The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 16th, 2016   JRM is offline   #17
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I'm curious: who is this "new guard"? And how would you define "old guard"? There are people born post-COIE who would call themselves "old guard," but DC certainly doesn't think so. They seem to define "old guard" as Silver/Bronze age fans.

A non sequitur, I know. But DC has desperately wanted that old guard back. Did they get what they wanted, after all?

Topic? I read this news and think about Earth 2: World's End, Future's End, and Countdown to Final Crisis. 52 was the only weekly series from DC that anyone liked. Is there a reason they keep doing this?
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post

They lost this "old guard", a fair while back. Those in charge don't have a clue to what those who have been around since the early 70's or there abouts people actually are actually looking for. What they give us is the worst elements of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's mixed into a stinking mess.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 17th, 2016   Foggy's Pal is offline   #18
Foggy's Pal

I'm curious: who is this "new guard"? And how would you define "old guard"? There are people born post-COIE who would call themselves "old guard," but DC certainly doesn't think so. They seem to define "old guard" as Silver/Bronze age fans.

A non sequitur, I know. But DC has desperately wanted that old guard back. Did they get what they wanted, after all?

Topic? I read this news and think about Earth 2: World's End, Future's End, and Countdown to Final Crisis. 52 was the only weekly series from DC that anyone liked. Is there a reason they keep doing this?
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
Batman Eternal was well received and Batman and Robin Eternal is doing well. They got smart- Batman sells

Old January 19th, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #19
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Batman Eternal was well received and Batman and Robin Eternal is doing well. They got smart- Batman sells
ddf
Foggy's Pal View Post
The company only cares about Batman anyway. Maybe they should cut back books to Batman and license comic rights for other characters to other publishers. Dynamite doing a JSA book? Would be cool.

Meanwhile, Supergirl is a hit TV show and the comics branch had to rush a digital book out. Why? Because they canceled Supergirl's ongoing print book a few months before the show debuted.

Maybe instead of going biweekly for some books, they could've retooled Supergirl's comic. Batman and Supergirl Eternal perhaps?

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old January 19th, 2016   Call Me El is offline   #20
Call Me El
Geoffan

The company only cares about Batman anyway. Maybe they should cut back books to Batman and license comic rights for other characters to other publishers. Dynamite doing a JSA book? Would be cool.

Meanwhile, Supergirl is a hit TV show and the comics branch had to rush a digital book out. Why? Because they canceled Supergirl's ongoing print book a few months before the show debuted.

Maybe instead of going biweekly for some books, they could've retooled Supergirl's comic. Batman and Supergirl Eternal perhaps?
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
There was a widespread expectation of a new Supergirl print series to coincide with the debut of the TV show. It beggars belief that DC chose not to respond.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old January 20th, 2016   ronaldj is offline   #21
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

I like that idea of giving Dynamite a chance to play with some heroes

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old January 20th, 2016   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #22
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

TV shows (and movies) sadly have absolutely no effect on comic sales, as has been seen many times. So DC having a Supergirl book out now wouldn't really mean a thing. People who watch the shows aren't going to comic book stores, and people who buy comics already aren't going to buy a new book because the show's good.

Flash and Green Arrow aren't top sellers for DC, the "Season 0" comics designed to be specifically like the show don't sell, either.

And DC's discovered that Batman and Harley Quinn sell - hence the huge amount of books based around them. That said, the Bat-books are about as good now as they've ever been. You can't really blame them for publishing what sells.

If having 3 different Batman books means DC is willing to try a book like Omega Men or Prez (which don't sell at all, but are extremely good) then it's a win-win.

Old January 20th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #23
Amentep

Wasn't it announced that there would be a digital first Supergirl series?

Seems reasonable to me that they'd want to wait to see if the new show worked before bringing back a title they'd just cancelled (and they're bringing it back in the TV show version).

Old January 21st, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #24
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

And DC's discovered that Batman and Harley Quinn sell - hence the huge amount of books based around them. That said, the Bat-books are about as good now as they've ever been. You can't really blame them for publishing what sells.

If having 3 different Batman books means DC is willing to try a book like Omega Men or Prez (which don't sell at all, but are extremely good) then it's a win-win.
ddf
WeirdoLegionnaire View Post
They do very little to market books like Omega Men. They actually canceled the book and then un-canceled it. It still sells poorly will probably get the chop by issue #12.

DC just isn't trying to market comics like Green Arrow and The Flash. They canceled the Supergirl book before the show even aired. They didn't even keep the book around to see if sales would be affected by a show that viewers seem to love.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old January 22nd, 2016   starks is offline   #25
starks
Geoffan

Omega men is only scheduled for 12 (after the reprieve). I read the first six issues or so, and still didn't know what the title was about. It was moving as slowly as the Martian Manhunter title. I might check out the last issue just to see what happens to Rayner.

Old January 25th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #26
Amentep

I ditched on Omega Men myself. It was a well done book, but ultimately it just wasn't really what I wanted to read. And it was moving very slowly, which didn't help?

Old January 25th, 2016   PyroTwilight is offline   #27
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

With the upcoming REBIRTH

I wonder if the bi-weekly issues has to do with this or not. IE Will the relaunced series' start as bi-weekly as a hope to attract readership?

Old January 25th, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #28
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

With the upcoming REBIRTH

I wonder if the bi-weekly issues has to do with this or not. IE Will the relaunced series' start as bi-weekly as a hope to attract readership?
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
...OR are they going biweekly to wrap up some storylines (and complete trades) in order to have a clean relaunch in July. Also wondering if this isn't why the Lois & Clark series got shortened to 8 issues, and why Scott Lobdell suddenly took over on Titans Hunt. (Why would you change the writer on a 12 issue mini???)

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 25th, 2016   PyroTwilight is offline   #29
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

...OR are they going biweekly to wrap up some storylines (and complete trades) in order to have a clean relaunch in July. Also wondering if this isn't why the Lois & Clark series got shortened to 8 issues, and why Scott Lobdell suddenly took over on Titans Hunt. (Why would you change the writer on a 12 issue mini???)
ddf
Hmm. Possible. But not something you'd think they'd want to announce if it was going to be used that way.

WE'RE GOING BI-WEEKLY ON SOME SERIES- so we can finish their runs before they're rebooted or relaunched with complete changes in story or creative teams.

Old January 26th, 2016   Call Me El is offline   #30
Call Me El
Geoffan

...wondering if this isn't why the Lois & Clark series got shortened to 8 issues,
ddf
This crossed my mind as well. Wrapping it up the same month as the other titles reach the magic 52 doesn't seem like just coincidence.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon