros. getting more and more behind this project, based on the idea Green Arrow and Iron Man are considered comparable as second-tier characters at their respective publishers.
ddf
Not even. Iron Man's a first-tier character at Marvel, for one. But if you mean (as you should) that he's a second-tier character in terms of pop culture, then yeah. But Green Arrow is barely third-tier, by comparison. Iron Man's had a cartoon. He's had a toyline. GA can't pull that off. Unlike Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man, GA is NOT one of the guys who can have a "cold start" movie that skips over his origin and (as was the selling point when this movie was first brought up) doesn't even show him in costume for the entire movie. (And if not the entire movie, then certainly all but the last ten minutes.)

- Green Lantern: I have no idea whether this will be good or not. Will have to hear some more about it first. To be honest I'd have more faith if Geoff Johns were writing it, but I say that about everything. That won't stop me from going to see my favorite superhero on screen. I hope its great. I'm not going to insult it or whatever because I wasn't hyped about Batman Begins or Iron Man until I saw the first trailer.

- Shazam: That title is too long. It sucks that they can't make some kind of deal with Marvel to let them call it Captain Marvel because honestly, the first part of any superhero's trilogy should have that hero's name in it. Other than that, I reserve judgement until I see it. Captain Marvel isn't all that straight forward so it'll be interesting to see if they can sell the movie to people.

- Justice League: Not happening. Which is awesome. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and if they can manage it, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter should come out first. Then Justice League, and if that's a hit then maybe a movie for Zatanna, Red Tornado, the Atom, and Hawkman.

- Wonder Woman: Should've already happened. I'm still pissed WB couldn't stick to that cycle they were talking about after Begins came out. (You know, Begins in 05, Returns in 06, WW in 07, Dark Knight in 08, Man of Steel in 09, WW2 in 10, etc. etc.)

- Flash: Also, should've already happened. I liked the rumor way way back when it was speculated that Jay Garrick would be the Flash they chose. That's a lost cause now but oh well. If nothing else I'd like to see Ryan Reynolds play the role. He's pretty good.

- Teen Titans:
Okay, if Warner Bros. has decided to build a Justice League movie from solo movies on up, what does this mean for the Teen Titans movie, announced in May of 2007?
ddf
....Nothing. Nothing, it means nothing. Or it should. Teen Titans and Justice League are structured differently. The sooner the money people are able to tell All Superheroes Were Not Created Equal, the better. Teen Titans is...a unique beast. What you want is a team movie first and then spin-off movies like what X-Men's doing.

- Jonah Hex: ....Just...just make a western, please. No need for a lot of supernatural crap. Jeez. DC's not like Marvel--most of its properties shouldn't even ATTEMPT to ground themselves in reality....except a select few. Batman's one of those. Jonah Hex is another.

- Deadpool and Doom Patrol: I'll save my opinion on these until there's some chance of them being on the horizon.

As for the rest of them...not really DC movies.

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.
Old August 28th, 2008   Argent is offline   #52
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

I've been following the Hex film's development as close as possible, which isn't really all that much except for the script review at Latino Review - http://www.latinoreview.com/script-reviews/75

There isn't any obvious mention of the supernatural, so I'm hoping someone handed them some Jonah Hex trades and they realized they didn't need it to tell a good story. Apart from the quotes from the initial announcement - and every article that mentions the supernatural always refers back to that initial announcement and what everyone said there - there really isn't much new information from any official source. They may shoot around New Orleans.

Old August 28th, 2008   5andman is offline   #53
5andman
Master Geoffan

I've been following the Hex film's development as close as possible, which isn't really all that much except for the script review at Latino Review - http://www.latinoreview.com/script-reviews/75

There isn't any obvious mention of the supernatural, so I'm hoping someone handed them some Jonah Hex trades and they realized they didn't need it to tell a good story. Apart from the quotes from the initial announcement - and every article that mentions the supernatural always refers back to that initial announcement and what everyone said there - there really isn't much new information from any official source. They may shoot around New Orleans.
ddf
Argent View Post
It's by the guys that did Crank -- very promising!

Old August 28th, 2008   Argent is offline   #54
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

It's by the guys that did Crank -- very promising!
ddf
5andman View Post
It's expected they'll start shooting next year with a 2010 release. They said it was their next project after Crank 2. The script review really gave me hope for a good Hex film. Especially when you see what they do reveal about the plot (which they kept to a spoiler minimum) .

Old August 29th, 2008   GrendelPrime is offline   #55
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

I think this 'leading up to a JLA' movie is a bad idea. Always have.
Why? because any NUMBER of things could go wrong and kill it before it even gets started.
Just make the darn film. You don't have to do origins for every character first.
When I was a kid, I just watched the Justice League cartoons and, hey, I 'got it' who these guys were and what they could do.
Then later I learned how they got to be who/what they were, and it was cool. "Oooooh. So that's why he....."whatever.
Just make the darn film. See what characters resonate with people,....and then give THAT character a solo origin movie.
Do they think the public is that stupid that they need a whole dedicated movie to understand Aquaman? The Flash?
Do they think they really need to explain who/what Superman is?
Most people already have a vague idea, enough to get by on.
Just make the movie and rake in the dough.

Do the jig!
Old October 9th, 2008   Elias is offline   #56
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Brandon Routh is still Superman!
As of now just a few moments ago another inside source confirmed that yes they are waiting for Chris Nolan to sign the deal with the next Batman, and that they want him to commit to a July 2011 release. If that happens then the following superhero films will be released.

Green Lantern Summer 2010
Batman 3 Summer 2011
New Superman reboot Summer 2012

Also in the mix is THE FLASH.
ddf
Source: Latino Review
Last edited by Elias; October 9th, 2008 at 05:28 PM.

Old December 18th, 2008   Elias is offline   #57
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default Alan Horn

From COLLIDER: Alan Horn, The President of Warner Bros, talks DARK KNIGHT, GREEN LANTERN, and More

Old July 28th, 2009   Elias is offline   #58
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From Variety:
In theory, last summer's $1 billion haul for Warner Bros.' "The Dark Knight" should have supercharged the studio's plans to spin off DC Comics' stable of superheroes into successful film franchises.

But Warner Bros. still doesn't have an overall strategy, even as it has firmed plans for the "Green Lantern" feature set for July 17, 2011. It recently put the glowing ring on Ryan Reynolds to star in the actioner that will be directed by Martin Campbell, two-time Bond franchise rebooter.

The studio has access to well-known characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the Flash -- properties that have the potential to mint a lot of coin for the coffers of Warner Bros.' various divisions should a pic score with audiences.

The DC move would seem like a no-brainer. But it's easier said than done. Studio executives admit to being delayed by the writers' strike and then by the takeover of New Line. And WB toppers Alan Horn and Jeff Robinov would like the studio and DC to closely develop superhero pics together, rather than hand off projects to individual producers. They're also aiming for each division at the studio to time the release of everything --from licensed merchandise like T-shirts and action figures to exclusive DVDs, videogames and digital content -- to when a pic gets released in order to build up the tentpole's franchise potential.

Meanwhile, the Home Entertainment and Interactive divisions aren't waiting for the big features to roll out; they're moving ahead with DC-based projects of their own.

However, the studio has yet to tap an executive to shepherd DC Comics' adaptations the way Marvel has a dedicated team to run its own film division. DC currently consults on projects the studio is developing.

Warner Bros. has spent years trying to come up with a strategy, the way Marvel has done with its own comicbook properties.

And outside of "Green Lantern," Warner Bros. has yet to officially announce plans on which superhero it will greenlight next. Ask the studio about the next Batman installment and it says it's all up to how director Christopher Nolan wants to proceed. Marvel, on the other hand, has skedded its next pics -- "Iron Man 2," "Thor," "Captain America" and "The Avengers" -- through 2012.

For now, DC's far lesser-known properties are moving forward, with supernatural Western "Jonah Hex" out next year and actioner "The Losers" headed into production, while projects for better-known characters like Aquaman, the Flash, Green Arrow and Shazam are still being developed.

Another reboot of Superman is also in the works, but needs to start production by 2011 in order to bow before the character rights revert to the heirs of Superman creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel, in 2013, who will demand steep licensing fees.

While a date has not yet been set, the studio does want a new Batman pic for summer 2012.

Spy thriller "Red," with Bruce Willis attached, isn't even being made at Warners, but Summit Entertainment.

More obscure characters can still strike a chord with audiences. Marvel proved that when it successfully launched "Iron Man" as one of Hollywood's top new film franchises. The character wasn't that well known among the masses, but the pic banked $585 million at the box office, with a sequel due out next summer.

The pokey development of DC's superhero business has spurred Warner Bros.' other divisions to come up with their own ways to capitalize on the characters.

This week, Warner Home Entertainment hyped its own "Green Lantern" pic "First Flight" at Comic-Con in San Diego. The animated direct-to-DVD film is the latest in a line of more adult-skewing PG-13 films the division has produced with Warner Bros. Animation that are based on DC's characters and have performed well at retail.

Last year, it released "Wonder Woman," and "Batman: Gotham Knight," "Justice League: The New Frontier" and "Superman: Doomsday" before that. "Superman/Batman: Public Enemies" is next. "Doomsday" remains one of its top earners, with more than $9.4 million; the toons are made for around $3.5 million apiece.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros. Interactive is developing a "Green Lantern" videogame, and is off and running with plans to produce games based on DC characters that appeal to various age groups and turn into their own franchises. For Batman, that ranges from the cutesy "Lego Batman" to the far edgier "Batman: Arkham Asylum" that's forthcoming.

It's easy to compare DC with Marvel, given their comicbook businesses. But making movies has been a little easier for Marvel.

Marvel isn't owned by a major conglom, and is set up to make decisions faster, whereas DC is just one of the many divisions under Time Warner.

The performance of a pic also can move Marvel's stock price, so it constantly needs to keep investors updated on its development pipeline. Time Warner is so large, with so many media divisions under its belt, that despite the impressive haul of "The Dark Knight," the pic hardly affected the company's stock at all. So WB doesn't need to be in a hurry to have DC's caped crusaders make the leap to the bigscreen.

In fact, why rush when taking time to develop Warners' superhero pics can lead to a revived Batman franchise that dominates at the box office, instead of a high-profile stumble like "Catwoman" or the lukewarm reception afforded "Superman Returns?"

The only ones clamoring for the films are the fans. And that's just the way Warner Bros. wants it.
ddf

Old July 29th, 2009   Argent is offline   #59
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

Strange for Variety to be a step behind what has already been announced at ComiCon.

Old July 29th, 2009   Drink is offline   #60
Drink
Official Scofflaw

I think you're overestimating how much non-comic-reading people follow ComiCon coverage. Which isn't all that much, if any.

Old July 30th, 2009   Argent is offline   #61
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

I think you're overestimating how much non-comic-reading people follow ComiCon coverage. Which isn't all that much, if any.
ddf
Drink View Post
Hollywood, which is Variety's beat, has turned SDCC into a media con that is outstripping the Comic portion of San Diego. Sundance, San Diego, Cannes - those are the places Hollywood makes their big splashes these days. Over half the news that came out of San Diego was Hollywood related. SDCC has broken into the mainstream.

Old July 30th, 2009   SageShinigami is offline   #62
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

ddf
Drink View Post
Someone's taking the "Comic" part of the Comic-Con name far too seriously. Comic-Con is a big deal. Far more so for movie news than comic news. When directors want to get the hype started for their big movie tentpole projects coming out the following year? Comic-Con is the first place they go. Hype for The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Star Trek and Twilight ALL started at the SDCC. And with both the IM *and* Twilight sequels, the hype started there again this year.

The idea that "no one cares about Comic-Con" is quite amusing. Here's the thing: Its actually the comic reading people (possibly the comic companies as well) who are coming to realize that Comic-Con is not really the place to unveil big announcements, or do anything heavily comic-related.

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.
Old July 30th, 2009   Augustine is offline   #63
Augustine
We win. My friend.

For the immediate future my prediction is simple, any and all DC movies will either flop or bomb and Marvel will continue to rake in the bucks unless they're Elektra terrible.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old July 30th, 2009   Kyle Sing is offline   #64
Kyle Sing
Geoffan

Considering they have Geoff co-writing the FLASH movie I am optimistic. By doing so WB is already showing that they want to work with the people that make the mythos great and that is the folks writing the comics.

I think we will be alright.

Peace,

Kyle

"Sweety, we beat Hitler." -Jay Garrick to Dream Girl in The Lightning Saga