The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Back Issues: Geoff Johns

Back Issues: Geoff Johns Talk about Geoff's older work here

Old December 16th, 2008   The Amazing Lord Retail is offline   #1
The Amazing Lord Retail

Default Day of Judgment tpb

I'm kinda new here and I'm sure you've been over this before, but I was talking to a friend in the shop today and he reminded me that Day of Judgment has yet to be put into tpb after all these years. Even though it was a critical storyline for Hal Jordan (although not exactly topical anymore), it had Matt Smith art, and it was one of the earliest indications that this Geoff Johns guy was going to be someone big for comics. With Invasion and even Millennium in trade, this has got to be one of the only DC events (do we need Armageddon 2001? Genesis? Maybe..) not collected.

Would you buy a Day of Judgment tpb? I know I could sell one. I could put the hard sell on a Day of Judgment tpb.

Old December 16th, 2008   Feltonbass is offline   #2
Feltonbass
Yep....

I have the singles and much of the crossover from that arc, and while entertaining, it feels very bogged down by editorial.

There are a bunch of crossovers, but nothing crucial to the main story

It brought back Enchantress ( then killed her ), Blue Devil, and attempted to define Magic in the DCU for a while.

I think the art turned a lot of folks off too, very much akin to Mike Mognolia's Cosmic Oddessy...not a bad thing at all, but not real mainstream, especially for a crossover

The biggest detremint to it being collected, may be that it just isn't relevant anymore.

Jason Todd in Purgatory, Hal Jordan as the Spectre, Azmodel, Neron, Magic ( ie, a lot of stuff that has a new satus quo )

if you want to read it, I recomend the floppies, but I can't ever see a trade being put out. Also, be sure to pick up the EXCELENT JLA issue that serves as an epilouge of sorts right after the crossover

One man's pathetic quest to make it SDCC 2010

www.jedisnakeeyes.blogspot.com
Old December 16th, 2008   The Amazing Lord Retail is offline   #3
The Amazing Lord Retail

I have the singles and much of the crossover from that arc, and while entertaining, it feels very bogged down by editorial.

There are a bunch of crossovers, but nothing crucial to the main story

It brought back Enchantress ( then killed her ), Blue Devil, and attempted to define Magic in the DCU for a while.

I think the art turned a lot of folks off too, very much akin to Mike Mognolia's Cosmic Oddessy...not a bad thing at all, but not real mainstream, especially for a crossover

The biggest detremint to it being collected, may be that it just isn't relevant anymore.

Jason Todd in Purgatory, Hal Jordan as the Spectre, Azmodel, Neron, Magic ( ie, a lot of stuff that has a new satus quo )

if you want to read it, I recomend the floppies, but I can't ever see a trade being put out. Also, be sure to pick up the EXCELENT JLA issue that serves as an epilouge of sorts right after the crossover
ddf
Feltonbass View Post
Tough room. I really enjoyed DoJ's main series. Especially the part in purgatory where the various departed characters were fighting for a second chance as the Spectre.

I loved Mignola's art on Odyssey... Where's my back up?

Old December 16th, 2008   Jake1823 is offline   #4
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I loved it, too. That's surprising to hear that people didn't like it when it came out.

I guess it's not that surprising, though.

Mignola's a legend, though.

Where is everybody?
Old December 16th, 2008   odessasteps is offline   #5
odessasteps
Neo Geoffan

this has come up here before.

FWIW, I have read interviews where Geoff has talked about not being fond of that experience and that could be enough to not have it reprinted.

Mark Coale
Editor/Publisher
Odessa Steps Magazine
Old December 16th, 2008   superfriend is offline   #6
superfriend
laughs at comics

had one made meself. but this one's got all of the tie-ins too.

i really do need to get around to making a dustjacket for this.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old December 16th, 2008   Feltonbass is offline   #7
Feltonbass
Yep....

Tough room. I really enjoyed DoJ's main series. Especially the part in purgatory where the various departed characters were fighting for a second chance as the Spectre.

I loved Mignola's art on Odyssey... Where's my back up?
ddf
The Amazing Lord Retail View Post
I liked Mignola's art on CO, but I just think the average comic book fan wouldn't find it as appealing.

And don't get me wrong, I enjoyed DoJ, but it just never felt HUGE like acrossover should. IIRC, the DCU was just coming off DC One Million about a year or 2 prior, and just before or right after that, the Annuals theme was "Ghosts"...so alot of the stuff covered in "Ghosts" ( ie, the spirts of ICE and Vibe, the Phantom Zone Criminals, any 'Dead' DCU characters ) had just been covered before DoJ so it really limited what the tie-ins could cover IMO.

I think JLApe was that years Annual event

It always felt like a forced event to bring back Hal w/o rubbing demeaning Kyle.

It was OK, not great.

If I had to rank it, I'd put it somewhere between Zero Hour and Underworld Unleashed

One man's pathetic quest to make it SDCC 2010

www.jedisnakeeyes.blogspot.com
Old December 17th, 2008   Redcape is offline   #8
Redcape
Neo Geoffan

the art was good but the story was kind of mixed for me.

Read Jonah Hex & Booster Gold
Old December 17th, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #9
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I'd buy it, I'd loved that story it is one of my favorites, well I am a Hal fan so that might be why, but it is one of Geoff's best stories I think and I love all the characters he uses in it.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old April 15th, 2009   Matt Petersen is offline   #10
Matt Petersen
Neo Geoffan

With Hal being back and gaining new fans it might be a good idea to reprint the story that allowed him that chance at redemption in the first place.
I liked the story so I see no reason why it should not be collected (plus trades fit better in my collection these days since they can go on a book shelf)

"Zoology eh? That's a big word, isn't it." "No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short."”
Old April 16th, 2009   GrendelPrime is offline   #11
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

Ok, since I can't give DC some more of my money for a tpb, anyone wanna help a guy out and tell me what issues of what I'd need to buy to get it?

I'm pretty interested in the Hal Jordan stuff, if just for the heck of it.

Thanks to any and all who help!

Do the jig!
Old April 16th, 2009   sylpemberton is offline   #12
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

Ok, since I can't give DC some more of my money for a tpb, anyone wanna help a guy out and tell me what issues of what I'd need to buy to get it?

I'm pretty interested in the Hal Jordan stuff, if just for the heck of it.

Thanks to any and all who help!

ddf
GrendelPrime View Post
If you pick up Day of Judgement 1-5 it covers pretty much the whole story. No need to look for many of the crossovers, I don't remember any of them adding that much...

Old April 16th, 2009   Dan Loayza is offline   #13
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

No need to look for many of the crossovers, I don't remember any of them adding that much...
ddf
sylpemberton View Post
To say the least. Honestly, Day of Judgment is what turned me off to "big" crossovers. For example, the Green Lantern tie-in was simply the now not-dead Enchantress showing up for like 3 panels at the end of the (otherwise unrelated) story and Kyle going "Huh, who was that?" with a "Find out in Day of Judgement #whatever!" blurb.

Hell, Genesis had better tie-ins.

#HEEL
Old April 21st, 2009   BrianT is offline   #14
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I enjoyed the IMPULSE aftermath tie-in, although not vital at all to DoJ. Geoff Johns writing an Impulse/Max Mercury/Star Spangled Kid/S.T.R.I.P.E. team-up against the Gentlemen Ghost (who escaped from Hell due to DoJ, hence the tie-in) in a prelude appearance before he "moves South" to appear in Johns' HAWKMAN.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old April 22nd, 2009   SethKane is offline   #15
SethKane
Geoffan

A Great Hal moment. Him turning down the chance to be Spectre cause he didn't deserve it shows his true heroic mettle.

Old April 22nd, 2009   Matches is offline   #16
Matches
stepping aside

Hell, Genesis had better tie-ins.
ddf
Dan Loayza View Post
I thought we all agreed never to mention Genesis again, in any context. Wasn't there a law passed or something?

@allstarmatches on Twitter.