The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 22nd, 2008   Argent is offline   #17
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

If by darker he means, "Stronger, better fleshed out Villains" then that's good. All superhero films rely on a strong villain and a believable threat, Dark Knight did that perfectly.

But if he's just wanting to grunge up the DCU, that's a wrongheaded, one size fits all solution. There are many DC properties that need the exact opposite treatment. Green Lantern is not a Grungy property - it's sleek and high polished.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #18
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I don't see anything that says that the Superman franchise has been taken out of Singer's hands. Only that the studio will be taking the franchise in a different direction and pretty much pretend the previous movie didn't happen but since Singer's writing team has left the project that isn't surprising. However the next installment is already in pre-production from what Kevin Spacey indicated in a recent interview so I'd be surprised if WB is willing to blow money on this project AGAIN.

If Warner Bros. is upset that Superman Returns didn't take in the kind of profit they wanted then they need to look at themselves. They threw a lot of money at Kevin Smith, Tim Burton, Nicholas Cage, Brett Ratner, McG and JJ Abrams as well as a host of other people. Seems to me the WB needs to rethink it's management structure, especially when Superman Returns earned $391 million worldwide and had generally positive reviews. Sure, having another movie out by now would be ideal but I think the writer's strike had something to do with the delay.

Old August 22nd, 2008   LastSun is offline   #19
LastSun
Master Geoffan

I don't see anything that says that the Superman franchise has been taken out of Singer's hands. Only that the studio will be taking the franchise in a different direction and pretty much pretend the previous movie didn't happen but since Singer's writing team has left the project that isn't surprising. However the next installment is already in pre-production from what Kevin Spacey indicated in a recent interview so I'd be surprised if WB is willing to blow money on this project AGAIN.
ddf
jafabian View Post
From this article ir sounds like they want to do a restart and that if Singer is willing to work on it great, if not they would find someone else.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old August 22nd, 2008   Terry Sloane is offline   #20
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

Once size fits all won't work. Just do every hero well within their basic premise.

Old August 22nd, 2008   ADGood is offline   #21
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

A grittier Superman seems rather ill-conceived. A darker, less goofy Lex Luthor, however, wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Hef_Lee is offline   #22
Hef_Lee
Neo Geoffan

I"m glad WW, GL, GA and Flash are in development. However a "Dark, brooding,angsty, in your face.yadda yadda" Superman sounds dumb to me.

Every comic I ever love is doomed to cancellation...
Old August 22nd, 2008   Terry Sloane is offline   #23
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

Dark Superman = Lobo

Old August 22nd, 2008   ADGood is offline   #24
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Dark Superman = Lobo
ddf
Terry Sloane View Post
Lobo isn't exactly...dark. Gritty and blood-soaked, yes. But otherwise, he's sort of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

I'd say that a dark DC Universe = Squadron Supreme.

Old August 22nd, 2008   DeTroyes is offline   #25
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

*sigh*

I guess this means no Teen Titans movie in the foreseeable future.

BTW, is there a link to this article?

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old August 22nd, 2008   SageShinigami is offline   #26
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

If Warner Bros. is upset that Superman Returns didn't take in the kind of profit they wanted then they need to look at themselves. They threw a lot of money at Kevin Smith, Tim Burton, Nicholas Cage, Brett Ratner, McG and JJ Abrams as well as a host of other people. Seems to me the WB needs to rethink it's management structure, especially when Superman Returns earned $391 million worldwide and had generally positive reviews. Sure, having another movie out by now would be ideal but I think the writer's strike had something to do with the delay.
ddf
jafabian View Post
You say $391 million like its a good thing. Spider-Man (I'm using the original rather than any of the others because sequels always make more money) made over twice that, and spent nearly half SR's budget. Superman Returns is NOT something DC should try to aim for.

I can't decide if this is a mistake on WB's part or not. It depends on the people. I mean let's face it. You people like your dark...well...everything. Movies, characters, stories, whatever. So what we might end up with are a bunch of movies that sell like gangbusters....but represent the characters for crap, which to the producer/companies means bupkiss. (Sorry folks, but if they thought a redux of the old Adam West Batman would make what Dark Knight made, they would've made a redux of the old Adam West Batman.)

Although....does this seem like to anyone else after Watchmen came out and suddenly we were bombarded with the grim and gritty era of comics? Same scenario. A bunch of people that just don't get why that movie was good.

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.
Old August 22nd, 2008   achilles140 is offline   #27
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

*sigh*

BTW, is there a link to this article?
ddf
DeTroyes View Post
Further up in the thread. As for TT, they did say that WB is looking at practically EVERY DC character for a movie, so it's not out of the question. In fact, sooner or later I'd bet on one.

Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #28
jafabian
Iím not dead.

You say $391 million like its a good thing.
ddf
SageShinigami
So it's a bad thing? Show me a movie that makes that much and is considered a bad film. Movies that have made less have had sequels done. Look at the Bond franchise.

We won't know if its a mistake until the finished product comes out. What's sad for us is that if the WB is wrong on their approach (and if this article is true I believe it is) then it will effectively ground the franchise for an extended period of time.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Mackaybear is offline   #29
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

The dark approach isn't the right one for most of the DCU heroes.....

GL should be high action and Flash doesn't lend itself at all to "dark and gritty". That's the only thing I didn't like about the 90's TV show...shouldn't have been so dark in tone.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old August 22nd, 2008   DeTroyes is offline   #30
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

Further up in the thread. As for TT, they did say that WB is looking at practically EVERY DC character for a movie, so it's not out of the question. In fact, sooner or later I'd bet on one.
ddf
achilles140 View Post
Personally, I think Teen Titans offers DC their best chance at an X-Men type team movie franchise.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old August 22nd, 2008   teencomicgeek is offline   #31
teencomicgeek
Whovian

*sigh*

ddf
DeTroyes View Post
Personally, I think Teen Titans offers DC their best chance at an X-Men type team movie franchise.
ddf
DeTroyes View Post
Seriously. I heard it was greenlit, with Nightwing in the movie, then nothing. I want my Teen Titans film, damn it!

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

The Doctor
Old August 25th, 2008   Kyle Sing is offline   #32
Kyle Sing
Geoffan

Warner Bros needs to give DC its own studio like Marvel has from Fox. That approach breeds super-hero movie success! Iron Man was the textbook approach to super-hero flicks as it was created from the right source material by people who know who the real chaaracter is..not an "interpretation" of the character as Singer has done with X-Men and Superman Returns.

I often wonder how Warner got the first two Superman movies right? Moreover, I do not understand why this is so hard.

Batman Begins and Dark Knight worked for the character, but such an approach is sure to sink Superman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern.

When will they learn?

"Sweety, we beat Hitler." -Jay Garrick to Dream Girl in The Lightning Saga