The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old January 11th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Default Black Panther #23 SPOILERS

I've been following this series since the wedding, and it's absolutely rocked ever since. It's integrated the events of Civil War into its plots extremely well and makes those events far reaching into the Marvel Universe rather than only affecting the Black Panther comic. If you like Civil War, or if it simply has your attention, I recommend you pick up the last 7-8 issues of this series. It's THAT good.

This story opens with Bill Foster's (Goliath) family visting his grave, and both T'Challa and Ororo with them. They speak with the family, and then both parties give a statement to the press. More on that in a sec.

Then the story cuts to a government office meeting room with a bunch of suits analyzing how to put on spin on Foster's death and make the pro-reg side look good. Obviously, Tony's spin doctors or the White House's own team and they discuss how the public is interpreting recent events regarding Foster.

Some strain is beginning to show on T'Challa's and Ororo's marriage. The events the SHRA brings as both have understandable differences on how to approach things. They go to the Wakandan embassy where officials there express concern that T'Challa's marriage to an American and his subsequent stay in the US during the Civil War only fuels the fears of the Wakandan people, they say. Between his SHRA war and frequent adventures makes people think he has little interest in his homeland.

Later, one official asks another "Were we effective?" To which the other replies "Yes. We did not change his mind, but we changed hers. They'll be home...eventually." Later, Ororo DOES offer to return to Wakanda to T'Challa, but he says that eventually Tony's SHRA will become international and better to head things off now. This does seem to set up what may eventually happen to their marriage. Ororo can't stay away from the X-Men forever.

Okay, again the media is shown interviewing people on the street. That was the purpose of the Foster interviews. It's a nice way of showing how the SHRA is resonating throughout the Marvel Universe.

T'Challa then goes to meet...Captain America! He has a brief meeting with the Black Widow who was tailing him, but T'Challa practially snaps his fingers and two female subordinates appear and delay Natasha enough for T'Challa to meet with Cap. Turns out T'Challa will be taking a subtle yet more proactive stance against the SHRA.

The final scene has Iron Man and Natasha reviewing their recent troubles. Natasha questions the possibility of Ororo bringing in mutants to Cap's side. The next panel is of the [IThor][/i] clone/cyborg lying on a table with Tony commenting that if it comes to that, then it'll be time to bring out the big guns.

Appropiately enough, the next issue it titled "The Big Guns." And I don't think it means She-Hulk will guest star.

If you didn't get this, you really should. Reggie Hudlin is writing a great series and Koi Turnbull has some nice, tight pencils. A lot happens in this issue and it totally fits within continuity smoothly. Very well done issue!

Old January 12th, 2007   LaPrincesa is offline   #2
LaPrincesa
Geoffan

It is pretty good. I like how Tony has really come off as himself (the great anti-villain) and I like the Panther and Namor's ties. I like the Panther and Storm like I liked Batman and Wonder Woman on JLU.

Old January 13th, 2007   whitetlingit is offline   #3
whitetlingit
tigniltetihw si dog

This title is really one of my must reads every month.

It's Tlingit not Lightning, although I do burn like Lightning.
Old January 14th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Iím not dead.

You got that right. And this issue ties perfectly into the latest issue of Civil War. This series ties into CW better than any other book on the stands right now, yet maintains its own identity. It doesn't come across like a tie in yet it does just that.

Old January 14th, 2007   LaPrincesa is offline   #5
LaPrincesa
Geoffan

You got that right. And this issue ties perfectly into the latest issue of Civil War. This series ties into CW better than any other book on the stands right now, yet maintains its own identity. It doesn't come across like a tie in yet it does just that.
ddf
jafabian View Post

I agree with that, it doesn't feel hijacked by CW like Ms marvel did.